Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is sales tax handled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placed an order for a model 3 SR Plus on July 11. Checked my tesla account today and noticed that the total due was more detailed - and it was a lot less than I had expected.

The detail now includes the following:

Taxes & Fees $87.25
Documentation $75.00
Operating Permit: $79.75

But no sales tax. Here in Texas, my guess is that will be around $2500. When and where do I pay this?

I don't have a loan or trade in. Just wondering how this is handled....

I had the same question, as I am also in Texas!

Apparently they used to handle it for you but the customers didn't like it, so now they send you a packet with the forms you will need after you take delivery, and you go to the registration office to pay the sales tax/title/license fee yourself. For a M3SR+ , you're right, it will be about $2,500 for tax and about $225 for registration.

Makes it difficult to get the right loan amount if you want to pay sales tax as part of the loan, but thankfully you don't have to worry about that!

Apparently they used to handle it for you but the customers didn't like it, so now they send you a packet with the forms you will need after you take delivery, and you go to the registration office to pay the sales tax/title/license fee yourself. For a M3SR+ , you're right, it will be about $2,500 for tax and about $225 for registration.

Thanks for the answer!

Makes sense to do it this way. Sometimes a dealer will take a ridiculously long time to get you the plates and title.

How long do you have to get this done (after taking delivery)? 30 days? Just planning the outward cash flow.... :)

With Covid and a lot of tax offices closed currently, there is no deadline to get it done. The police aren’t enforcing it. My temporary plates expired for three months before I was able to register the car. Once I got an appointment I took the pile of paperwork Tesla sent me and a check book. I paid the taxes and was in and out of the tax office in under ten minutes, with my plates and registration. Easy as could be

With Covid and a lot of tax offices closed currently, there is no deadline to get it done. The police aren’t enforcing it. My temporary plates expired for three months before I was able to register the car. Once I got an appointment I took the pile of paperwork Tesla sent me and a check book. I paid the taxes and was in and out of the tax office in under ten minutes, with my plates and registration. Easy as could be
Here in Ohio the dealer handle all that. Tesla will mail my plate and registration to me.

Makes it difficult to get the right loan amount if you want to pay sales tax as part of the loan, but thankfully you don't have to worry about that!

I think Texas is different. IN NY everything is handled for yo and the tax gets rolled in to the finance. Texas I heard is special in that they have to do everything themselves and the tax you have to pay out of pocket.

Thanks for weighing in. I’m also in Ohio and thought Tesla allows you to finance the sales tax if you want? Good to know, so I can plan the right amount of out of pocket cash.
I had to juggle the amount to finance so I could have enough upfront cash. The upfront cash is about $4,000 plus the down payment on the financing. So I'm financing about $30,245 and change, and am giving them exactly $30,000.65.