Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is .40/.42 AP2 doing for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one very curvy local “test road”. It features several switchbacks and an abrupt very sharp turn at the end. 4 months ago, AP(2) couldn’t handle it coming or going. It would wildly (and dangerously) cross over (not a few inches...more like a few feet) into the opposite lane. And the sharp turn at the end (going south to north)...it previously would be going straight, going straight...then sound the emergency take over tone and AEB warning. It could never seem to properly see that last sharp (maybe 70°) turn at all.

Then back in (if I remember correctly) July sometime it started to handle the south-to-north direction of that road a bit better. At least mostly staying in the lane...though was very jerky and mechanical feeling. It would take “step” turns like an Etch-a-sketch. I definitely was vigilant even in this direction but if there weren’t oncoming cars and pedestrians I’d let AP drive this direction on it.

The south-to-north direction remained pretty bad and has only minorly improved over the proceeding updates. It would still cross over lanes in at least one switch back. And always emergency takeover tone at the steep end curve.

But last week I tried it (south-to-north) with 2017.42.a and for the FIRST time it didn’t cross into the oncoming lane at the switchbacks. Ok, I thought, but it will probably still emergency takeover alert at the end.

It didn’t! It turned the 70° or whatever and didn’t make me take over. There’s a stop sign just after so I do have to take over a second or two later...but it made the turn!

Still be testing only when free of oncoming traffic, peds and bicycles...but this was a challenging road and I’m seeing it manage it (both ways now). At least this time. Will it be repeatable in different times/light levels, etc? Don’t know. Will be trying to find out when I can test safely. I have my dash cam now so can make and share some videos perhaps if anyone is interested.

I have one very curvy local “test road”. It features several switchbacks and an abrupt very sharp turn at the end. 4 months ago, AP(2) couldn’t handle it coming or going. It would wildly (and dangerously) cross over (not a few inches...more like a few feet) into the opposite lane. And the sharp turn at the end (going south to north)...it previously would be going straight, going straight...then sound the emergency take over tone and AEB warning. It could never seem to properly see that last sharp (maybe 70°) turn at all.

Then back in (if I remember correctly) July sometime it started to handle the south-to-north direction of that road a bit better. At least mostly staying in the lane...though was very jerky and mechanical feeling. It would take “step” turns like an Etch-a-sketch. I definitely was vigilant even in this direction but if there weren’t oncoming cars and pedestrians I’d let AP drive this direction on it.

The south-to-north direction remained pretty bad and has only minorly improved over the proceeding updates. It would still cross over lanes in at least one switch back. And always emergency takeover tone at the steep end curve.

But last week I tried it (south-to-north) with 2017.42.a and for the FIRST time it didn’t cross into the oncoming lane at the switchbacks. Ok, I thought, but it will probably still emergency takeover alert at the end.

It didn’t! It turned the 70° or whatever and didn’t make me take over. There’s a stop sign just after so I do have to take over a second or two later...but it made the turn!

Still be testing only when free of oncoming traffic, peds and bicycles...but this was a challenging road and I’m seeing it manage it (both ways now). At least this time. Will it be repeatable in different times/light levels, etc? Don’t know. Will be trying to find out when I can test safely. I have my dash cam now so can make and share some videos perhaps if anyone is interested.

Yes please - would love to see your dash cam vid if you get a chance.

Its way better. Basically this is what we expected in Q1 2017. So now we're only 7-9 months behind! Maybe they can close that gap further under Karpathy.

I would say most expected EAP by Q1/2017. You know, the four camera, auto lange changing enhanced AP - not chasing AP1 parity 9 months later. Reading those old threads is pretty revealing - I recommend it to anyone - it is pretty obvious how the expectations Tesla set differed from how they evolved over time as it became apparent how far behind Tesla was...

Reactions: Swift
I would say most expected EAP by Q1/2017. You know, the four camera, auto lange changing enhanced AP - not chasing AP1 parity 9 months later. Reading those old threads is pretty revealing - I recommend it to anyone - it is pretty obvious how the expectations Tesla set differed from how they evolved over time as it became apparent how far behind Tesla was...

I was only expecting AP1 parity, as promised, by December 31 2016. I figured EAP would take some more time. To not have parity even now is disappointing but not as much as being lied to by Tesla (CEO to sales repeated the same clearly untrue statement about my car having AP1 features at delivery on Dec 23 or at least a week later. That became end of January. Which snowballed into the cluster **** that is Ap2.

Having been stuck on .34 for almost 2 months I must say that .42 is light-years better for me. I would not use AP2 with my family in the car because it was so erratic and clumsy that it was irritating. .42 has seemingly brought SilkySmooth SomethingSpecial to my car. THANK GOODNESS and FINALLY!!!!!

Reactions: _jal_ and croman
Yep, I drive from LA to Newport Beach regularly and I've done this on just about every version of AP2 software since March.

I've always had to stay in the lane #3 (from the left, 1-indexed) for EAP to be usable, since in lane #2 it always mis-identified the HOV double-yellow and would bounce back and forth and in lane #1 (HOV lane) it would flap on tar markings and poor line markings scaring the crap out of me by going too close to the wall. Lane #3 always worked okay but with traffic I'd just drive manually in the HOV lane.

With 0.42 I can now drive in lane #1 (HOV) the whole trip. There are still a couple areas that are sketchy due to the lane being so close to the wall, but I've never even been able to get to that point before.

Big improvement, but still a lot to go...

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
I have video of a highway transition turn I would never have trusted before, but .24 handled it with flying colors. Would have to edit it down from a 16 minute iPhone video to post it though. Need to either get a dash cam or a better mount than the X-Grip I have on a SeaSucker in the lower left corner of the windshield. Far too wobbly at speed.

So far, .42 is looking very positive. Not prefect, but vastly improved.

I was only expecting AP1 parity, as promised, by December 31 2016. I figured EAP would take some more time. To not have parity even now is disappointing but not as much as being lied to by Tesla (CEO to sales repeated the same clearly untrue statement about my car having AP1 features at delivery on Dec 23 or at least a week later. That became end of January. Which snowballed into the cluster **** that is Ap2.

This is what I ordered for December 2016... But you are of course right we're not at AP1 parity yet either (no IC vehicle identification, limited other lane display, no speed limit recognition, auto-steer cability parity debatable, and related, no auto-wipers)...

Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Exactly. I didn’t order auto pilot 0.8. It was supposed to be enhanced from the get-go, and capable of full self driving within months as evidenced by the phony video.

The fact that performance is not even equal to the previous version of auto pilot basically proves a giant fraud. Not sure how else you can see it if you pay more and get less.

Are you guys really that excited about minute changes in lane-keeping ability?

I guess this goes to the different expectations. I bought into AP2 not for a steering assist, but for the enhanced capabilities. For example I really would like traffic sign detection, auto lane changing and new features like that in my software updates. That would be exciting and interesting to test out.

I'd be all over that on the road. Seeking to see how some bend somewhere is different on a new point release... I just can't see the fascination in that. Don't get me wrong, I do use auto-steer etc. when suitable, but I really don't see the excitement about small changes to it.

I did report on .36 when I took a longer trip and will get back to you on more .40+ experiences as I get them, but when we were sold EAP a year ago, it really gets a bit boring. How about some FSD differentiating features?

I'd be all over that on the road. Seeking to see how some bend somewhere is different on a new point release... I just can't see the fascination in that.

Ha! Yeah, I get that. In the grand scheme of things (as per the screenshot of capabilities you posted), they are making very small improvements at a relatively slow pace. Agreed. Not sure if the improvement in my curvy test road is solely due to 2017.42.a. Perhaps it has gotten better because of "fleet learning" (quotes because we don't know how much of that is practically being used now vs hype/promises of how it will be used in the future).

Hopefully we will see some new capabilities (that check off one or more of the other promised enhanced AP features) before too long. (crosses-fingers)

Reactions: oktane
I have video of a highway transition turn I would never have trusted before, but .24 handled it with flying colors. Would have to edit it down from a 16 minute iPhone video to post it though. Need to either get a dash cam or a better mount than the X-Grip I have on a SeaSucker in the lower left corner of the windshield. Far too wobbly at speed.

So far, .42 is looking very positive. Not prefect, but vastly improved.

Can you describe the highway transition turn? Would you really say it went from one highway to another unassisted and not by "luck"? I once (maybe twice) had it "transition" technically from one highway to another but that was only because it was "tricked" a bit in that I was in a lane that split/Y (one highway continuing to the left and a different highway to the right) and AP happened to keep to the side of the split that would result in us "transitioning" to the different highway. Are you describing something like this? Or something else?

Well I do say there is often a spooky silence from some of the consistently negative folks after positive news.... followed by reemergence and motives of unknown origin... at least with other folks like @BigD0g , we see a normal range of emotion up and down depending on the news of the day and performance of autopilot. But still positive and enthusiastic tone. Other folks who complain in a regular pattern will show moments of feeling positive and negative but are clearly club members in the sense of they own a Tesla and may feel inpatient or disappointed by the wait but still enthusiastic. Other like blader are drive by shooters of our lovely lawn party

I'd complain more, but really it doesn't matter they don't care and they have sooooo missed the delivery mark that it's comical now. So, I'm more apathetic now, and we'll wait and see what Santa brings. Until then, I'll just keep playing under the covers and seeing what I can find out ;)

Can you describe the highway transition turn? Would you really say it went from one highway to another unassisted and not by "luck"? I once (maybe twice) had it "transition" technically from one highway to another but that was only because it was "tricked" a bit in that I was in a lane that split/Y (one highway continuing to the left and a different highway to the right) and AP happened to keep to the side of the split that would result in us "transitioning" to the different highway. Are you describing something like this? Or something else?

No, it was not an AP automatically driven transition, since that's not enabled yet, as we all know. It was a lane split into a dedicated exit lane which led to a hard left turn, one that earlier releases prior to .42 failed on. This time it handled it very well, although slower than prior version attenpts as there was traffic ahead going slower than I would have normally.

Shortened video here.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Returning to the topic, my experiences of AP2, I actually do not know why .36 was somewhat bad on one stretch of motorway (ghostbraking, a zig-zagging incident), while pretty great on another (the roadtrip). Analyzing AP2 is a frustratingly inexact science. But I do know 0.36 finally allowed me to drive AP for most of that road trip - an earlier version on the same route was not nearly as usable.

So I see both gradual improvements, some back and forth, as well as what I assume are regional/road differences affecting stuff...

What I've learned is to give it time. I'll know over time once some version really is solid, but it will take some time to know.

Last edited: