Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is pano roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the pano roof on our 2015 70D, and we enjoy it, but I do notice heat from it and am always surprised when I read that others do not experience it. I can't account for the different perceptions. One possibility that has occurred to me is that I am tall and I also try to sit fairly high in the seat, so my head is fairly close to the glass and to the metal around the glass. And I have very little hair left! So maybe I can feel it more because my (mostly bare) head is closer to the glass and aluminum -- not sure. Or maybe I am just fussy.
Or possibly I am feeling heat from the huge black dash, which acts like a big radiator. Hard to say. But I enjoy the ability to vent or open the roof, so I would get another despite the perceived heat.

I recently had one small problem with the pano roof. Suddenly one day, it would not move to the vent position. I could open it to any other position just fine. I had an appointment for some minor warranty items, and asked the service center to check the roof. They "re-calibrated it," and now it works OK.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and Mike K
Things like this are very subjective. You would have to do a side by side test, using real measuring devices to understand which was hotter, Pano or no Pano. People who study these things know to never believe what humans say from their perceptions. A car sitting in the sun, with windows up, is going to be really hot on a summer day.

I figure this is a lifestyle choice. 5 minutes before you drive, get out your app, HVAC on. Done with worrying about heat transfer through the Pano. I know it will be better then my current car, when it is 95 and 90% humidity. That is really hot.

I am somewhat sensitive to light and I love the pano (to my surprise) Very little heat gets in and I have had it on some hot days lately.
As far as leaks etc..... I have been on this forum for 5 months now and obsessed.:) I don't remember reading any problems regarding leak issues due to the pano. And I did my research ;) Maybe it was an early S problem?

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
My wife voted no on her refreshed S 70 delivered in June. I will vote yes on my red P90D next summer. I have had a number of convertibles and miss them. Although the Pano roof hurts the outside appearance of the car (IMHO), it makes the car feel more open inside. Additional head room is not an issue since we are all under 6'.

Although the Pano roof hurts the outside appearance of the car (IMHO), it makes the car feel more open inside

Interesting! On the other hand, I feel that the pano room improves the appearance! Personally, I like the color contrast between the black roof and the body color, especially for silver, white, or red. (Obviously the contrast is nil for black.) But even with darker colors, there is an interesting contrast of materials -- glass versus painted metal. Matter of personal taste, obviously!

This is a shockingly balanced thread. I was expecting a tiny few to be opposed to the Pano. But there are a bunch!!

I didn't get the Pano. I intend to drive this car for the 8yr unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty. And then give it to a family member after that. Panoramic sunroofs tend to not age well. Tesla's has had some pretty common leaking issues on young cars...so I think aged cars with the Pano roofs will be a problem area. For that reason alone, I opted against the Pano.

I am 6'2" and have no headroom issues in the front or back.

Or possibly I am feeling heat from the huge black dash, which acts like a big radiator. Hard to say. But I enjoy the ability to vent or open the roof, so I would get another despite the perceived heat.
I recently had one small problem with the pano roof. Suddenly one day, it would not move to the vent position. I could open it to any other position just fine. I had an appointment for some minor warranty items, and asked the service center to check the roof. They "re-calibrated it," and now it works OK.

I sit next to the roof, too. My belief is that the heat coming in the side and front windows, which is not heavily IR filtered, heats up everything, from dash to upholstery. That heat rises. It gets hot near the roof. I have turned the AC to blow upwards, and when I put my hand in the now cooler space, I do not feel any heat from the pano. I know, not too scientific, right? But you should be able to feel radiation, and I can't feel it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I didn't get pano because of the extra drain on the air conditioning--I live in the South. I read that pano blocks 90% of the sun's heat, but there is till 10%. I also don't plan to carry folks in the back seat very often, so the low headroom is less of an issue.

I didn't get it because I didn't like the "airy" feel + there's nothing to look at "up there" where I drive + I feel safer without it. FWIW I don't care much for the super view on the X either. I've had many cars with moon roofs and I rarely used them, except for venting in the summer.

Reactions: DIL
Venting in the summer is the main reason for having the pano roof. I've never been a fan of sun/moon roofs, but I'm glad I got the pano. I also have the sunscreens from the Accessories shop which cuts down on the light when parked and open. I don't feel much heat from it, and if it's over 30, I'm running the A/C anyway so it doesn't make all that much difference. (I'm in Texas so hot weather is common.) I've not used the roof rack holders, but it's nice to have that ability. As far as safety goes, the automotive safety glass used in the pano is likely safer than the thin aluminum sheet metal.

Great point/counter points here. I was SURE I wanted metal roof, hated moon roofs. Sure that I'd need to drive with a green eyeshade to keep top light out of my eyes. Test drove a pano car at high noon around a traffic circle and got light from all angles--and found no issue. Noticed heat and light from side windows, but not from pano. Had a buddy bring his pano over - he even has spring shades to block even more light. I'm big, and he is bigger - bald heads nearly on the glass and no pano problems. So..I ordered my new ride WITH pano. and will get to have the existence of the coat rack and bike tie down etc functions. Then I can talk with authority as to how good it is.

Reactions: JPUConn