Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I Eliminated A Rattle and Squeak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Next Gen seats. At certain times if I am rightward leaning in the seat, the outside bolster of the seat will rub against the center console arm rests and plastic surface of the console. This can cause a rubbing squeak. What to do?
ARTinCT

I have a better and permanent solution that will solve another horrible problem. I was complaining about dropping small items that fall between the seat and console. These items get trapped under the seat and are difficult to retrieve. My daughter bought me a wonderful item from Amazon. It is a custom-shaped foam cylinder that fills the gap between the seat and the console. It even has a precut slot for the seat belt latch. This will stop the rubbing noise and ALSO prevent items falling between the seat and console. I have black seats, making the pads virtually invisible. See the following screen print off Amazon website.
DropStop.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
This is the stuff the SC's use to resolve the seat-on-console squeak. I had to pry it out of the service manager's brain. For some reason they want to keep this a secret. (maybe the price)
They wanted me to make a service appt to resolve it on my passenger seat, while they had done it months prior to my driver's.
I ended up getting it myself and sparingly applied it to the seat where it makes contact with the console. Squeak has never been back.
The lube has no odor and does not fade with time.
Silicone, in my case, made it worse. (probably the stuff I used)
In any case here's the good stuff:
DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

For the record, I followed this link and bought some of this stupidly expensive stuff and wow, it's just what the doctor ordered. I was a little leery of rubbing anything into the seat of my car but it only took a small patch and the no more squeak and it's been a few weeks now.

In the interest of supporting the local community, if someone else has this issue and wants to swing by they can have a free squirt of this stuff for their car. It's not a big tube (really quite small) but I'll never need it all and maybe I can share a dime of it and save someone else the purchase.

Reactions: Muzzman1
I have noticed yet another rattle. This one is located in the passenger side seatbelt clip. There appears to be a complex mechanical structure in the clip itself with springs and a moving bar. Now that the colder weather has arrived, this passenger clip produces a rattle.
The solution has been to simply clip it into the seat belt latch. Has anyone else noticed this and come up with a solution?

There are silicone lubricant formulations that will damage plastic. If the one you have has a very strong solvent smell, I'd avoid it. There are food grade silicone lubricants that should be OK. If unsure, you can apply some to a cheap clear plastic. If it damages the surface of the plastic, then I'd avoid that product.
The plumber's lube recommended above most absolutely, definitely is food grade, inert silicone (think about it!); there are no solvents of any kind in it, so it is about as inert as any material can be.
That said, I'll let someone else be the first to apply it to a porous organic material like seat leather, and report back. I would think a dry powder might be preferable. And there does exist an aerosol can "dry silicone lube" - I have that in my shop in Alaska.

The plumber's lube recommended above most absolutely, definitely is food grade, inert silicone (think about it!); there are no solvents of any kind in it, so it is about as inert as any material can be.
That said, I'll let someone else be the first to apply it to a porous organic material like seat leather, and report back. I would think a dry powder might be preferable. And there does exist an aerosol can "dry silicone lube" - I have that in my shop in Alaska.

This is what Tesla uses at the SC's. I mentioned it at some point in case it was missed:

DuPont Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE / PTFE No Additives, 0.5 oz Tube: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific