Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How I set up USB-C fast charging in the phone dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't happy with the slow charging of my Pixel 2 XL when the phone is plugged into the charger. So I decided to set up for faster charging. Here is how I did it. Perhaps others will find this useful.

I got this cable from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HVC146
I already had this car charger in my old car, also bought on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Vinsic-Charger-Standard-Indicator-Smartphones/dp/B07CNVFCWN

I used the instructions in this video to run the USB-C cable from the phone dock to the armrest and hide it under the side molding.
The cable I used is a little thicker than the one shown in the video, so I made a slightly bigger dent in the plastic at top to make it loop through into the phone dock area. Then I plugged in the straight end of the USB-C cable into the car charger in the 12V socket.

Next I set up the 90-degree angled end of the USB-C cable in the phone dock like in this video.

Now I get fast charging while my phone, eliminating one of the areas in which my Model 3 experience was a downgrade from my old car. As a bonus, I have a USB port free to plug in a USB drive for music, which I plan to do next.

I didn't measure it with an ammeter. On my evening commute of 45 minutes, I didn't see the charge go up even to 40% from the 30% start when plugged in. Now it goes from 30% to over 85% in that time.
If you have an android you can measure screen off (higher speed) charging rates with accubattery.

My guess based on your statement above is that stock is going to be around 500ma, which is USB2 speeds.

Can you take a picture of how the cable routes up near the charger? I want to do something similar, but I'd prefer that the USB cable be totally hidden. I watched the RPM video and it seems there's a visible loop coming out from the molding?

Can you take a picture of how the cable routes up near the charger? I want to do something similar, but I'd prefer that the USB cable be totally hidden. I watched the RPM video and it seems there's a visible loop coming out from the molding?
The cable is visible near the top of the charging area. Sorry I can't take pictures of my original setup as I changed it a couple of days after posting this thread. I now have the phone accessible near the steering wheel so I can use Waze while driving. I now have a ProClip charging dock attached to this mount from Amazon that I attached to the back of the main display. The charging cable runs through the side molding and is connected to the same car charger as in my original post.

I had to change my setup again because the suction cup mount from Amazon above shakes way too much while the car is moving. It makes it very hard to use the phone for Waze. So I got this suction cup mount from ProClip and mounted it on the back on the screen. Here is how my setup looks now.

From the driver's seat:
csgMrqU.jpg

From outside:
sbzdmnY.jpg

With this, I can put the phone in the holder and take it out with one hand, and it is very stable when driving.

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch