Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How honest are you about Tesla issues when speaking to friends/family that want to buy a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an owner, a stock holder, and an admitted fanboy and I get excited when asked to talk about my car. In fact, it seems every time I turn around these days a friend or a friend of a friend is interested in buying a Tesla and wants my opinion and advice. Typically when these people speak to me they want to know what I think about my car and what I think about the company. They read a lot of negative things, most of which is FUD, and often I'm asked if I think Tesla will be around to service their car or if they will they go bankrupt. Some of this stuff is just silly of course but what they don't know to ask about are the real issues that occur in Tesla ownership.

As a regular reader and contributor to this forum I am often disappointed in reading how poorly Tesla sometimes behaves (and dare I say sometimes it seems Tesla is inept) in dealing with their customers. Things like lack of quality assurance, screwed up deliveries, delayed warranty work, spare parts availability, etc. that all get in the way of what could be a great experience. I'm willing to put up with all this but would others if they knew about it beforehand?

Listen, I'm a big fan of Tesla and I believe they have a bright future, but I also recognize it's not yet all sunshine and roses. Tesla still has lots of problems and we see that everyday on this forum. So the question is, how much of the stuff that is not so great about Tesla ownership should we share with potential or new Tesla owners?

How upfront and honest are you about these issues when it comes to friends, family, and acquaintances that are thinking about buying a Tesla?

One of my relatives asked me about my ownership experience because he is planning to make a transition into EV soon.
First, I told him that there are software glitches. Then I told him OTA updates come out often. etc..

Phone key sometimes not working, back up cam not coming on occasionally, and having to mess with windshield wiper controller on the screen while driving are some of the things I wouldn't want my father to deal with.
I would not recommend the car to anyone.
If someone who has watched dozens of Youtube videos and who is aware of all the little problems ask me about the car, then I would be talking about other things like efficiency and driving feel.
Also, I would not recommend AP unless they are aware of phantom braking and ambivalence when the lanes merge.

TL;DR = I would only recommend Tesla if the asker is already aware of all the problems and willing to withstand them.

I tell them that the car is great for certain things but a work in progress when it comes for the high tech side of it.
Basically it is like a computer. It can do a lot of things but not reliably.
The great things :
It is super fun to drive.
The battery and engine conception is great.
And of course the aesthetic of the car is second to none.
However I am not complimenting the service.
I tell them it is a good purchase, but I recommend not to do it for the automation. I also suggest them to check this forum to get a wide sample of opinions, to say the least :)

I had a good delivery experience, my car was clean and all seams look great. 1200 miles in and (knock on wood) no issues. I absolutely love it.

For the money, there’s nothing like it out there. I got a car that goes 325 miles on a charge, Is fast and so fun to drive, very safe, and has tons of cool factor. Upgraded color and wheels and still under 40k after rebates.

I tell them the truth, both the good and the bad. I’m not a commissioned salesperson so why would I do anything else?

I can usually tell if I know the person pretty well whether I think they would be a good fit. If they are excited about the tech, love the idea of going green, and don’t mind driving a car that is a work in progress, they should be a good fit. If they can’t figure out how to use their smartphone, I change the subject.

And I never recommend FSD (or AP, but now it’s bundled with everything except the base SR).

I'm an owner, a stock holder, and an admitted fanboy and I get excited when asked to talk about my car. In fact, it seems every time I turn around these days a friend or a friend of a friend is interested in buying a Tesla and wants my opinion and advice. Typically when these people speak to me they want to know what I think about my car and what I think about the company. They read a lot of negative things, most of which is FUD, and often I'm asked if I think Tesla will be around to service their car or if they will they go bankrupt. Some of this stuff is just silly of course but what they don't know to ask about are the real issues that occur in Tesla ownership.

As a regular reader and contributor to this forum I am often disappointed in reading how poorly Tesla sometimes behaves (and dare I say sometimes it seems Tesla is inept) in dealing with their customers. Things like lack of quality assurance, screwed up deliveries, delayed warranty work, spare parts availability, etc. that all get in the way of what could be a great experience. I'm willing to put up with all this but would others if they knew about it beforehand?

Listen, I'm a big fan of Tesla and I believe they have a bright future, but I also recognize it's not yet all sunshine and roses. Tesla still has lots of problems and we see that everyday on this forum. So the question is, how much of the stuff that is not so great about Tesla ownership should we share with potential or new Tesla owners?

How upfront and honest are you about these issues when it comes to friends, family, and acquaintances that are thinking about buying a Tesla?

It is a nice car, don't look too close to it like a QA guy, don't mind about being misinform from the salesman, don't mind about all those price changes daily that you will miss out, and best of all don't crash it or else kiss your car goodbye for a long time

• Informative
Reactions: MMBTUS and linkster
I tell them the truth. The good and the bad. I had one friend who was on the fence with getting one for his wife then I showed him how the window rattles inside the door if you close the door with the windows down and he didn't like that lol.

One of my relatives asked me about my ownership experience because he is planning to make a transition into EV soon.
First, I told him that there are software glitches. Then I told him OTA updates come out often. etc..

Phone key sometimes not working, back up cam not coming on occasionally, and having to mess with windshield wiper controller on the screen while driving are some of the things I wouldn't want my father to deal with.
I would not recommend the car to anyone.
If someone who has watched dozens of Youtube videos and who is aware of all the little problems ask me about the car, then I would be talking about other things like efficiency and driving feel.
Also, I would not recommend AP unless they are aware of phantom braking and ambivalence when the lanes merge.

TL;DR = I would only recommend Tesla if the asker is already aware of all the problems and willing to withstand them.
I guess I don't go to the extent of not recommending the car but I try to tell them some of the issues.

I'm an owner, a stock holder, and an admitted fanboy and I get excited when asked to talk about my car. [...]

I sell others on EV ownership, but not necessarily on a Tesla.
And I never embellish or lie - a personal attachment to a thing (a car) is not worth flushing your personal credibility down the drain!

a

P.S.: Congratulations on being an owner, condolences on being a stock holder, but why a fan-boy?

What issues? Tesla has the best car for what you are paying for by order of magnitude period. End of story.

I tell them my truth. Best car I've ever owned and worst car company I've ever dealt with. My last service experience was good but that's been the exception for me. It really irritates me that I can't give a full-throated endorsement of this fantastic car and hope they get their act together soon. Not every new company ignores their customers or treats them as if they are just another annoying customer.

Best is to share your own individual experience. Let them know what you think is great about the car, the service and buying experience. Give them a balanced view of how your ownership has been.

Don't get dragged into all the rants and people that complain on the forum. They do not represent what the typical ownership experience is about.

On the forums there is lots of poor me rants about how they have been underserved. They use lots of drama and magnification as to their own percieved slights. They shout loudly and complain with enthusiasm, while most of the silent majority go on with their magnificant cars.

I remember all those people who thought it was the end of the world when V9 software came out. They were violently angry that they could no longer put their desired mode on the top of the screen, and how the horrors would be if it had to be on the bottom of the screen. They wanted to return their cars, revert back to a previous version, and called Tesla horrible names for not catering to their own personal desires. It was quickly sorted out, but for many posters it seemed as if their World was coming to an end because they could not configure their screens with the backup camera on the top.

For many of us, the cars have been more trouble free than other vehicles we have owned. Rarely see posts about that, however, on these pages.

Issues? What issues? Owned the car for a year now. 16k miles. Only issue for me is that the car eats tires. Other than that, the car and the company has been great to me.

Wanted to also add that because of me, two of my sisters and my older brother bought the Model 3 too. Three coworkers bought the car after seeing mine. So from these 8 Teslas, they all love the car.