Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is passing performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to get too technical but it's not Direct Drive. If it were it would probably not be able to start but would have a top speed near 700MPH.:D

True dat. Functionally equivalent with just a 9 to 1 gear reduction ratio. But again without the awkward 90-degree translation of torque. So it really saves energy.

It appears passing power is just fine and I get at higher speeds the high performance ICE cars can pull away.

I saw recent test of the 911(can’t recall if it was turbo) vs Model3. 0-60 model3 was amazing. Even in the quarter mile( I think that was it) model3 won 1 out of the 3.
Better at passing speeds until you got like over 100

I was asking for real world impressions. Thank you for them.

[QUOTE="nealh, post: 4454113, member: 126091"
I saw recent test of the 911(can’t recall if it was turbo) vs Model3. 0-60 model3 was amazing. Even in the quarter mile( I think that was it) model3 won 1 out of the 3.
Better at passing speeds until you got like over 100.[/QUOTE]

This one

Reactions: Spacep0d
Better at passing speeds until you got like over 100.

This one[/QUOTE]
Yes that’s what I Saw. Very interesting video.

I have not been talking about the performance model. I’ve been talking about the long range all wheel drive And I would add the acceleration boost software as I don’t think I want the larger wheels and tires of the performance model

Reactions: Spacep0d
Yes that’s what I Saw. Very interesting video.

I have not been talking about the performance model. I’ve been talking about the long range all wheel drive And I would add the acceleration boost software as I don’t think I want the larger wheels and tires of the performance model[/QUOTE]

The cars are very similar at highways speeds. The P has more pull down low.

Figure an AWD gets to 60mph in 4.0 sec, AWD+ (accel boost) in 3.5 sec, Performance in 3.0. 1/4 mile times are about the same .5 sec difference between the trims. 12.5/12.0/11.5 give or take. Take your pick.

I agree. The pricing seems screwy. The only think I would want is the spoiler lol

Actually, unless you live in a pothole ridden area where a 20in wheel is out of the question You want the tires. They are Tesla specific and although nobody knows exactly what Tesla had Michelin change about the formulation. The tread is wider than any other 235/35 and we suspect the outer tread area is slightly wider And perhaps even a touch softer given the tires poor durability when tracked while the center rib area may have a different compound to avoid exaggerated crown wear in the context of high tire pressures. I've replaced the rather fragile and overweight cast OEM wheels with a forged wheel and couldn't be happier with the combination both in terms of ride and handling but also in terms of upgrading the wheels resistance to impact. As always ymmv. 19 inch wheels made provide a sweet spot in terms of still good appearance, better durability to impact, lower-cost, while still providing an option for 40 or 35 series rubber. It's all trade-offs.

Last edited:
Reactions: raptor5244
I just posted a video of my car racing a stage 2 tuned bolt on 335 on my insta page. @ teslavseverything Check the story. Instagram

For those of you without insta It wasnt much of a race. The car makes about 400 whp from the 20 roll it was 5 cars immediately and from 60 roll it was about mph it was 3-4 cars immediately and a few cars pull after that to 118.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Actually, unless you live in a pothole ridden area where a 20in wheel is out of the question You want the tires. They are Tesla specific and although nobody knows exactly what Tesla had Michelin change about the formulation. The tread is wider than any other 235/35 and we suspect the outer tread area is slightly wider And perhaps even a touch softer given the tires poor durability when tracked while the center rib area may have a different compound to avoid exaggerated crown wear in the context of high tire pressures. I've replaced the rather fragile and overweight cast OEM wheels with a forged wheel and couldn't be happier with the combination both in terms of ride and handling but also in terms of upgrading the wheels resistance to impact. As always ymmv. 19 inch wheels made provide a sweet spot in terms of still good appearance, better durability to impact, lower-cost, while still providing an option for 40 or 35 series rubber. It's all trade-offs.

Be a lot cheaper to put PS4s tires on the aero 18s (and you'll get better mileage too) than to replace the weak heavy 20s with lighter/stronger 20s and retain the tires.

I'd bet money you wouldn't be able to notice a significant difference between the "special" PS4s 20s and off the shelf 18s in real world use, especially if you stick to the OEM wheel in both sizes given how heavy the 20s are.

(in fact IIRC Brooks or someone actually tested this and found the differences were barely even measurable with calibrated instruments, and favored both configs very very slightly depending which test he was doing)

Reactions: dmurphy
Better at passing speeds until you got like over 100.

This one[/QUOTE]

It's a bit of a shame that when Matt Watson doses drag races with model 3 he gets some of the slowest times anyone's posted. Best times in that car 11.5 and tons of people have posted 11.6. He's consistently 11.8-11.9

It's a bit of a shame that when Matt Watson doses drag races with model 3 he gets some of the slowest times anyone's posted. Best times in that car 11.5 and tons of people have posted 11.6. He's consistently 11.8-11.9

It's colder and damper right now in England. So that would explain things.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. I suspect he's got reaction time in the mix. Rather than subtracting that out. There is no clear absolute standard on that point but most of the time when you get a time slip from a drag race at a sanctioned drag strip. reaction time is subtracted out. That would explain the significant disparity between his typical times and what's been seen almost everywhere, including the results in cooler weather which again are still ~11.6-11.7

Reactions: Jenremoved