Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I doubled my tire life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I’m posting this in the correct forum if not admins please move.

I’m sure we all have experienced the same issue. Drastic tire wear on the rear of our S and X cars. Well owning a RWD P85 made that even worse but all models suffer from the same problems. From factory the rear camber is not adjustable and the cars come with a lot of negative camber as it is. I also lowered my model S so that made it even worse.

luckily I was able to find a set of adjustable upper control arms and toe adjusters aswell from N2itive Designs. I’m so happy I got these arms. What a difference. I’ve had the same rear tires on now for 50,000 kms already it’s amazing. And I don’t have to remind anyone how much money tires are for these cars.

just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested in getting them.
Website is www.n2itive.me the fellows name is Don, very helpful dude.

Attachments

• FF79A6D3-6FB5-4752-A3CC-F9967DC02A83.jpeg
    FF79A6D3-6FB5-4752-A3CC-F9967DC02A83.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 484
  • 162AEDB8-CAB1-47FB-BC65-29EE2E5FA1CF.jpeg
    162AEDB8-CAB1-47FB-BC65-29EE2E5FA1CF.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 385
  • 63128572-D10A-4D26-948F-BA0AC1795A26.jpeg
    63128572-D10A-4D26-948F-BA0AC1795A26.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
If Goodyear will bring these to America we will solve the problem. Watch the you tube video from Goodyear boss talking about EV tires.
Confirmed, they r on the market in Europe. I cant get Goodyear USA to explain.

Attachments

• 502350-e1520518271682 (1).jpg
    502350-e1520518271682 (1).jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 393
Reactions: meomyo
$550 with the coupon.

the Goodyear tires are designed to help with the torque wear. If they actually work that will be great but the problem with excessive wear isn’t from the torque only. It’s the camber these cars come with from factory. And non adjustable camer arms or bolts is the big problem. No matter what tire is used or compound this will always happen because camber creates heat which makes it wear fast. And toe even more.

I'm assuming because the toe adjustment is limited in factory spec and when you adjust the camber with the new arms the factory toe adjustment isn't adequate anymore and need more adjustability to get within spec.

That’s what I was thinking but was hoping @SCP85 could confirm. I’ve seen a few other posts regarding adjustable camber and this was the first that mentioned the toe arms.

When I bought my car, I set the lower mode at 60mph. Blew thru the right rear in a couple months. Tesla told me to raise the lower speed to 75mph. So far it's fixed the problem. He said when air suspension lower that increases camber alot. Not for everyday driving.

you might want to get your alignment checked and make sure the toe is set properly. I drive my car on low with lowering links 100% of the time and my tires are just now starting to wear on the inside edge after one year and 12k miles. Also, the fact that only the right tire wore excessively is suspicious.

After you install these you HAVE to get your alignment fixed because the toe will be way out. Not maybe or might.

These look like a reasonable alternative to BBC Speed Machine's upper links which also run about $1000 but you have provide the factory bushings and they have to be new or they won't use them.

This all was a hot topic 6 years ago when Tesla had issues running alignments properly, and always exacerbated on 21" fat tires. 19" tires had to have a really bad alignment to see it.

The main culprit was setting rear toe-in correctly and then to maximize tire life, setting to the minimum side. Many cars left the SC aligned with toe out. Personal experience here. That will wear the inner tire quickly. Tesla bought me at least one set of tires after doing this.

Negative camber has some effect but not as much as improperly set toe. The lower the air suspension is run the more neg camber on the MS. Unlike toe, camber is not adjustable with the factory parts. Tesla even supplied "sloppy bolts" for a while as a field mod to pull some negative camber out but later abandoned this approach.

Adjustable or longer rear suspension upper links could be obtained and installed from the aftermarket and allowed removal of most of the negative camber. I installed longer upper links a long time ago and am fine with the result. I have my alignment checked and verified by a performance shop whenever the SC touches the suspension just to be sure. My tires now last a long time.

There are some potential handling or safety issues with minimal rear camber, so be aware.

I haven't paid much attention to anything Tesla has done on this subject in the last 3-4 years, but this was my history on it and how it was completely resolved. Maybe this will be helpful to folks just discovering this in order to fix it right one time and not having it annoy them for years.

Last edited:
This all was a hot topic 6 years ago when Tesla had issues running alignments properly, and always exacerbated on 21" fat tires. 19" tires had to have a really bad alignment to see it.

The main culprit was setting rear toe-in correctly and then to maximize tire life, setting to the minimum side. Many cars left the SC aligned with toe out. Personal experience here. That will wear the inner tire quickly. Tesla bought me at least one set of tires after doing this.

Negative camber has some effect but not as much as improperly set toe. The lower the air suspension is run the more neg camber on the MS. Unlike toe, camber is not adjustable with the factory parts. Tesla even supplied "sloppy bolts" for a while as a field mod to pull some negative camber out but later abandoned this approach.

Adjustable or longer rear suspension upper links could be obtained and installed from the aftermarket and allowed removal of most of the negative camber. I installed longer upper links a long time ago and am fine with the result. I have my alignment checked and verified by a performance shop whenever the SC touches the suspension just to be sure. My tires now last a long time.

There are some potential handling or safety issues with minimal rear camber, so be aware.

I haven't paid much attention to anything Tesla has done on this subject in the last 3-4 years, but this was my history on it and how it was completely resolved. Maybe this will be helpful to folks just discovering this in order to fix it right one time and not having it annoy them for years.

THIS. Everybody complains about camber, but most european cars have aggressive rear camber. Improper toe will just grind the hell out of the inner edge of your tires.

Tesla calls for slight toe-out in the front, and toe-in in the rear. Fine, because that helps reduce understeer and drive-straight in RWD and AWD cars.

Here's the results of my recent alignment. My car is lowered a decent amount, so forgive the camber.

https://i.imgur.com/Z2PWiyY.png

To be clear as the prior 2 posts indicate, this is about the rear wheel alignment. Front has a hair of toe out. Never heard of anyone wearing the inner tires on fronts, my P85+ is RWD.

And most euro cars have so much negative camber it is easy to see just driving around and looking at the rears. On on my MS, you can't visually detect neg camber which eyeballs to probably about right :), about one degree.

To be clear as the prior 2 posts indicate, this is about the rear wheel alignment. Front has a hair of toe out. Never heard of anyone wearing the inner tires on fronts, my P85+ is RWD.

And most euro cars have so much negative camber it is easy to see just driving around and looking at the rears. On on my MS, you can't visually detect neg camber which eyeballs to probably about right :), about one degree.
Well now you have; Several of my Model S cars have obliterated the inside edge of tires. In fact, the first time it was so bad that when I took it into the tire shop for a slow leak the outside looked fine and when the guy from the tire shop reached all of the way up inside I was thinking "why is he doing that? even if it's a little more wore on the inside it still has plenty of tread" and NOPE! Not only was it wore more on the inside edge but cords were showing through and that was the source of my slow leak. Yikes! This has been on AWD Model S cars (did put enough miles on our RWD 60 to know if it was the same) to include a 70D and P85D.

I hope I’m posting this in the correct forum if not admins please move.

I’m sure we all have experienced the same issue. Drastic tire wear on the rear of our S and X cars. Well owning a RWD P85 made that even worse but all models suffer from the same problems. From factory the rear camber is not adjustable and the cars come with a lot of negative camber as it is. I also lowered my model S so that made it even worse.

luckily I was able to find a set of adjustable upper control arms and toe adjusters aswell from N2itive Designs. I’m so happy I got these arms. What a difference. I’ve had the same rear tires on now for 50,000 kms already it’s amazing. And I don’t have to remind anyone how much money tires are for these cars.

just thought I’d share in case anyone is interested in getting them.
Website is www.n2itive.me the fellows name is Don, very helpful dude.
I’ve been looking into these for my P85. Ive read on other forums that it can be difficult to find a shop to do the alignment. Have you experienced any difficulty with shops refusing to work on the car due to the unique design of the hardware or any other reason?
How have they held up?