Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I got Boombox to take custom tracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically you have to partition the drive you're using for tesla cam. Right away I've noticed the tracks can't be uploaded to the Tesla's internal storage so you need space on the drive that can't be written over. To partition is to assign a small portion of the total hard drive to one specific purpose which effectively makes it into to separate hard drives.

I only know the PC (WINDOWS 10) fix but there are videos on foxes for Mac which is the same concept: erase your drive, re-format into partitions, and insert your media into the one for Boombox.

Step1- you need admin privileges to your computer in order to manipulate drives.

Right click the windows start button and select Disk Management.

Step2- find your Tesla drive in the list at the bottom, right click and select the option to erase or Delete Volume.

Step3- the blue bar on the drive should turn black "unallocated" and you can then right click and select New Simple Volume.

Step4- click through the Wizard until you see a number box. Type a number which you want your Boombox size to be (you can only use five tracks on the Tesla so don't go nuts on size). Example of your total disk size is 283472, you could do 5000 and end up with 5GB if space -or so- for your music which is likely overkill.

Step5- click next and select how you want to save it (I'd just got next through this unless you want a specific letter for your drive)

Step6- make sure you select fat32 or exFAT for format (not NTFS). Name your partitions accordingly; if you're currently trying to make the Boombox one, label it Boombox.

Step7- finish up by clicking next and double-checking your selections before completing and select finish.

Repeat steps 2-7 for the other half of your drive to assign it to Tesla cam. Of you don't do this your car may only see Boombox and want to try to write over that at the Tesla cam OR just want to completely reformat the drive and undo all your work.

You can drop as many tracks as you can fit in your Boombox partition BUT the Tesla will only take the top five in the folder.

Here's the video of you're looking for visual feedback.

Is there a way to make the driving sound different from the current playing media? Mine will only play one or the other. I want my lightsaber driving sound while I listen to normal music in the cabin!
As long as you follow the steps in the instructions and the video you can pick the file you want and that will be selectable under toybox, Boombox, and driving sounds at the bottom of the list.

As long as you follow the steps in the instructions and the video you can pick the file you want and that will be selectable under toybox, Boombox, and driving sounds at the bottom of the list.

I understand that. (I thought it was clear that I am already using my own custom sounds)

My question is how to play music through the internal speakers and a custom sound through the PWS at the same time. It doesn't seem to be possible.

I understand that. (I thought it was clear that I am already using my own custom sounds)

My question is how to play music through the internal speakers and a custom sound through the PWS at the same time. It doesn't seem to be possible.
Ah ok, apologies. I haven't seen any issues like this as long as I select the custom file and play my media separately it doesn't seem to have an effect. Lemme poke around and get back to you. Of course you could try a reset if you haven't already.

Yep, I got that part. The problem is that it kills the music. I want media in the car and boombox sounds outside. I am unclear if something is wrong on my car or if this is just the way it is.
Shot my next video and can confirm that media (inside) won't play at the same time as driving sound. If I have driving sound on, and turn on media in the car to listen to music, driving sound turns off. Same happens if I turn driving sound on with music playing, music turns off.

Boombox is another useless thing from Tesla. All I wanted from it is to play custom sound when moving or reversing and when I don't want ANY sound I would choose silent file. Why Tesla, why? Why interrupt music... The engineer who did this should be questioned.

Totally agree. Fu*kin useless. Something so simple and you have to jump through fire ringed hoops and then it still only works half-assed.

All I want to to set a file that the car will play at speeds under 25mph going forward. I don't need it coming out of the internal speakers besides the music from my connected phone, I don't want to set this every time i get in the car, I don't need it playing faster than 25mph, etc, etc. Right now, it is USELESS.

Reactions: mreynolds767