TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How have your Experiences with Tesla Motors Europe been?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Iamthecaliflower, May 17, 2012.

1. Iamthecaliflower

#1 Iamthecaliflower, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    How have your experiences been with Tesla Motors stores in Europe? I was a bit concerned with my three experiences. Over the past year I have been in contact with people from a store in Germany, London, and Italy. In all 3 cases I was told the Model S will not be available for a bit longer, and that they are not currently taking reservations (What's this about?). They basically said that the ship dates for Europe are about 1 year behind the USA. In one of the cases, I was told they were informed to tone down advertising of the Model S and X and to push for talking about the Roadster. I was also informed that sales in China will be virtually non existent, since there is currently a 100% import tax on luxury cars in China? Is this right?

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Tesla still has Roadsters to sell in Europe, and the Model S/X won't be available for a while yet.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Makes sense if they want to push the inventory they do have. I think the earliest Europeans can expect a Model S is early 2013. Not sure why they wouldn't at least take a reservation though.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Clearly many Europeans on TMC have Model S reservations.

5. Iamthecaliflower

I wish you guys did a breakdown by country, to give us an idea of where in Europe the reservations are coming from. I was told there were only 30 Reservations in all of Italy.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

There IS a map of reservation holders... You could just go look at that.

7. Iamthecaliflower

True, however only 531 people have added their numbers to it.

8. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

You can't compare Italy with other countries like Germany. In Italy they had a lot of problems of all kind of natures, the Roadster is pratically non existent.
    That they toned down advertisement for Model S is clear, they have to sell the Roadster for the next year. The Performance Model S with more seats, room, range is a direct concurrent for the Roadster.

9. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

#9 Yggdrasill, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    The largest market for Tesla in Europe is Norway. IIRC, there's currently around 350 reservations for the Model S here, they have sold a good number of Roadsters, and continue to sell around four Roadsters per month.

EVs are very attractive in Norway, as they are exempt from substantial taxes as well as 25% VAT. (Equivalent gasoline cars to the Model S easily cost twice as much.) Additionally they can drive in the car pool lane, get free parking, free ferry crossings, free toll road access, etc

10. augkuo

augkuo Member

In China, imported cars with engines larger than 4.0 liters are subject to a 25 percent import duty, a 17 percent value-added tax and a 40 percent consumption tax - total tax = 82%!!! I am not sure what the tax is on electric cars though - maybe just 17%?

11. Hache

Hache Member

I have a call from Tesla about every 2 months. The sales manager for France/Belgium/Switzerland is very friendly, we talk a lot. Seems like there are very few reservations in France (less than Belgium !), and that with my reservation number (EU P#233) and a 60KWh battery pack, I would get my car summer 2013. But it was just a guess.