Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How involved is Homelink install? Should I have it done before PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered HomeLink and realized I don't really know how involved the install is. I have full paint protection film (stealth šŸ˜ˆ ) set up for Oct 21st time frame and started to get thinking about if HomeLink requires front bumper to be removed or something insane like that. I probably would want that done BEFORE paint protection film is applied and wrapped around the edges...

About how long does it take? Does it require something crazy like bumper off?

Just ordered HomeLink and realized I don't really know how involved the install is. I have full paint protection film (stealth šŸ˜ˆ ) set up for Oct 21st time frame and started to get thinking about if HomeLink requires front bumper to be removed or something insane like that. I probably would want that done BEFORE paint protection film is applied and wrapped around the edges...

About how long does it take? Does it require something crazy like bumper off?
You canā€™t do it yourself. When you get it, it will be wrapped with police like tape saying ā€œremoving tape will invalidate warranty ā€œ. You will need to then request an install using your app and they will make an appointment (might take several weeks for the appointment time). When they get there, it takes about an hour.

As far as how it works, I love it. I leave and the garage door goes down, I come back and it goes up automatically. Only issue is that I had to mess around with the distance to get the optimum and consistent signal to the door opener.

When I had mine installed in our March 9th picked up model Y P, it took a mobile tech <10 minutes to install it. On model 3s, especially 2018-2019 ones I think the bumper was supposed to come off, but techs figured out how to do it without that.

On new model Ys I dont think it does, but I also think I would have it done before hand. It wont take them more than 15 minutes, I would bet.

You canā€™t do it yourself. When you get it, it will be wrapped with police like tape saying ā€œremoving tape will invalidate warranty ā€œ. You will need to then request an install using your app and they will make an appointment (might take several weeks for the appointment time). When they get there, it takes about an hour.

As far as how it works, I love it. I leave and the garage door goes down, I come back and it goes up automatically. Only issue is that I had to mess around with the distance to get the optimum and consistent signal to the door opener.

I dont think it takes an hour anymore, at least not for new cars. Like I mentioned, it took the mobile tech assigned to install ours less than 10 minutes.

Right, I know Tesla needs to do it, but should I start to push for a scheduled date now? I was initially just do it whenever it was convenient for me which might be after my paint protection film... but if it would be better to have it done first since it's removing body panels or front bumper, then I'll take half a day off work or something if Tesla can fit me in a random Wednesday or something.

Plenty of people have done the install themselves with used ones from eBay. You still have to have Tesla Mobile Service come out and activate though.

But there is always as risk.

The part is cheap and the service is free with purchase.

Amazed people buying a $50-60k+ car try and save $100 by using a used (and untested part) to install themselves.

Unlike the Model 3, they dont need to take off the bumper. Mine was installed in like 10min. They basically take the windshield wiper cover off, take off the internal frunk switch cover, unplug it, then take out 4 bolts and pull the tub out. From there, they attach the module near your front bumper, plug it in, close everything up and flash the software.

Sounds good. I think I might get lucky anyway in that I was able to set it up for the 28th of this month. I just didn't want them having to remove the bumper after PPF because PPF is usually wrapped around the edges of panels and once an edge peels up a little it opens the door to it peeling more, so less hands on around the edges of the bumper the better.