TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How important is the AP hardware?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by nanijoe, Sep 17, 2017.

1. nanijoe

nanijoe Member

I'm looking to purchase a CPO Tesla, and I'm wondering how people use the Auto Pilot features in practise?
    How different is a car with AP1 from a car without AP?
    What enhancements do you get with 2.0 and 2.5?
    I have seen a view videos where people try to use the summon feature, and it does not seem to work real well.
    What AP features do work?

2. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

With AP1 you can torch ppl like my avatar shows

• Funny x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

#3 Saghost, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    The core of Autopilot is the combination of an advanced Adaptive Cruise Control that includes stop/start and works against stopped cars and all the way to 90 mph with a sophisticated lane keeping system that can work from both lane lines, one lane line, a car in front, or with reduced effectiveness from wholistic path analysis with none of those tools. Beyond that, it's Summon and AutoParking and a host of safety features (collision warning, emergency braking, etc.)

After having AP1 for the last year, I won't buy another car again without at least that level of functionality. It can be a literal lifesaver, and greatly reduces the fatigue involved with driving, especially on long trips or in serious traffic jams.

AP2 has been lagging behind AP1 because Tesla had to go recreate all of the Mobileye technology, but I'm told it is now at basically the same level, and at some point in the future it will be able to operate in ways AP1 can't (handling stop signs and red lights and city streets and making it's own lane changes to follow navigation.)

We don't really know too much about AP2.5 yet - apparently they improved the processors and it seems it has a different radar unit as well.

Tesla has promised AP2 and newer cars will eventually drive themselves with no input or oversight needed; some people believe this will happen, others don't. Either way, it'll be an interesting ride. :)

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. nanijoe

nanijoe Member

@Saghost ,

Thanks for the quick reply. The problem for me is that all the CPOs with AP1 I have seen so far are close to $60k..The new cars are of course only about $10k more (admittedly with no options), and I'd get the tax rebate (which I'm still not sure how it works)

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There's definitely a price difference - which is a combination of the age difference and the market recognizing the value of AP.

The tax credit is exactly what it sounds like. If you buy a new car with a more than 16 kWh battery pack (and it's one of the first 200,000 sold in the US by that company, which any EV you buy today will be - the credits will start to phase out for GM, Tesla, and Nissan sometime next year,) when you go to file your federal taxes for the year you bought the car in, you file an additional form documenting the car you bought, the date and VIN, and you take $7500 off of your tax liability (TurboTax happily guides you through this, I don't know about other software. I know folks have done it by hand before successfully, but both my experiences were with TurboTax.)

It's not a refundable credit, so if your tax liability goes to zero, the rebate stops there (your liability, *not* your bill at tax time. If you've had withholding during the year as employers generally have to do, you can absolutely get a check from the government for it at tax time - it just has to come from them giving you your own money back instead of giving you other people's,) and it won't carry over to another year like the solar credits do.

Typically folks with an annual income over ~$50k will be able to get the full rebate, depending on what else is in your taxes.

6. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Hi @nanijoe . I purchased an early 2013 S85 CPO w/out AP a little over a year ago w/my dad to test the Tesla waters while we "waited" for our Model 3s. At least that was the plan. I sold my WRX and we kept his CrossTrek to use when each of us didn't have custody of the Tesla. For a year we did this and after being spoiled with the Tesla, we both hated his CrossTrek (and all ICE honestly) so badly that we only lasted a year, so he then bought me out and I purchased a 2015 S85D CPO with AP1. Full disclosure, I really wanted AWD where I live more than the AP. I really like AP, but for me, and for him, the 2013 Model S is so radically better than anything we'd ever had (or that was on the market other than a newer Tesla), that even a Model S without AP anything is a great, great, car. So, it's all relative. And I always want to represent this side of the argument. If you can swing one with AP, you will love it I believe - especially if you commute on roads that make sense for it, do long road trips on the interstate, etc. But M2C is that if you really like driving, want a Tesla and have budgetary issues to consider, a non AP Model S is a really fun car.

• Like x 1
  7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

You would have to wait over a year but would a Model 3 work? Would have full warranty and ability to get Autopilot for around the price you are looking at. I think it's worth it but my car doesn't have it either.