Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How has the Model S affected your electricity bills?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can owners comment how much their bills and monthly consumption have increased since getting a Tesla?

Who is your provider and what is/was your monthly usage and average miles driven per month?

How much are you saving compared to your previous ICE? What car did you replace?

I don't have a Model S, but its electricity usage should be about the same as my Volt, or maybe a little bit (10-20%) higher.

I have a separate meter for the car, and very good rates; less than $0.05/kWh off-peak. My electric bill for the Volt is only $10-15 per month. I only use about 6 gal of gas per year, so almost all driving is electric. This replaces about $200/month gas bill for my 17/26 mpg (EPA city/highway) gas car.

GSP

It's a little hard to nail these things down exactly. Usage varies from month to month. One complicating factor is from time to time you get free charging for the electric car. To date no one has ever handed me free gasoline.

I charge at night. Our lowest TOU tier is $0.12 per kWh, including delivery, taxes, etc. Gas prices here currently float around $1.20 a litre.

My former Infiniti G37 averaged around 8 litres / 100 km, or about $0.10 a km (with my particular mix of city and highway driving).

I estimate my Roadster cost me $0.03 a kilometer (again, with my driving profile).

The Model S is larger and consumes roughly 30% more power, so that's $0.04 a kilometer.

Based on that and my typical mileage per year, here are some estimates:

Infiniti G37 $160/month
Roadster $50/month
Model S $65/month

Estimating this a different way (average power bill before and after getting the Roadster), I came up with $30 to $40 a month for my Roadster. At first I was surprised that this method came in so much lower, but then I realized this is probably due to road trips. My estimate above is based on city driving. My road trip consumption is generally a lot closer to "Ideal", as I'm trying to maximize range. On top of that I've yet to pay for charging while on a road trip, so it only costs me whatever it takes to top back up when I get home! A typical 1,000 kilometer trip costs me $5.

I just figured this out yesterday. Here in AZ, my rate for electricity is 3.5 cents per kWh between 9PM and 9AM which is when I charge the car. So I have driven the car 1800 miles and have consumed about 600 kWh for a total cost of about $21. This translates to 1.1 cents per mile. With an ICE car of the same performance level (20 mpg and premium gas at $4/gallon), I would have spent $360.

Based on my energy monitor it currently looks like my 40mile/day trip to work and back ends up costing me about $2/day in electricity. That's @ ~9 cents/kwh ... I will be switching to a TOU plan shortly and it will bring my rate to 1.9 cents/kwh on off peak so it will be around $.42/day after that.

Because of the temp up here I have been getting close to 500wh/mi so this is going to be a lot higher then the warmer areas of the world.

For some perspective my VW R32 that I used to drive did about 24mpg, at our current gas price of 3.49/g this same trip was costing about $5.82/day

Over all my electricity bill is about $60-$70 more per month.

Here in AZ, my rate for electricity is 3.5 cents per kWh between 9PM and 9AM which is when I charge the car.

I'm so jealous of these low rates! Here in California, I'm on a tiered time of use plan (PG&E E6) and off peak costs run from 0.10 to 0.30 per kWh! I always finish the month in the higher tiers so I'll be paying closer to 0.30 per kWh.

So does that equate to about $18 per "fill up" for my 60kWh car?