TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How heavy are the front rotors ?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by f1crazydriver, May 29, 2013.

1. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

Today, I dropped of my model S at the Fremont facility to get my 3rd row seats installed (Which I'm really excited! It has been over 7 months since I picked up my car, with my 3rd row seats not installed). While I was at the service center, I noticed another model s outside with the front wheels off as they were getting repaired. I had a chance to take a look at the front rotors and WOW they look VERY heavy ! The "hats" is what make it look very heavy. Does anyone here, know why Tesla made such heavy front hat rotors? Is there a positive externalize benefit that I do not know ? If not I'm going to design 2 pc rotors for my vehicle, perhaps it can increase my distance traveled per charge.

2. 7racer

7racer Member

Could you take a picture of the rotors? Usually the hats are the lightest park of the disk brake. The rotor is the heavy iron. Hats can be made of aluminum. The bigger the rotor, the better it is a dissipating heat. Which is probably why it's so big in a heavy car like the S.

3. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

7racer,

I'm going to take measurements this weekend, make the CAD drawing and send them out to make them. I just did these for my Porsche, I reduced 10.5lbs per front rotor.
    21 lbs in the front alone. The Tesla's look much heavier, hopefully I can really shed some weight, and improve the range and handling like the new P85 Plus package.

frontrotorweight176lbs_zpsbc480ab0.jpg

brakes_zps32a7c79e.png

4. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I'm interested if you get them made up and the price is reasonable.

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I'm all for adding lightness. :)

6. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

Working on it as we speak. I should have a cad model done by Sunday, send out make a prototype, then test fit. Then maybe in 2-3 weeks i'll have a full set to test and weight the difference. I will report back !

7. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

NRCooled,

I will let you know ... but im going to venture its going to be about 1k per axle w replacements per axle at about 450.

That said, the fronts weight in at about 28lbs ! yikes. The rears weight a tad more. I believe i can shed 10lbs off per rotor. Also, the rotors are not directional vented, the ones I'm designing will be.

That said, do you guys think i should make my rotors solid plain face or make them slotted ? It would look a bit off having very sporty rotors on a classy sedan ?

Any locals going to the Tesla's GTG in Menlo Park this Sunday ? I will be there.

8. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I like the sound of that. The price is a bit high but I will wait for your impressions to see if pulling the trigger will be worth it.

I would suggest non-slotted rotors for ease of getting the rotors turned during pad replacement.

9. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

Well for the prototype i went ahead and did this for testing. I wanted a dark color hat ( hard anodize) to match my P85 wheels / carbon fiber look.

frontsetofrotorsforgt_zpsc98ca671.png

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Looks great!

11. lloyds

lloyds Member

Curious to see what weighs savings can be had and the unsprung weight ratio. This can definitely improve on driveability and torque.

12. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

The weight savings are 10lbs. per corner. For the fronts. I'll check on the rears and report back.

13. lloyds

lloyds Member

Is that over the P85 rotors? Or is there difference between the 85 & 60?

14. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

I'm not sure if their is a difference between the 85 & 65 . My car is a P85 package Signature series. 355 fronts 365 rears if i recall correctly, and yes that is the net savings over the p85 package rotors on my car. The hats are massive in terms offset for the fronts.

15. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

I'm in depending on cost

16. Martini

Martini Member

Any idea why Tesla chose the heavy rotors? Risk or cost? Performance? Lack of supplier options?

17. f1crazydriver

f1crazydriver Member

Well, when I put my deposit on my Model S a few years back, I recall reading that the Model S would come with Brembo's 6 piston front / 4 piston rear, with 2-pc rotors on all four corners. Obviously that was not the case in the production model and Mr. Musk would know the details why not. Do I think it is because of risk ? I do not think so. Porsche offers them in their heavy Panamera and Cayenne models. That said, the oem rotors on the Model S are not directional vented, which leads me to believe it was for cost reasons.

18. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Slotted.

19. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

I think the anodizing would look great, especially if you have grey wheels.

20. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I realize that you'll have great weight savings as compared to stock brakes, but is it possible to have the new rotors made out of carbon ceramic compound?