Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is my '22 MSLR in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought my first tesla with the stock 19" wheels since they also came with all season tires.

I do realize nothing beats snows, so please don't reply with that...

I'm mostly curious how well the AWD system really is in this car? It does only have the front/rear motors, but is it able to apply torque to a wheel with grip (or brake on a wheel that slips)?

I have a 2022 S LR and it is great in the snow. I do have real snow tires on it but your all season tires should work well.
Prior to this I had a 2015 S85D and it was also great in the snow.
Tesla has great ESC and TC which adjust power and braking to all four wheels.
I've tried to get these cars to slip in the snow but the systems keep them solid.

I have a 2022 S LR with the Continental All Season tires. On Christmas Eve I drove many miles on snow covered highways and country roads in below zero (F) temperatures. I was very impressed with how well it handled. I was able to keep traction with full regen braking.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Well, it’s not a silver bullet. So don’t get high hopes, it does have excellent TC and it has performed extremely good but the right formula is dedicated winter tires. Worth to learn from this unfortunate situation. If you have the possibility to purchase this car then why not to use proper tyres. We need to keep them on for four month over here so it does give us a challenge some times.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 2013 RWD Model S with winter tires and a 2022 S with the Continental all seasons. I just had the opportunity to drive both cars in pretty heavy snow on the same mountain road on the same day in the Tahoe area. The 2013 got completely stuck and we had to put chains on to get it out. The 2022 S was a champ and did great with the all seasons.

I’m pretty impressed with the snow performance of the new S.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Yea, I do realize the advantage of dedicated winter tires. My last car had performance summer tires and I had a separate set of rims with snows on them. It was great, but it was a pain to time when to switch and I was really hoping that I could have a reasonable set of all seasons and call it a day (or year).

I live in MA so we do get plenty of snow. But I am not so rural/remote that I have to deal with untreated roads generally at all.

We still haven't gotten enough snow for me to do any testing myself, so I was mostly curious if folks feel like they have done reasonably well with the original all seasons on (which it sounds like they should be OK).

Thanks!

Yea, I do realize the advantage of dedicated winter tires. My last car had performance summer tires and I had a separate set of rims with snows on them. It was great, but it was a pain to time when to switch and I was really hoping that I could have a reasonable set of all seasons and call it a day (or year).

I live in MA so we do get plenty of snow. But I am not so rural/remote that I have to deal with untreated roads generally at all.

We still haven't gotten enough snow for me to do any testing myself, so I was mostly curious if folks feel like they have done reasonably well with the original all seasons on (which it sounds like they should be OK).

Thanks!
The Continental all seasons worked well on my long uphill gravel driveway when it was covered with a few inches of snow and some ice. Being able to raise the car also helped. Of course if I expected to have to routinely drive on snow covered roads I would want real snow tires

Reactions: Scott Chapman
Mine has been good so far, I did get a set of wheels/tires for winter vs the stock all seasons. Went with Michelin CrossClimate 2's (yes they are all seasons but with a winter bias). I've had Audi's for the last 10 years and would say it's comparable but the car is heavier so that can be better in some situations. I haven't had any scary situations yet even after having to drive through a freezing rain storm, just drive for conditions.

Mine has been good so far, I did get a set of wheels/tires for winter vs the stock all seasons. Went with Michelin CrossClimate 2's (yes they are all seasons but with a winter bias). I've had Audi's for the last 10 years and would say it's comparable but the car is heavier so that can be better in some situations. I haven't had any scary situations yet even after having to drive through a freezing rain storm, just drive for conditions.
How much did that run you?

Also as someone who loved cars and had them for 20 years, I never replaced wheels - what happens once you do that? Are there a bunch of updates / alignments you have to do (e.g. changing odometer calculations etc.)

I got the wheels from TSportline and the Tires from TireRack. You can also just get everything from TSportline as well so up to you. Price can vary quite a bit but I think it was like $2500-$3000 for the whole set.

I went with same overall diameter so no computer adjustments. Pretty sure the car lets you set which size tires you have based on what options are available on your model. 19" and 21" for me are the choices. Just had Tesla mobile service come out and rotate them, pretty simple.

If you stay on the factory sizes then there is just a button toggle to set the right circumference on the computer. Although you do need a compatible TPMS for the new tyres. You can also just change the summer tyres out for the winter ones and use the same rims. This option can give you the suggested possibility to store the tyres at the storage at the tyre facility. But can’t you rent a small storage your own?

If you stay on the factory sizes then there is just a button toggle to set the right circumference on the computer. Although you do need a compatible TPMS for the new tyres. You can also just change the summer tyres out for the winter ones and use the same rims. This option can give you the suggested possibility to store the tyres at the storage at the tyre facility. But can’t you rent a small storage your own?
The problem remains that CC2's which are my favorite tires and are on every other car I have (or had since they came out) don't fit the width of these wheels. So i'd have to get a new set of wheels that are narrower (although I did not see an option to do that on tirerack even when buying new wheels, so I remain confused).

As for the storage facility - I just checked Les Schwab. I'm in very urban Seattle; and these are the only places they store tires at (very rural): Tire Storage - Les Schwab Tire Centers

So I'd have to spend $4k to buy new tires/wheels; then spend $fewhundreds a year to store the tires; and pay to replace them...

I may instead just roll all that money into a Rivian when my turn comes

My 2022 MS LR has the all season Contis. Have driven mine in a blizzard with 4-6" on the ground with more falling. The car had decent traction and the weight certainly helps.The car sits pretty low so needed to keep it in High suspension to clear (had to drive under 35 mph which was fine). I will be switching to Nokian R5 EV tires next winter to get the most traction.

My MYP has 20" wheels with Michelin All Season 4s and that all season tire is noticeably better in the snow.

I’ve got a 2013 RWD Model S with winter tires and a 2022 S with the Continental all seasons. I just had the opportunity to drive both cars in pretty heavy snow on the same mountain road on the same day in the Tahoe area. The 2013 got completely stuck and we had to put chains on to get it out. The 2022 S was a champ and did great with the all seasons.

I’m pretty impressed with the snow performance of the new S.

Must be nuts going from a 2013 Model S to a 2022. Is it night and day difference?