Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is pano roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important? In the grand scheme of things, not at all. As you say, most people have them. That's their personal preference. Many say it makes the car seem more airy. I myself wouldn't get it since it allows in cold in winter, and I don't like sunroofs. I'm in the minority though.

It must be noted however, that if you want the Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package you need the Pano roof.

I have the pano roof and love it. I do live in NorCal, so climate is a consideration. (no snow) Yes - more headroom, especially in the back seat. Yes - better acoustics, especially with the premium sound. Yes - less claustrophobic with the clear roof. Sun heat is really not an issue. Very well tinted.

A point not previously mentioned is the whisper bars. If you might ever have a chance of putting a roof rack on for anything, you have to have the pano roof. It has the little slots that the whisper bars hook into. Can't do it any other way. Skis, Bikes, surf boards, whatever. Consider that aspect now or for the future.

I was skeptical about the pano at first. Thought it might get too hot in the summer. I wanted it though because it would be the oly way to get the bike racks on with the factory attachments. I dont regret it whatsoever. Its nice to have the few extra inches of headroom as well as it feels bigger because you see the sky. Doesnt feel like it gets hot either, I read that same comment from others before I bought and people in florida said the tint on the pano is top notch, which I agree with. Plus, I think it makes the car look better.

I feel like anyone that says the pano roof gets too hot/ cold hasn't been in a car with one in any kind of extreme environment. And I say that fully realizing that now 65 people are going to quote me and insist that they have and that it's horrible... I've spent both winters and summers with the pano roof and I owned an S without one as well.

We've driven from LA to Phoenix in the dead of summer in 117 degree heat and the pano roof may as well not be there. It makes almost no discernible difference in comfort with respect to heat. And that makes sense when you look at it from the outside. It's UV coating is so strong you basically can't see into the car from above.

They go so far above and beyond to make sure the pano roof doesn't cook you that I have to wonder how people that have that complaint own a car at all because the windshield and side windows allow exponentially more heat/ cold air to pass through and those are real problems in the dead of summer. I have to put a towel or a shirt on my lap sometimes if the sun is coming in at the right angle but that is coming from the windshield or side windows, not the pano roof.

What people say about head room is true but more importantly is the fact that it really does open up the car. Another thing to consider is resale. The pano roof is a must for many people. For that one reason I likely wouldn't touch a non-pano car or a textile car.

I reserved a CPO P85 sans pano and paid for shipping from LA to Seattle. I was so excited. I had only driven two Model S's and both had a pano.

When the car arrived I was so excited. I sat in the car and my heart sank. Without the pano I felt claustrophobic. I immediately cancelled the reservation and switched to another S with pano and waited another 8 weeks to get it. I couldn't be happier.

Before my Tesla, I never much cared for sunroofs (even though almost all of my previous cars had one). Now I could never envision a tesla without one.

Just search the forum for leaks and noise ... too many issues for me. :cool:

2.5 years and no issues at all for me. I've also been reading here since before I got my car and I've read few posts about problems with it.

It also provides a great place to hold my satellite antenna. I have a portable receiver with a lifetime subscription. I don't need it around town, but for travelling it's good to have, because I often travel to areas with no cell coverage so no slacker/tunein, including at my cabin. Trying to find a place on an aluminium vehicle for a magnetic antenna was real tough until I lifted up the roof rack holder clip, inserted a bolt, and did this... I taped the edges concerned it might fall off and scratch the paint but it hasn't moved at all after thousands of highway miles... easy on and easy off...

sirius1.jpg
sirius2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a removable all-glass roof panel in my other car (Corvette), so I opted to skip it on my Model S. For me there hasn't been a time (yet) when I've wished it was there in the Model S. When my wife and I want to enjoy beautiful weather with a glass roof (or no roof at all) we just fire up the Vette. Otherwise, in typical 90+ degree sunny Florida weather, we can stay cool in the Tesla without the glass roof.

Reactions: Xwing
I feel like anyone that says the pano roof gets too hot/ cold hasn't been in a car with one in any kind of extreme environment. And I say that fully realizing that now 65 people are going to quote me and insist that they have and that it's horrible... I've spent both winters and summers with the pano roof and I owned an S without one as well.

We've driven from LA to Phoenix in the dead of summer in 117 degree heat and the pano roof may as well not be there. It makes almost no discernible difference in comfort with respect to heat. And that makes sense when you look at it from the outside. It's UV coating is so strong you basically can't see into the car from above.

Agree with this 100%. I live in Utah where weather in summer is high 90's. And winter is low teens most of the time. I have never had any issues with the car feeling cold or hot. In fact it impresses me that I can kick on the climate control from my office and no more than 2 or 3 minutes later the car is cooled or warmed significantly.