Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is PUP & 21 inch wheels ride comfort for back seat passengers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of reviews for noise, ride comfort for drivers on Model Y, but I couldn't find any review for ride comfort with Performance model with 21-inch Uberturbine wheels for back seat passengers. As this is targeting to be also a family car, could you please share your experience/feedback from back seat passengers on this exact configuration?

Ordered Performance+PUP with complete confidence a while ago, yet now starting to doubt my choice seeing few other posts about stiffness, giving car back, selling 21-inch wheels, etc. I mostly travel with my family and currently own nice and quiet BMW 5-series touring with maximum comfort seats, etc. But as a tech geek I want Tesla for a while and it makes so much sense how Tesla does everything. I hope my family/kids won't hate me after we switch to Model Y Performance with full PUP package. In worst case scenario changing wheels is always an option to improve things a bit, yet you can't change suspension, can you? So it would help a lot if you'd share your experience, how bad/good is it for back seat passengers.

PS. The roads where I live are nice and solid, but of course once we go on a road trip roads can be completely random and unpredictable. Thanks.

Unfortunately no, I'm from Italy, so still almost a year to wait and no ways to test it here, however I'm starting to see already offers to buy it here that were shipped over an ocean, and if I'm impatient enough I may cancel my order and just get on with such an offer to get it quicker (but that's another topic, let's not focus on that).

So not to change my order and loose my line on the waiting queue, I just wanted to hear real feedback from backseat passengers to get understanding of how backseat passengers feel about Model Y + PUP. I could get to test drive Model 3, but there have been improvements since, especially in noise reduction, so I don't want to get to any wrong conclusions by testing M3.

I chose PUP, because I just love Uberturbines, how they look, how they fill the gap, I love performance features, from what I've seen and read, but I'm not alone in the car so other aspects are important as well, yet so few info about comfort for back seat passengers, so I thought I should ask and this thread for sure could be useful for so many more.

For me, the Uberturbines were the only option, for the same reasons -- how they look, how they fill the gap -- and they seemed to be the only wheels that looked proportionately correct to the overall size of the vehicle. Now that I've driven over a thousand miles on them, I can say that (from the driver's seat), it feels fine most of the time, but over uneven roads, the ride is a bit rough and even jarring at times.

What color do you plan to get? I chose blue, and I think the lighter grey Uberturbines match perfectly to it. But for white, the darker black Induction wheels complement the car really well (maybe better than the Ubers), and the darkness seems to hide the wheel gap and smaller size. So the Induction wheels could be the answer to your ride issue.

Even though the Y has improvements over the Model 3, I think test driving the 3 over various road surfaces will give you a good sense of what the Y will be like. I think there will be enough similarities for it to help you make an informed decision.

Lots of reviews for noise, ride comfort for drivers on Model Y, but I couldn't find any review for ride comfort with Performance model with 21-inch Uberturbine wheels for back seat passengers. As this is targeting to be also a family car, could you please share your experience/feedback from back seat passengers on this exact configuration?

Ordered Performance+PUP with complete confidence a while ago, yet now starting to doubt my choice seeing few other posts about stiffness, giving car back, selling 21-inch wheels, etc. I mostly travel with my family and currently own nice and quiet BMW 5-series touring with maximum comfort seats, etc. But as a tech geek I want Tesla for a while and it makes so much sense how Tesla does everything. I hope my family/kids won't hate me after we switch to Model Y Performance with full PUP package. In worst case scenario changing wheels is always an option to improve things a bit, yet you can't change suspension, can you? So it would help a lot if you'd share your experience, how bad/good is it for back seat passengers.

PS. The roads where I live are nice and solid, but of course once we go on a road trip roads can be completely random and unpredictable. Thanks.

Got MYPUP had 21 Überturbines for first 1K miles then changed to 20s with square 255 tires, but settled with 19" Geminis.

First, definitely less jarring ride on 19s vs 20s, more so vs 21s. I am keeping the 21s as back up (took several days to get replacement wheel/tire last time I busted 20" Model 3 wheel/tire).

The second row seats are better, imo, vs Model 3 since they recline. They are more firm than the front seats of Y/3. The middle seat on the Y is more firm than the sides seats of the second row - and narrow. My 11 YO (skinny) daughter barely have hip/shoulder room when sandwiched by young adult siblings. I would not want any person on the middle 2nd row for long drive.

Here are some side profile pictures of 19s,20s, and 21s on MYPUP for comparison.

Hope the helps...;)

20200606_103202.jpg
20200418_144027.jpg
20200317_181947.jpg
20200317_141535.jpg
20200418_144149.jpg
20200606_152553.jpg
20200317_141459.jpg
20200418_144134.jpg
20200606_103139.jpg

Unfortunately no, I'm from Italy, so still almost a year to wait and no ways to test it here, however I'm starting to see already offers to buy it here that were shipped over an ocean, and if I'm impatient enough I may cancel my order and just get on with such an offer to get it quicker (but that's another topic, let's not focus on that).

So not to change my order and loose my line on the waiting queue, I just wanted to hear real feedback from backseat passengers to get understanding of how backseat passengers feel about Model Y + PUP. I could get to test drive Model 3, but there have been improvements since, especially in noise reduction, so I don't want to get to any wrong conclusions by testing M3.

I chose PUP, because I just love Uberturbines, how they look, how they fill the gap, I love performance features, from what I've seen and read, but I'm not alone in the car so other aspects are important as well, yet so few info about comfort for back seat passengers, so I thought I should ask and this thread for sure could be useful for so many more.

It is my understanding that Tesla will produce the Model Y for the European market in the to-be-build factory close to Berlin. I'm in the same boat - order the MY + PUP here in Germany. I'm expecting - if everything went well - delivery not earlier than in the second half of 2021 ... So plenty of time for feedback on driving comfort of the PUP. I've driven the Model 3 + PUP - comfort is okay - but that is what I've expected from a sports package ...

Definitely interested in this as well. My test drives of the Model 3 showed the rear seat ride was CONSIDERABLY rougher than the front...it is all suspension though (vs. rims/tires). Oddly enough, the performance 3 we drove actually seemed smoother (have seen similar comments from others). I do think Tesla has updated the struts more than once on the 3. Still...very interested to experience this in a test drive. Right now, I have to mentally factor in a MPP comfort coilover into the purchase price of the car (note: I assume MPP will make one for the Model Y too). Of course an adaptive air suspension option would be awesome (and still possible).

I'm scheduled to get mine before the end of this month and will report back with a comment. I had a 7 series BMW and I know the Tesla won't be able to match that comfort but I hope it's close enough so wife and I aren't bothered too much by it.