Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hot is heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dmurphy

Supporting Member
How warm does your HVAC heater blow? Mine is lukewarm at best. I mean, I was able to get the car from 59-72 degrees today in ~5 minutes via the app, but when I feel the air coming out of the vents - even when turned to HI - it’s only lukewarm. This will not please SWMBO.

She wants melt-your-face heat in the winter, and if the heating in Model 3 is this anemic, I’m going to hear about it ......

How warm does your HVAC heater blow? Mine is lukewarm at best. I mean, I was able to get the car from 59-72 degrees today in ~5 minutes via the app, but when I feel the air coming out of the vents - even when turned to HI - it’s only lukewarm. This will not please SWMBO.

She wants melt-your-face heat in the winter, and if the heating in Model 3 is this anemic, I’m going to hear about it ......

She who makes breakfast omelets?

General consensus is this is the PTC heater in the 3. May only be using what’s needed with moderate outside temps. Larger temp differential probably results in higher heat output.

BorgWarner’s Cabin Heater Extends Driving Range for New EV - BorgWarner

A80794E4-91B5-4823-98D8-E59114D4F9D5.jpeg

34F6A99E-01FE-4EBB-B49A-DDBAD7A7EDA0.png

5FE31F13-FF1F-46EC-8396-2FF4D4987AF9.png

• Informative
Reactions: Obsoletion
Family was comfortably warm in -30C (-22F) without jackets on while on long road trips last winter.
I’m surprised at how fast the car warms up in winter. Within a couple of blocks of leaving the office (where I park outside), the seat warmers are quite warm and the vents are blowing warm air.

When researching Tesla’s prior to my purchase, I talked to a number of Model S owners here in Alberta, and they all offered that it was the best winter car they’d ever owned. I concur with my Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Obsoletion
I’m impressed with the heat in 3. I like face melting heat, and on HI with a low fan speed it does fairly well. Not quite GM that’s been idling for an hour heat, but quite toasty. Lots of noises from the dash though, so I usually just stick to 81 and auto with some seat heaters. I’d prefer if the stat went up to at least 85 though, maybe 90. I prefer to wear a t shirt when it’s -15 and snowing outside.

General consensus is this is the PTC heater in the 3. May only be using what’s needed with moderate outside temps. Larger temp differential probably results in higher heat output.

That makes sense. Thank you! Hoping it dials up as it gets colder.

Family was comfortably warm in -30C (-22F) without jackets on while on long road trips last winter.
I’m surprised at how fast the car warms up in winter. Within a couple of blocks of leaving the office (where I park outside), the seat warmers are quite warm and the vents are blowing warm air.

When researching Tesla’s prior to my purchase, I talked to a number of Model S owners here in Alberta, and they all offered that it was the best winter car they’d ever owned. I concur with my Model 3.

It’s not about the cabin being comfortable, or even warming the body. It’s about face-melting heat, drying out the eyeballs and maybe starting eyebrow fires. That’d be ideal for her.

Me, I’m all good with a 70 degree cabin. The seat heaters are a great bonus.

... but if I can’t put it in “garbage barrel fire” mode, I’m a’gonna hear it.

• Funny
Reactions: Bblsttx and bpjod
Hmm, probably not. Never tried it, maybe there’s a cheat code.

If it’s cold enough outside, cracking a window a smidge helps the heat feel more impressive. Sometimes I like to crack a rear window if the cabin starts getting too hot, so my face can continue melting. It works best when it’s well below freezing outside.

have you tried manual mode to see if it gets warmer? I had a bad temperature sensor which would cause auto mode to have anemic cooling. Since having the sensor replaced heating and cooling can be as strong as I can stand.

I did. I almost always use manual mode anyway; doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m going to use an infrared thermometer and see what temp is coming out of the vent.

I did. I almost always use manual mode anyway; doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m going to use an infrared thermometer and see what temp is coming out of the vent.

This is unusual. Teslas have the best heating of any cars I owned - get warm much faster, very good heating in cold Minnesota winters. Check it now before it gets too cold, you may need to have it fixed.

I'm feeling the same about my heater. It heats up really quick, but seems to want to stop at about 72 or so. Any higher doesn't seem to make a big difference. If you find anything out with the thermometer, I'd love to hear about it.

Had issues with my Model 3 heater today as well. First real cold day with average outside temperature of -6°C (21°F).

I preheated the car to 22°C (72°F) for about 20 mins before I left work. When I got in the car, the cabin air still had a chill to it, which was unexpected. I set the cabin temp to 22°C (72°F) in Auto mode for the 20 min drive home and I feel like it never got any hotter than when I started the drive.

If I didn’t have the warmers on, I would’ve froze. For me, in previous ICE cars, 22°C (72°F) would have been suffocating once it warmed up.

I did further tests earlier tonight in my garage testing out the HVAC in manual mode on fan speed 10, AC off, and I don’t feel anything resembling hot air unless the temp is set to HI or 28°C (72°F). Anything less than 28°C (72°F) and it feels like it’s just running the fan with no heat. Or as I was explaining it to the wife using this water analogy. On HI temp, it felt like hot tub temperature. Anything temperature other than HI, felt like room temperature water; not warm or luke warm.

I’m impressed with the heat in 3. I like face melting heat, and on HI with a low fan speed it does fairly well. Not quite GM that’s been idling for an hour heat, but quite toasty. Lots of noises from the dash though, so I usually just stick to 81 and auto with some seat heaters. I’d prefer if the stat went up to at least 85 though, maybe 90. I prefer to wear a t shirt when it’s -15 and snowing outside.
Please carry warm winter coats in your car in case it dies on you someday. Many years ago on a NJ parkway I had a gas line freeze on a 6 deg. F., 30 kt wind morning. In 5 minutes the car was very cold. Fortunately I had a heavy winter coat and was able to walk 1/4 to a building for shelter.

Initial heating takes a few minutes to really have the desired effect if I hop in while cold and start heating after getting in, but if for example the car interior in the app is 56F and I activate the heat with a target of 76F as I get up from my desk, by the time I get off the elevator about 2 minutes later it's around 70F already if not warmer. Combine that with turning on the seat heaters, and by the time I reach my car it's very comfortable. I usually end up ditching my jacket as I open the door and toss it in the back seat while I get in even though its cool/cold out since I'll be warm as soon as I'm in the car.