Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How hot is your Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

So.... just a little fun and curious post. It's ~96F out today in wonderful eastern washington state and I glanced at my Model Y to see how hot it was inside.... 147 F! I don't think I've seen it that hot before and that got me wondering what might come next week when it's supposed to be 115 F outside!

- What's the hottest you've seen your Tesla at inside?

- Is there a way to just turn on the fan via the app without turning on the compressor? I know I can pre-cool the cabin, but I'm just interested on circulating some air...

- When you vent the windows, does that turn the fan on any more? I feel like for awhile when the vent feature was just released it also turned the fan on...

I'll probably turn cabin overheat protection on starting this weekend and just set it to fan to let the car do it's thing. I normally don't turn it on just because I always pre cool the car before walking out to the parking lot and I would rather "forget" about that feature in the "off" position instead of being on a long trip somewhere and totally spacing out that I have it set to keep the car cool. I normally only use 1% to 3% a day from work and back, so it would be super easy for me to forget about this six months down the road until I do a roadtrip and draw the battery down to 20% or something while I'm parked somewhere, lol

Cabin Overheat Protection

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model Y.

Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection

• NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).

• ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).

NOTE: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20%

I recently parked my Model Y outdoors on a 90F day. Over 8 hours I estimate that Cabin Overheat Protection set ON used ~6.5kW of energy. (My Model Y has no sun shade, only the factory tint on the glass roof and rear glass.)

I have ordered a sun shade and will repeat this test soon.

The NO A/C setting may be a good compromise between not having any cabin overheat protection and using the AC. (Note: Cabin Overheat Protection is not intended to protect people or pets from exposure to high temperatures inside the Model Y, only for groceries and other items left inside the vehicle; perhaps the Model Y center screen.

Cabin Overheat Protection

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model Y.

Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection

• NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C). This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 105° F (40° C).

• ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 105° F (40° C).

NOTE: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20%

I recently parked my Model Y outdoors on a 90F day. Over 8 hours I estimate that Cabin Overheat Protection set ON used ~6.5kW of energy. (My Model Y has no sun shade, only the factory tint on the glass roof and rear glass.)

I have ordered a sun shade and will repeat this test soon.

The NO A/C setting may be a good compromise between not having any cabin overheat protection and using the AC. (Note: Cabin Overheat Protection is not intended to protect people or pets from exposure to high temperatures inside the Model Y, only for groceries and other items left inside the vehicle; perhaps the Model Y center screen.
Ya, I'm familiar with the options, I just could swear last year there was an option in the app to turn just the fan on and not heating or cooling... I'm wondering if anyone else remembers that or if I was crazy...

Ya, I'm familiar with the options, I just could swear last year there was an option in the app to turn just the fan on and not heating or cooling... I'm wondering if anyone else remembers that or if I was crazy...
Do you mean leave the fan on all of the time (without the AC) once you exit the vehicle? Just turn off the blue AC button on the climate control screen set the climate control to remain on when you exit the vehicle (the option to leave the climate control on must be selected every time you exit the vehicle.)

Otherwise, you can use Cabin Overheat Protection setting for NO AC. (The Tesla vehicle will run the cabin fan to try and cool the cabin but will not turn on the AC.)

It was 101F today here in El Paso Texas and my model y was at 147F that’s the highest I’ve seen it which was interesting because last week had a couple of days at 108F but my model y was at about 120F no clouds either so yea was interesting

Yes I turned cabin protection off uses too much POWA in this heat IMO

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

So.... just a little fun and curious post. It's ~96F out today in wonderful eastern washington state and I glanced at my Model Y to see how hot it was inside.... 147 F! I don't think I've seen it that hot before and that got me wondering what might come next week when it's supposed to be 115 F outside!

- What's the hottest you've seen your Tesla at inside?

- Is there a way to just turn on the fan via the app without turning on the compressor? I know I can pre-cool the cabin, but I'm just interested on circulating some air...

- When you vent the windows, does that turn the fan on any more? I feel like for awhile when the vent feature was just released it also turned the fan on...

I'll probably turn cabin overheat protection on starting this weekend and just set it to fan to let the car do it's thing. I normally don't turn it on just because I always pre cool the car before walking out to the parking lot and I would rather "forget" about that feature in the "off" position instead of being on a long trip somewhere and totally spacing out that I have it set to keep the car cool. I normally only use 1% to 3% a day from work and back, so it would be super easy for me to forget about this six months down the road until I do a roadtrip and draw the battery down to 20% or something while I'm parked somewhere, lol
I think cabin overheat protection doesnt go back on if the car has been parked for over 12 hours. Might be wrong though.

The only time my Model Y is parked outside is when I'm out and about running errands. I leave the car set to Dog Mode with a set temp of 72-74. I HATE coming back to a hot car!! I charge my car each night starting at 10PM. The off-peak rate is 4.69 or maybe it's 4.89??? Anyway, it pretty darned low.

Reactions: ToasterStrudel
The only time my Model Y is parked outside is when I'm out and about running errands. I leave the car set to Dog Mode with a set temp of 72-74. I HATE coming back to a hot car!! I charge my car each night starting at 10PM. The off-peak rate is 4.69 or maybe it's 4.89??? Anyway, it pretty darned low.
Check your utility bill. Usually there are separate charges for power generation and power distribution. It might show $0.0469 per kWh for power generation and about the same charge per kWh for power distribution (power lines and infrastructure.) Add in taxes, tariffs and environmental fees and your total cost per kWh may well be more than $0.10 per kWh.