Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important is pano roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One telling pano roof "issue" reaction is none. :) My wife only cares about a smooth ride and getting from point A to B when it comes to a car. She has not noticed the pano roof at all. And believe me if she were hot (from the sun ) :) I would have heard about it. She is my hotty but ultra cool in my pano roof Tesla :)

I have them. I wouldn't say they were a "must have" accessory, but they reduce the light when the pano is open and they keep out bugs when sleeping in the car. For $150, it's a why not, can't hurt. The hatch sunshade is great for reducing the glare from misaligned headlights from the vehicle behind you. It's more of a "must have" than the overhead ones.

Thanks for the tip Jerry and @FlatSix911 . Since the nect Falcon launch (Vandenberg) is almost 11pm PDT, I plan to sleep in my car rather than drive home afterward. I ordered one for bug protection.......now I can sleep at the beach with my roof open. Perfect!

Every time I had a loaner, when I started driving I was looking around thinking one of my kids left a window cracked open. Then I'd realize, oh yea, this car has a pano. Is there a difference in noise level? Yes. Whether it is an issue or not, that depends for whom. To me, after few minutes of driving it stops being noticable, so not a big issue, but I still prefer no pano for this and other reasons.

I've had loaners with noisy panos as well. However, my Model S does not have that issue, so I assume they loaners just have not been adjusted to fix the noise.

I've have a Model S with and without the Pano roof, and I don't think it adds noise unless open, then it's crazy noisy :).

I think the new tires (with foam inserts) will make a much bigger difference in noise level the pano/no pano.

I've had loaners with noisy panos as well. However, my Model S does not have that issue, so I assume they loaners just have not been adjusted to fix the noise.

I've have a Model S with and without the Pano roof, and I don't think it adds noise unless open, then it's crazy noisy :).

I think the new tires (with foam inserts) will make a much bigger difference in noise level the pano/no pano.
hunh? new tires with foam insert? I did not see that on my list of options while buying. Is it something that is now just standard? or is it for changing the shoes at 50,000 miles?

hunh? new tires with foam insert? I did not see that on my list of options while buying. Is it something that is now just standard? or is it for changing the shoes at 50,000 miles?

I don't know how its determined, but several of us with staggered 21's took delivery with Continental ContiSilent tech aka 'strip of foam'. It also seems the the X is doing the same with its larger wheels. Other manufacturers are doing the same and I think the Goodyears that Tesla uses, might also have foam. Anyway, lots of threads out there for you to research, but this one is interesting because you can see it. Model X: Pictures of the inner tire foam insert

I have not personally seen it, but several people have mentioned the new version of the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires have foam inserts. I have a ways to go on my current set of tires, but I'm hopeful when I replace them the foam version is quieter.

Interesting! On the other hand, I feel that the pano room improves the appearance! Personally, I like the color contrast between the black roof and the body color, especially for silver, white, or red. (Obviously the contrast is nil for black.) But even with darker colors, there is an interesting contrast of materials -- glass versus painted metal. Matter of personal taste, obviously!

I am getting a red P90D next summer, so there will be a definite contrast between the body and the roof. It is a throw back to the 60's and 70's where many cars had contracting roofs - mostly black vinyl. In college, the first real car I ever owned was a 69 Mercury Marauder. It was a beast in its time. The Age of Aquarius and all that. Good times.

The Model S with Pano roof reminds me of it.

58RgwK8.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I am getting a red P90D next summer, so there will be a definite contrast between the body and the roof. It is a throw back to the 60's and 70's where many cars had contracting roofs - mostly black vinyl. In college, the first real car I ever owned was a 69 Mercury Marauder. It was a beast in its time. The Age of Aquarius and all that. Good times.

The Model S with Pano roof reminds me of it.

58RgwK8.jpg
The model S reminds you of "that" car? hmmm.

I wonder what it would take to get that car from 0-60 in 2.5 sec. A strategically aimed and controlled rear explosion?