Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is everyone charging their AirPods with the wireless charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've gotten spoiled with the wireless charger in the center console. I never carry a charging cable for my phone anymore, but then I'm out of luck when my AirPods need a charge. Has anyone found a good way to get AirPods to charge on the wireless charger? It needs to be spaced up quite a bit for it to actually work, and they usually just fall once I start driving.

I was taking a look at this "AirPods booster seat" accessory thats made specifically for Teslas, but I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it yet or had better options? If so, let me know!

1644468559050.png

• Disagree
Reactions: GadgetGary
Wow, that's kinda steep for what it is. You could get one 3d printed or laser cut for a lot less, I'd think.

I can make a .stp file for that, upload it to grab cad, anyone can print it out at their favorite online vendor or their own printer. Or just copy the dimensions and cut out your own.

But yeah, I just plug mine in to one of the cords I got to leave in the car. Much faster too. Use it for my phone a lot also, wireless is really slow.

Reactions: GadgetGary
I purposely sought out a March 2021 build last year because it had the built-in wireless charger with the new console (and heated steering wheel, dual pane windows, etc).. and it's honestly useless. Useless even for charging my iPhone, I cant imagine trying to use it to charge AirPods. The wireless charging in my 2021 MY is maybe about.. 20% reliable with my phone. It almost never charges when leaving the phone in its case.. and even taking off the case, wireless charging is still hit or miss.. as soon as I drive around a corner the phone will slide around, and charging will stop. So I depend on wired charging only when driving my Y.

As you can imagine I have a full array of 3' charging cables tucked into the center console. Four (4) USBC-to-lightning.. so that wife & I can charge our iPhones and kids can charge their iPads in the rear.. all using the built-in USB-C ports in the vehicle. I also use these cables to charge accessories like my AirPods which stay in my car (I work from home.. so it's not like I need to use them around the house). I also keep one USB-C to USB-C in the console to charge my Macbook (my wife occasionally uses it to charge hers). Finally, I keep a couple of adapters so that I can connect/charge a legacy device.. like the USB micro on my Xbox game controller.. which also stays in the center console.

I purposely sought out a March 2021 build last year because it had the built-in wireless charger with the new console (and heated steering wheel, dual pane windows, etc).. and it's honestly useless. Useless even for charging my iPhone, I cant imagine trying to use it to charge AirPods. The wireless charging in my 2021 MY is maybe about.. 20% reliable with my phone. It almost never charges when leaving the phone in its case.. and even taking off the case, wireless charging is still hit or miss.. as soon as I drive around a corner the phone will slide around, and charging will stop. So I depend on wired charging only when driving my Y.

As you can imagine I have a full array of 3' charging cables tucked into the center console. Four (4) USBC-to-lightning.. so that wife & I can charge our iPhones and kids can charge their iPads in the rear.. all using the built-in USB-C ports in the vehicle. I also use these cables to charge accessories like my AirPods which stay in my car (I work from home.. so it's not like I need to use them around the house). I also keep one USB-C to USB-C in the console to charge my Macbook (my wife occasionally uses it to charge hers). Finally, I keep a couple of adapters so that I can connect/charge a legacy device.. like the USB micro on my Xbox game controller.. which also stays in the center console.
I have zero issues charging either my iPhone XR or my wife's new 13 in the new console. Both have cases.

Strange thing to purposely seek out -- EVERY Model Y has come with a wireless charging pad regardless of center console.

OP, you might look into the wireless charging trays offered by companies like Jeda.

Also, Jowua has a stand for $5: AirPods Charger Stand

I have zero issues charging either my iPhone XR or my wife's new 13 in the new console. Both have cases.
Wonder if its something to do with the size of my phone. I have the 13 Pro Max.. and had the 12 Pro Max when I originally purchased the vehicle.

Neither charges even remotely reliable.

I do notice if I flip the phone upside down its basically 50/50 at that point. I got that tip from someone who was having the same issues.. But thats also useless as Im generally running Waze or some other app on my phone while driving and orientation does not flip upside down.

Wonder if its something to do with the size of my phone. I have the 13 Pro Max.. and had the 12 Pro Max when I originally purchased the vehicle.

Neither charges even remotely reliable.

I do notice if I flip the phone upside down its basically 50/50 at that point. I got that tip from someone who was having the same issues.. But thats also useless as Im generally running Waze or some other app on my phone while driving and orientation does not flip upside down.
Could be - I've seen posts where people have had issues with iPhone Mini (if that's what it's called) as the actual charging element seems to be centered in the pad.

Here is a design that I put together after reading this thread. This is simply a block to move the airpod charging case to the center of the charging coil. As you can see, I use the silicone case and at least with my MY, it will charge (see third photo and you can see the small red light). Tested it out this morning with this in place and the case did not fall off. Its designed it so you can leave this on the charging pads and still close the charging door. Print away.

Airpod wireless charging adapter by chan_man