Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How heavy are the front rotors ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, I dropped of my model S at the Fremont facility to get my 3rd row seats installed (Which I'm really excited! It has been over 7 months since I picked up my car, with my 3rd row seats not installed). While I was at the service center, I noticed another model s outside with the front wheels off as they were getting repaired. I had a chance to take a look at the front rotors and WOW they look VERY heavy ! The "hats" is what make it look very heavy. Does anyone here, know why Tesla made such heavy front hat rotors? Is there a positive externalize benefit that I do not know ? If not I'm going to design 2 pc rotors for my vehicle, perhaps it can increase my distance traveled per charge.

Could you take a picture of the rotors? Usually the hats are the lightest park of the disk brake. The rotor is the heavy iron. Hats can be made of aluminum. The bigger the rotor, the better it is a dissipating heat. Which is probably why it's so big in a heavy car like the S.

7racer,

I'm going to take measurements this weekend, make the CAD drawing and send them out to make them. I just did these for my Porsche, I reduced 10.5lbs per front rotor.
21 lbs in the front alone. The Tesla's look much heavier, hopefully I can really shed some weight, and improve the range and handling like the new P85 Plus package.

frontrotorweight176lbs_zpsbc480ab0.jpg

brakes_zps32a7c79e.png

7racer,

I'm going to take measurements this weekend, make the CAD drawing and send them out to make them. I just did these for my Porsche, I reduced 10.5lbs per front rotor.
21 lbs in the front alone. The Tesla's look much heavier, hopefully I can really shed some weight, and improve the range and handling like the new P85 Plus package.

I'm interested if you get them made up and the price is reasonable.

Working on it as we speak. I should have a cad model done by Sunday, send out make a prototype, then test fit. Then maybe in 2-3 weeks i'll have a full set to test and weight the difference. I will report back !

NRCooled,

I will let you know ... but im going to venture its going to be about 1k per axle w replacements per axle at about 450.

That said, the fronts weight in at about 28lbs ! yikes. The rears weight a tad more. I believe i can shed 10lbs off per rotor. Also, the rotors are not directional vented, the ones I'm designing will be.

That said, do you guys think i should make my rotors solid plain face or make them slotted ? It would look a bit off having very sporty rotors on a classy sedan ?

Any locals going to the Tesla's GTG in Menlo Park this Sunday ? I will be there.

NRCooled,

I will let you know ... but im going to venture its going to be about 1k per axle w replacements per axle at about 450.

That said, the fronts weight in at about 28lbs ! yikes. The rears weight a tad more. I believe i can shed 10lbs off per rotor. Also, the rotors are not directional vented, the ones I'm designing will be.

I like the sound of that. The price is a bit high but I will wait for your impressions to see if pulling the trigger will be worth it.

That said, do you guys think i should make my rotors solid plain face or make them slotted ? It would look a bit off having very sporty rotors on a classy sedan ?

I would suggest non-slotted rotors for ease of getting the rotors turned during pad replacement.

Any idea why Tesla chose the heavy rotors? Risk or cost? Performance? Lack of supplier options?

Well, when I put my deposit on my Model S a few years back, I recall reading that the Model S would come with Brembo's 6 piston front / 4 piston rear, with 2-pc rotors on all four corners. Obviously that was not the case in the production model and Mr. Musk would know the details why not. Do I think it is because of risk ? I do not think so. Porsche offers them in their heavy Panamera and Cayenne models. That said, the oem rotors on the Model S are not directional vented, which leads me to believe it was for cost reasons.

NRCooled,

Any locals going to the Tesla's GTG in Menlo Park this Sunday ? I will be there.

Slotted.