Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the opposite end of the spectrum, are those used to gas cars where they run it down near empty before spending time to go "gas it up to full" again. I have run into those new to EVs who don't think you should keep topping it off, but rather are just used to "running down the tank."
The "charge it once a week" type crowd.

, I guess my basic question is, what is battery voltage at 100% and at 0% for the second case? I assume for the "new car" case the voltages would be ( from graph provided later by dhrivnak )58.2 and 44 volts. My question is: Wouldn't those two voltages be different for my two year old car?

Not necessarily different unless Tesla is capping your voltage (hasn't been done on Model 3 AFAIK - it's really bad when that happens!). Just a lower CAC (calculated amp-hour capacity) from that worst case brick. The voltage delta is the same, but there is less charge to be extracted from the battery to lower it from maximum to minimum voltage. Just less capacity for stored energy as the cells age. And the voltages are on the order of 400V for a full pack, and closer to 300V for an empty pack.

Your 230 miles rather than 260 miles is probably pretty typical. You've lost around 10-11% of your capacity. Whether some of that can be recovered through rebalancing, etc., no idea. But the 230 indicates that right now that's all you can draw from your battery (for an MR, 237Wh/rmi, so 54.5kWh vs. ~62.5kWh when it was new - both those numbers include the buffer energy of course so in reality the numbers are about 95.5% of those values).

eplacing the breather valves would have nothing to do with your battery capacity, measured or real. I don't think they even do a high-voltage disconnect for this procedure, so your car may literally not notice anything being done to it.

Understood but was curious the reasoning for the faulty valves themselves and if it affected the battery's ability to properly control temp in anyway. Then if true, cause battery issues down the road. Far fetched I know however, My pack was "popping" so hard during charging that I could feel it in the floor. Quite alarming. Like someone taking a sledge hammer to my battery pack. I'm probably going off topic. Sorry about that.

Question regarding how the car reports degradation. If the car is displaying range in Percent, does that value change if there is real degradation. Will it charge to 100% no matter the battery capacity? or does it max out at 95% or whatever if the battery capacity has diminished? Is having the display set to "miles" the only way to see variance in range..real or not?

Understood but was curious the reasoning for the faulty valves themselves and if it affected the battery's ability to properly control temp in anyway. Then if true, cause battery issues down the road. Far fetched I know however, My pack was "popping" so hard during charging that I could feel it in the floor. Quite alarming. Like someone taking a sledge hammer to my battery pack. I'm probably going off topic. Sorry about that.
Mine has done that since new while supercharging. It bangs so loud that it scares the other people at the supercharger. You can definitely feel it in the floor. Car works just fine, so I've never bothered with it.

Question regarding how the car reports degradation. If the car is displaying range in Percent, does that value change if there is real degradation. Will it charge to 100% no matter the battery capacity? or does it max out at 95% or whatever if the battery capacity has diminished? Is having the display set to "miles" the only way to see variance in range..real or not?
It's based on what your pack is capable of currently holding, not on what it could hold when it was new. Therefore, it'll always charge to 100%.

If your battery was capable of holding 76 kW/h when new, then that's when it would say 100%.
If your battery presently is capable of holding, say, 70 kW/h, then when the capacity reaches that amount, it'll report 100% charged.

I can hear some teeth grinding out there right now. Yeah..... I know. But it's good enough to get the point across. ;)

"Is having the display set to "miles" the only way to see variance in range..real or not?"

Yes, it's real. Find the constant that applies to your car. Multiply whatever mileage the car shows is available times that constant. That'll get you pretty close to how much energy is currently sitting in your pack.

Caveat: Tesla has been fiddling with these constants lately. I don't know if that chart has been updated to the values that Tesla is currently using. Even if they're not spot on, they'll still get you in the ball park.

Last edited:
Mine has done that since new while supercharging. It bangs so loud that it scares the other people at the supercharger. You can definitely feel it in the floor. Car works just fine, so I've never bothered with it.

It's based on what your pack is capable of currently holding, not on what it could hold when it was new. Therefore, it'll always charge to 100%.

If your battery was capable of holding 76 kW/h when new, then that's when it would say 100%.
If your battery presently is capable of holding, say, 70 kW/h, then when the capacity reaches that amount, it'll report 100% charged.

I can hear some teeth grinding out there right now. Yeah..... I know. But it's good enough to get the point across. ;)

"Is having the display set to "miles" the only way to see variance in range..real or not?"

Yes, it's real. Find the constant that applies to your car. Multiply whatever mileage the car shows is available times that constant. That'll get you pretty close to how much energy is currently sitting in your pack.

Caveat: Tesla has been fiddling with these constants lately. I don't know if that chart has been updated to the values that Tesla is currently using. Even if they're not spot on, they'll still get you in the ball park.

Cool man. Thanks for the info.

@SomeJoe7777 Would you mind detailing (or better yet, posting a screenshot) of your TeslaFi sleep settings? I'm interested in trying this out, but since it looks like it may take weeks/months to see any success, I want to be sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with incorrect sleep settings.

Not necessarily different unless Tesla is capping your voltage (hasn't been done on Model 3 AFAIK - it's really bad when that happens!). Just a lower CAC (calculated amp-hour capacity) from that worst case brick. The voltage delta is the same, but there is less charge to be extracted from the battery to lower it from maximum to minimum voltage. Just less capacity for stored energy as the cells age. And the voltages are on the order of 400V for a full pack, and closer to 300V for an empty pack.

Your 230 miles rather than 260 miles is probably pretty typical. You've lost around 10-11% of your capacity. Whether some of that can be recovered through rebalancing, etc., no idea. But the 230 indicates that right now that's all you can draw from your battery (for an MR, 237Wh/rmi, so 54.5kWh vs. ~62.5kWh when it was new - both those numbers include the buffer energy of course so in reality the numbers are about 95.5% of those values).

One thing I haven't really seen talked about is how degradation affects power output. I know, and I've seen the dyno's at different SoC, but say you are at 90% battery on an undegraded car, and 90% battery on a car that has lost 10% capacity, how is power output affected?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
One thing I haven't really seen talked about is how degradation affects power output. I know, and I've seen the dyno's at different SoC, but say you are at 90% battery on an undegraded car, and 90% battery on a car that has lost 10% capacity, how is power output affected?

Since the voltage is just as high on a battery with less capacity at a given % charge, I suspect Tesla simply allows a somewhat higher “C” discharge rate, at least for some amount of degradation. Which would mean power output would be unchanged. But I have never seen it measured, and presumably at some point they’d have to pull power as the battery CAC becomes lower and lower.

Of course since your battery capacity is lower you have less time to hammer the car at high output levels before your % drops to a point where power is lost. 10% less time in my case! Gotta get those track runs in when the car is brand new!

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Jeez this thread really blew up in a short time!

So. Hi, "that guy" here. Unfortunately I must embrace it, and recognise I'm the party pooper. Sorry.

There's some really really good advice in the OP, surrounded by some really false details, and also a bad suggestion or two. This does not eliminate the fact there are good points though, which I've summarised at the bottom.

I struggled with posting this, as it seems combative and/or argumentative? But that isn't my intent. @SomeJoe7777, this ain't your fault for "getting wrong" so please don't see it that way. Seems like you were fed a bad explanation IMO. This actually happens a lot from Tesla Service employees, unfortunately (as they're pressured into offering some explanation with their current understanding). You brought new information to us, which is very appreciated!

The open circuit voltage is indeed important, this has been known for a while but good to talk about directly (it gets lost in the misguided "balancing" threads every time). The voltage swings quite wildly when driving, but your battery gauge is resilient to these swings while still providing a very accurate report of remaining capacity. This is an admirable component of Tesla's battery meter.

There's much for the BMS to learn during a drive (changes during discharge and regen can reveal a lot), but a non-sagged open-circuit voltage is fairly representative of the battery state especially when battery temperature is also known (and indeed, it is to the car).

---

The bleed resistor thing sounds all wrong. Balancing setups generally aren't like this (maybe never?), for many reasons:
  • The bleed resistors, for balancing, cannot (reasonably) be permanently draining
    • By definition, the battery is not open-circuit if there's a reasonable load across any of the cells (e.g. for balancing)
  • Being the "primary cause" of vampire drain measured in the wild would require some unrealistic values
    • Stats says ~60W median for LR. 96 series bricks means each brick drains 0.625W
    • Implies chonky 1W resistors. These would be visible on the BMS boards. I see no such resistors. I don't even see 1/4W ones.
    • At 4.0V (reasonable guess of average SoC, ~73%), that implies a ~25 Ohm resistor. That is a very, very low value for a "bleed" resistor.
  • If the bleed resistors were 10x higher (and always engaged), voltage would reach steady state faster, not slower. Higher resistance equals less power draw. Less power draw sags the battery voltage less. Less sag means being closer to steady state or "open-circuit".
    • That would also imply 2.5 Ohm "bleed resistors" on S/X. This is more into current shunt territory than bleeds, and would indeed cause massive vampire drain if always engaged. But S/X are not that bad.
  • Most importantly, bleeding all bricks simultaneously just wouldn't be an effective way to balance - no balance is actually occurring this way, just a fixed drain no matter what the capacity of that brick is, which would actually induce imbalance over time.
---

I find 3+ hours to stabilise voltages incredibly hard to believe (yet I have no data to support this). What's more believable to me is that this is an upper bound for some common tasks Model 3 is doing before going to sleep:
  • Sometimes the car fetches new firmware and/or map data after a drive. It seems to remain fully awake while it downloads. As downloads are large and the car often gets spotty WiFi (garage or outside), these take a while.
  • Sometimes the car will upload data after a drive. See above, but note upload speeds are generally much slower on home internet.
  • The blower will continue to run for a surprisingly long amount of time if the AC was on, to reduce condensation leading to the moldy smell.
  • When the battery is very warm, it seems to stay awake longer (not necessarily using the chiller to cool it off, just running the pumps and going through the radiator).
Now, stabilised could've meant "balanced" I suppose, which kind of makes sense in the post? But this doesn't seem right?

---

Anecdote time. It just so happens that ever since switching to 240V charging (months and months ago), our charging habits would be ideal for this OCV theory. Especially in the pandemic where we leave the car unplugged at various percentages now, it has more of a chance to gather more readings.

The result of that? The reported capacity plummeted nearly all at once, no gain. It also still varies +-1% despite all this seemingly good data it should be getting. And where it ended up seems about right for a healthy battery, reporting about 5% degradation on a car with 40,000km on it.

What I mean to highlight by this is that, if true, it can go both directions. One person may "gain" range, another may "lose" it.

---

I'd put these as the "good takeaways" of the OP.
  • Let your car sleep. This has multiple benefits, but accurate measurement is one!
    • Yes, don't run Sentry 24/7. Car wasn't designed to be a dashcam, and does that job poorly.
  • Any "calibration" is just that, and hasn't increased the actual capacity of the battery.
And don't do these:
  • Don't: Charge to 100% to "balance". This happens at lower percentages anyways as well, and balancing to an uncommon state actually offsets it in a non-ideal way. Balancing would also take a lot of time, so doing this right before a trip doesn't accomplish that anyways.
  • Don't: Skip charging to provide more data points. While I've found some vampire drain benefits to being unplugged, not having the capacity when you suddenly find need for it is not good. There is no sense in stranding yourself because you left the car unplugged at 20% just so the battery meter is very very slightly more accurate. That's like 50mi of range of a brand new SR+ in ideal conditions on flat ground.
  • Don't: Take TeslaFi/Stats/etc. graphs as accurate. There's so many problems with the way these report capacity in general, and can paint pictures that don't reflect reality.
  • Don't: Take Tesla Service's guidance on everything regarding batteries. Some do have some generally good advice, but some have their own wild theories. They are often not battery experts, they are mechanics. That said, don't take some internet dude's advice either, me included!
---

Rapid question answering time! (it seemed like most of these weren't responded to)

Yes. The AC and heater are both high-voltage components and will draw from the battery at all times if on.

My suggestion would be to not leave the climate controls on. Turning them on even just 2 minutes before you get in the car does wonders, if possible (I realise connectivity can be an issue in some places).

If you have Cabin Overheat Protection on (it is by default), that could explain some of your drain (but it doesn't run that if it hasn't been driven for more than 12 hours). The computers are actually liquid cooled, and the AC wouldn't need to run for that (just passive heat rejection via the coolant loop and radiator is way more than enough).

Mostly, yes. Small effective capacity gains may happen via balancing, but that's a whole separate topic IMO. If there are gains to be had by balancing, they are small. If you have significantly reduced capacity due to balance issues, you have a physical battery issue that is beyond correctable by balancing.

The hole may be this: are you sure it's exactly 80% with 268 miles reported? Probably not, it's really hard to get it to hit 80% exactly.

Yes. Up to about 3% before you see the "snowflake", and presumably more after that. It's gradual.

Replacing the breather valves would have nothing to do with your battery capacity, measured or real. I don't think they even do a high-voltage disconnect for this procedure, so your car may literally not notice anything being done to it.

This is absolutely the case and understanding outside this thread, yes. Most "calibration" procedures, recommended either here or by Tesla, do technically wear the battery more than otherwise.

If it's not made clear by this thread, there are too many variables at play to make a blanket suggestion for charging habits that is beneficial to everyone.

The singular clear thing is that charging above 90% routinely is almost never good, and that is the one recommendation they're aggressive about (the car will even warn you if you charge to 100% multiple times in a row). Anything further recommendation needs to account for too many local variables and personal use-cases.

I suspect the unreliability of the below-0 capacity is due to voltage sag. They start cutting max power heavily at low SoC to prevent voltage sag from going outside the boundaries of heavy damage (made worse by the reality of higher sag at low SoC). My guess is they cut the battery out the moment a cell exceeds or touches a voltage threshold. You'd be especially at the mercy of cell variances at this point too.

What an incredibly helpful and amazing post.

THIS post should be sticky.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Multiply whatever mileage the car shows is available times that constant. That'll get you pretty close to how much energy is currently sitting in your pack.

Thanks for linking to my spreadsheet. At some point I will update the Model Y numbers and actually post this spreadsheet.

One pedantic and minor correction here (and it is confusing!): you can only multiply by the charging constant (245Wh/rmi for pre-2020 AWD 3) by the value of your miles at 100%. If you multiply the value by the miles displayed at say (for example) 60%, you’ll end up with a pessimistic estimate of total energy remaining (though optimistic with respect to 0 rated miles, due to the buffer...).

There are a couple ways to approach it but if you’re not at 100%, you could use a formula mx + b, where b is the buffer size (which is always 4.5% of your full pack energy), m is the DISCHARGE (I call it BMS constant in that spreadsheet) constant (234Wh/rmi for 2018/2019 AWD 3) and x is the remaining rated miles. That will give you total pack energy remaining.

The simpler formula that will work regardless of rated miles remaining is the calculation of remaining energy NOT including the buffer. That is always just the discharge/BMS constant times remaining rated miles. Gets rid of that pesky offset.

And as you can see since the trip meter constant is about 1% lower you’ll always see a slightly (1%) lower value on the trip meter than you expect, even if you perfectly monitor all of the energy you use (no time spent in park).

Last edited:
I'm sure that while battery chemistry can go some way to reducing problems from high SOC, it undoubtedly pushes cells and causes stress that can have long term consequences. So why not avoid when ever possible?

While batteries are older design, S85 owners don't get the choice if Tesla decides to limit their max brick voltage. So sooner or later your car could (likely to) need its max charging voltage (and therfore charge capacity) limited / revised.

Remember that balancing is happening all the time (well, most of the time) based on historic performance of bricks. The energy needs to be evenly balanced between bricks at any SOC otherwise one low energy brick would halt discharging with unused energy sitting in all the others.

So when the battery is at rest (oc) the parallel cells continue to even out charge based on what balancing / charging duration allowed them to absorb during charging. The volts settle oc and you then see where you are at.

Because they are designed to allow 100%. And no where in the instruction does it say take to 100% 2 minutes before your trip.
If 100% was going to damage your battery, don't you think that Tesla would have mentioned that or set real 100% to more than apparent 100%? The damage of 100% comes from leaving it there for long periods, months, years, not minutes, hours or days. Do you see anywhere in the warranty that talks about it? I'm pretty sure that the ONLY place that talks about it is the nag that when you leave it at 100% and charge MULTIPLE times, it suggests that you decrease it.

I dare say that there is a high probability that the battery may last longer than most of the cars. Higher probability that the car will get totaled than the battery needing to be replaced. Actually that's pretty much a duh statement. Many more cars have been salvaged at this point.

If you stop trying to treat the battery so gingerly, it will work a LOT better. Isn't that what this thread is about?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Would you please explain how to put my M3 into sleep mode? I love my car and have been following many of the battery maintenance tips you listed - particularly, varying charge levels and not charging daily. But, I want to be sure I understand what you mean by letting it sleep.
Thank you.

IF you have any third party apps, disable them, so they can't talk to the car. Besides that, close the door and never check the app, that allows the car to go to sleep in a few hours. It will wake up to check a few things periodically, and if you check it with the phone, that wakes it up.

Just like every technologist tell people these days. For better sleep remove all technology and just go to sleep.

If you stop trying to treat the battery so gingerly, it will work a LOT better.

I agree that it probably doesn't much matter how you treat your battery (in terms of actual achievable capacity when at 100% when properly balanced), unless you're really thrashing it carelessly (ignoring the nags from Tesla would qualify!). My impression is that it's mostly a age-based and cycle-based (and Supercharger cycle count!) capacity loss phenomenon. Entropy is real! What's your 100% charge level these days (and remind me of your vehicle type/age/miles)?

Last edited:
One of the most helpful posts I've seen and I have read a lot of them. I have a 2 month old LR Model Y and my battery range readings don't make any sense and the Tesla folks don't seem to know how to answer my questions. I have provided a bunch of data, charts, spreadsheets and basis analysis related to drop in range and no answers/explanations have been provided. Frankly, its been very frustrating. I am going to try what you are suggesting and hopefully it will help. Attached is my chart from Teslafi. My EPA range is 316 but reported max range has mostly been between 305 and 309 since I've owned the car. My gut says not likely I've lost that much range in 2 months. Hopefully this exercise will get me back to a reported 316 mile range. Fingers crossed.

This is a great example of how the detailed information provided by third party apps is just wrong. As an Engineer, it isn't exactly the smartest thing to created detailed numbers, like these, when the initial data is truly an guess, an estimate. That what these battery ranges are, estimates. You'll see folks talk about the GOM. That's probably the most detailed explanation of the range indicators.

The Guess O'Meter!

Reactions: VT_EE
That what these battery ranges are, estimates.

They are estimates, but they appear to always be within 1% or so of accurate. That is not to say (as the OP indicated) that you can't have that estimate of available energy increase. Just because you see a 6% increase in the energy estimate on a subsequent charge doesn't mean that the original estimate was off by 6% - it was likely very close to exactly correct! And the value that is 6% higher is also likely correct as well. Both can be true, differ by 6%, and both values can be within 1% of correct.

It just means that your available energy went up by 6%. Quite conceivable. Both values were likely correct. But the displayed value should always be trusted - it's not really a guess. It is an estimate, but by design it's extremely accurate. (It doesn't move around or depend on the type of driving you're doing or anything like that, as it does in some EVs. It's just a measure of energy available, which is quite consistent. And can change considerably on a subsequent charge, of course. Because the energy available has changed, due to rebalancing, temperature, or whatever.)

Obviously the number displayed is only loosely correlated with how far you can go. But that's a totally different topic and has nothing to do with the actual energy available.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer
The damage of 100% comes from leaving it there for long periods, months, years, not minutes, hours or days. Do you see anywhere in the warranty that talks about it? I'm pretty sure that the ONLY place that talks about it is the nag that when you leave it at 100% and charge MULTIPLE times, it suggests that you decrease it.

Yes, a large part of this thread directly or indirectly relates to your comment.

You are welcome to do as you think of course. With a new(ish) car in good order there is less likely to be a problem. The fact that Tesla takes the trouble to warn you against certain behavior at all highlights that there are potential issues. If you research older cars and battery technology you will see that Tesla evidently see fit to cap your battery voltage - most likely to minimise internal stresses in the cells. It is an issue and charging to high cell voltages does have implications, sooner or later.

Tesla is primarily interested in getting past their warranty obligations.

This is a great example of how the detailed information provided by third party apps is just wrong. As an Engineer, it isn't exactly the smartest thing to created detailed numbers, like these, when the initial data is truly an guess, an estimate. That what these battery ranges are, estimates. You'll see folks talk about the GOM. That's probably the most detailed explanation of the range indicators.

The Guess O'Meter!

Biggest risk is reading data and using it to make catagoric determinations. A lot of the data from apps is just raw sensor data and exactly how Tesla process it and what actions they take as a result is not know.