Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is Model 3 RWD in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

How is the M3 RWD in the snow? With all season tires, is it sufficient with the occasional snow storm in areas with hills? I Or would the dual motor AWD version be a necessity? Preference is to stick with all seasons and not have dedicated snows.

I have a heavy gas guzzling SUV that has AWD and all seasons that I thinking of replacing with a Tesla; it's been great for me in the Seattle area that has hills galore. So I'm curious how the M3 RWD would do in the snow, esp with its lower center of gravity which I assume would improve winter traction.

After 3 winters in the 3 RWD. I didn't have too many issues. One winter on all seasons. Two with dedicated snows. Got stuck but once on my own driveway(all seasons, hadn't made switch yet). Like many cars in the winter keeping the momentum is key. Especially RWD in snow. Slow down too much and you can get stuck on the top of the snow.

I did plenty of driving in the UP of Michigan and in in Northern Ontario in Jan. and Feb. North side of Lake Superior. Pretty experienced winter driver. Kind of live for it. Dedicated snows are a pain I get it. Yet I think worth it for my usage. Your situation might be different. Yet heavy snow and ice don't work well with all seasons. In those cases I would let the road crews do a days worth of work before venturing out.

Hi everyone,

How is the M3 RWD in the snow? With all season tires, is it sufficient with the occasional snow storm in areas with hills? I Or would the dual motor AWD version be a necessity? Preference is to stick with all seasons and not have dedicated snows.

I have a heavy gas guzzling SUV that has AWD and all seasons that I thinking of replacing with a Tesla; it's been great for me in the Seattle area that has hills galore. So I'm curious how the M3 RWD would do in the snow, esp with its lower center of gravity which I assume would improve winter traction.

If you live where it snows, you likely know this (or should) but the tires are what help you stop. AWD vs RWD helps you start moving, not stop. A RWD vehicle with snow tires is better than an AWD vehicle with All seasons, and both are better than either version with summer tires.

Why do you "prefer not to have dedicated snows" if you are in a place where it snows? I am not in such a place, so help me understand why someone wouldnt want the best stopping power they can have (which is tires, not AWD vs RWD) in a place where driving conditions can be challenging sometimes?

If you live where it snows, you likely know this (or should) but the tires are what help you stop. AWD vs RWD helps you start moving, not stop. A RWD vehicle with snow tires is better than an AWD vehicle with All seasons, and both are better than either version with summer tires.

Why do you "prefer not to have dedicated snows" if you are in a place where it snows? I am not in such a place, so help me understand why someone wouldnt want the best stopping power they can have (which is tires, not AWD vs RWD) in a place where driving conditions can be challenging sometimes?

My preference on not having dedicated snows is because it doesn't snow that frequently here in Seattle, but when it does snow, we get quite a few inches, especially the past few years. And I don't have the time nor do I want to spend the extra time or energy swapping out tires.

I've had FWD cars with all seasons and AWD car/suv with all seasons, and by far my AWD vehicles with all seasons have gotten me safely from point A to point B in the winters, even up to the ski resorts. Never had the need to get dedicated snows. The AWD is what has allowed me to go up the steep hills without slipping. When I had my FWD car it was fine in areas that were flat and level, but with hills/linclines, forget about it, not even the inclined driveway.

After 3 winters in the 3 RWD. I didn't have too many issues. One winter on all seasons. Two with dedicated snows. Got stuck but once on my own driveway(all seasons, hadn't made switch yet). Like many cars in the winter keeping the momentum is key. Especially RWD in snow. Slow down too much and you can get stuck on the top of the snow.

I did plenty of driving in the UP of Michigan and in in Northern Ontario in Jan. and Feb. North side of Lake Superior. Pretty experienced winter driver. Kind of live for it. Dedicated snows are a pain I get it. Yet I think worth it for my usage. Your situation might be different. Yet heavy snow and ice don't work well with all seasons. In those cases I would let the road crews do a days worth of work before venturing out.

Thanks for sharing. I like to think I'm a pretty experienced winter driver as well, and tend to be more concerned with what others will do to me than what I will do to them. Never had a RWD vehicle. Driving dynamics seem fun in the summer, rain time and winter is a question.

I live in Minnesota where we get a bunch of snow.
Each winter we put winter tires on my wife’s Model 3, and leave the all seasons on mine.
I have been driving for 35 years, here is how I would order how well various vehicle types handle snow, from best to worst.

AWD Tesla with snow tires.
RWD Tesla with snow tires.
AWD Tesla with all seasons.
RWD Tesla with all seasons.
AWD ICE with snow tires.
FWD ICE with snow tires.
AWD ICE with all seasons.
RWD ICE with snow tires tied with FWD ICE with all seasons.

The even distribution of weight and very low center of gravity helps winter driving immensely.
Given the choice of AWD or dedicated snow tires, I’ll take winter tires every time.
They aren’t just for snow, they handle the cold better than all season tires.

I had no trouble moving in the snow with my all seasons on my RWD M3, but stopping was a problem. I, therefore, bought a second set of wheels with Michelen snow tires. Now, I can't imagine winter driving and stopping being any better with AWD. NTB changes them for me for $20.

If you get a considerable amount of snow, I think the decision is either snows or awd. I have driven 10+ years with FWD, AWD, and RWD cars in the snow. Where I live, snow tires are worth the time and money. Especially when you remember they make your "summer" set last longer.

Here is my RWD with Michelin X-Ice tires. Drove through ~two feet of snow. And then did some donuts.

Attachments

• IMG_7036.jpeg
    IMG_7036.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 2,123
I live in Seattle and this past winter when we had the snow storm it got quite icy and I saw cars sliding all over the road. I have LR RWD With all seasons and was impressed how in-control the car felt. It stayed in a straight line when it slid a little and tamped down quickly to stop.

The biggest risk to me were all the idiots who have no idea how to drive in snow/ice and were all over the place. I grew up in New England and drove in snow my whole life but it doesn’t snow that often here so I get it, but the car was not my concern

My preference on not having dedicated snows is because it doesn't snow that frequently here in Seattle, but when it does snow, we get quite a few inches, especially the past few years. And I don't have the time nor do I want to spend the extra time or energy swapping out tires.

If you have some experience with winter driving, including the occasional slipping, you'll be just fine with all-seasons, given your description of Seattle winters. I'm in New England. Conditions are worse here, and I've been amazed how well RWD + all seasons performs.

That said, I recently got a set of dedicated winter tires, and wow, even more control.

I live in Minnesota where we get a bunch of snow.
Each winter we put winter tires on my wife’s Model 3, and leave the all seasons on mine.
I have been driving for 35 years, here is how I would order how well various vehicle types handle snow, from best to worst.

AWD Tesla with snow tires.
RWD Tesla with snow tires.
AWD Tesla with all seasons.
RWD Tesla with all seasons.
AWD ICE with snow tires.
FWD ICE with snow tires.
AWD ICE with all seasons.
RWD ICE with snow tires tied with FWD ICE with all seasons.

The even distribution of weight and very low center of gravity helps winter driving immensely.
Given the choice of AWD or dedicated snow tires, I’ll take winter tires every time.
They aren’t just for snow, they handle the cold better than all season tires.

Well, I've been driving mostly in Chicago for 50 years, and I love my Tesla; but, you give me ANY ICE with AWD and GOOD winter (snow is kinda obsolete terminology) tires, and I will run circles around your RWD and AWD Tesla with the all-seasons! Tesla's 3 has damn good "traction management"; no amount of management wizardry can compensate for no traction!
Mediocre ground clearance is another physical limitation of the 3 in real wintry conditions, and I fail to grasp how a lower center of gravity pays much in the way of dividends in snow; the low lateral forces attainable make it less relevant than in the dry.

Also in Chicago and have had no trouble with my RWD on all seasons for the past two winters.

Initially, I wanted the AWD but couldn't wait that long so took the first available with the intent to try a winter with all seasons then, if unhappy, try with all weathers (common name for the snow rated all seasons mentioned above) then, if unhappy, try dedicated snows and, if all that failed, trade in for an AWD.

Having spent most of my life driving front or 4-wheel drive vehicles, I was concerned but it was completely unfounded. Aside from the one time I got stuck in an ice/snow rut in an alley which is a common problem for all vehicles entering garages in my neighborhood, my RWD Model 3 on all seasons has been one of the most sure-footed vehicles I've ever driven. Unfortunately, that one time required a full bag of salt to resolve (shoveling, slip start, rocking, rugging didn't work). After that, I stuck a bag in my trunk during winter but never needed it and I doubt it added enough weight to make a difference. Just, as mentioned above, do my best to keep the momentum going when entering my garage if the alley has snow/ice.

I completely understand the desire not to change out tires considering winter tires shouldn't be used in higher temperatures. Chicago's winters, lately, have vacillated from days well below freezing and days with temps in the upper 70s so changing tires on a daily basis would be annoying. Depending on the price, quality, noise, and eco ratings, I may still consider all weathers for my next set but only because I'm curious not because I'm worried.

Also in Chicago and have had no trouble with my RWD on all seasons for the past two winters.

Initially, I wanted the AWD but couldn't wait that long so took the first available with the intent to try a winter with all seasons then, if unhappy, try with all weathers (common name for the snow rated all seasons mentioned above) then, if unhappy, try dedicated snows and, if all that failed, trade in for an AWD.

Having spent most of my life driving front or 4-wheel drive vehicles, I was concerned but it was completely unfounded. Aside from the one time I got stuck in an ice/snow rut in an alley which is a common problem for all vehicles entering garages in my neighborhood, my RWD Model 3 on all seasons has been one of the most sure-footed vehicles I've ever driven. Unfortunately, that one time required a full bag of salt to resolve (shoveling, slip start, rocking, rugging didn't work). After that, I stuck a bag in my trunk during winter but never needed it and I doubt it added enough weight to make a difference. Just, as mentioned above, do my best to keep the momentum going when entering my garage if the alley has snow/ice.

I completely understand the desire not to change out tires considering winter tires shouldn't be used in higher temperatures. Chicago's winters, lately, have vacillated from days well below freezing and days with temps in the upper 70s so changing tires on a daily basis would be annoying. Depending on the price, quality, noise, and eco ratings, I may still consider all weathers for my next set but only because I'm curious not because I'm worried.

From Chicago as well an our last two winter were very light and not even normal

I completely understand not wanting a second set of wheels/tires, so as recommended above, I went with the CrossClimate+. Almost all the benefits of summer tires, but also keep their traction in the cold, and are snow rated for occasional snowfalls. They really are the perfect tire for the West (Wet) Coast.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin