Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is home charger really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
will need 240 volts at 32 amps.

That's wild overkill, IMHO. Just make sure you plug in as soon as you get home(before the battery cools off), and you could find that even a 120/15A line would be enough. It certainly depends on how far you travel daily.

You MIGHT have trouble charging when temperatures dip below zero out, for that 1-2 nights a year that might happen. Certainly not something you should bother heating your garage for.

Reactions: Rocky_H and gavine
That's wild overkill, IMHO. Just make sure you plug in as soon as you get home(before the battery cools off), and you could find that even a 120/15A line would be enough. It certainly depends on how far you travel daily.

You MIGHT have trouble charging when temperatures dip below zero out, for that 1-2 nights a year that might happen. Certainly not something you should bother heating your garage for.

I agree that 240 volts at 32 amps is wild overkill (for me). My garage is attached to my house and stays at 40 to 50 degrees all winter. I get by with a 120 volt 15 amp circuit.

But for those that live in super cold places (with an unheated garage), then the 240 volts is necessary. That was my point (that I failed to get across). :)

Reactions: Rocky_H