Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is AP2 on the norcal/socal drive route I-5 / grapevine / CA-152?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I-5 is golden for AP. I've never used AP on the grapevine but the turns are pretty gradual (more gradual than 152) so should be good.

You can use it no problem on most of 152 (Pacheco pass) -- heading westbound, when coming down the pass at high speeds with the center wall, some people say they have used AP no problem but I am not that brave.

(I have an AP1 model X)

Reactions: bmah
I have used EAP on the I5/Grapevine route three times since taking ownership of my X last July. It works very well and makes the drive much more relaxing and enjoyable. With over 9,000 miles on my X already (including most recently a 2,300 mile roundtrip to New Mexico) I would hate driving without EAP on the freeway, anywhere. Totally spoiled.

@McManX I just did the westbound 152/Pacheco Pass this morning on EAP. My preference on the steep downhill is to set TACC on 60 and stay in the right hand lane. No worries.

There is a weird point on 152 at the 156 intersection at coordinates 36.9683, -121.3844 where the curving single lane leading off to the right (westerly) has a kink in the lane lines that I have always been unable to understand why they are painted that way. EAP will track the lane lines but at that point appears to be heading off to the left towards the wall and I don’t trust that it will correct in time so I always drive that curve manually. Probably EAP will negotiate the curve successfully. But I’m not willing to trust it that far. I take the curve straddling the inside lane line at that point, as there is plenty of paving there to use for that purpose.