TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How high can you get your estimated range?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by xytor, May 19, 2015.

1. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

While driving to Ellensburg from Spokane at 55mph in Max Range mode, I noticed that my estimated range was significantly higher than the ideal range. Something like 170 ideal miles to 200 estimated miles.
    So now I'm wondering. Can I make it to Seattle from Spokane on a single charge? Maybe at 40mph? That may actually be faster than stopping to charge once.

What was the highest estimated range you've ever gotten?

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I doubt you could make that without charging, even at 40MPH. You're driving 280 miles and climbing almost 1,700 feet.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

4. David99

David99 Active Member

I did a few calculations with different driving speed vs charging speeds. It turned out that roughly, you are best off driving a little faster than you can charge. For example if you have a charger that gives you say 30 miles per hour of charging, you ideal speed would be a little above that. Maybe around 40 mph. If you go slower, you use less energy and need less time to charge, but you waste more time on the slow drive. If you go faster, you make up time on the drive, but the higher energy usage requires more time on the chargers and overall you spend more time.
    Again, doing a few examples on paper adding up all times it's best to drive slightly over your charge speed. With Superchargers it's a little different and depends on the distance between them, but that doesn't apply to Roadsters anyways.

5. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

Wow SabrToothSqrl, 999 miles wins! Congrats!

I actually took a similar approach. But instead of using mph, I used the small ammeter display below the odometer. When the roadster is charging, I can turn it on to see the "negative draw", as if it's using regen braking. The highest I've seen is when it's charging 70/70A at a HPC, showing about 40A on the little display.
    My strategy is to keep the amp draw as displayed on that screen roughly equal to the negative draw it would show when charging. So if my next destination is a HPC, I try to keep it around 40A, which -- on a flat road with decent weather -- is about 60mph.
    When going uphill I go slower, and when going downhill I go faster (because regen braking is not as efficient as the motor).

Of course, the first rule is always to actually make it to the charger, so that trumps everything else. :) I tend to give myself about 50 ideal miles as a buffer just in case.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yea i've got 999 miles a few times before when coming down from the mountains in PA. 15+ miles of downhill will do it lol, which not only are free miles but you also gain a bunch more too

7. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

I got 175 Estimated with 125 Ideal while drafting a semi at 65 mph.

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I've seen 999 as well coming down a mountain on the way back from Asheville.

9. Alan

Alan Member

Would it not be more fun to see how low you can get your estimated range! Probably need a race track to do a proper job.

10. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D