Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is Tesla Customer Service nowadays (2020)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to Model 3 announcement, I have heard that Tesla customer service (CS) and service center (SC) are excellent. So much so that I have set my mind on getting brand new Model X.

I did more research on the model, potential issues and how to fix it, etc. and I noticed that there are complaint about the Tesla CS, either from this forum, Reddit, Trust pilot and even forum.tesla.com.

So before I go ahead and plunk almost $100K for Model X, can anyone share their recent experience with Tesla CS and SC, especially if you need to have the car fixed (applies to both major or minor issue)?

My experience have been with ICE manufacturer and so far it has been great.

Example: I currently drive a Mercedes Wagon. The Heads Up Display (HUD) went kaput and I brought it in for service. At first they couldn't figure it out and they had to ask Mercedes corporate for help. They had to take apart the whole dashboard until they figure out the entire HUD unit went bad. My local dealer quickly gave me another Mercedes loaner and told me to keep until they can receive a replacement unit. The car was in the shop but I am fine since I got a loaner and I rather have them fix it properly. Throughout this whole thing, the Service Advisor provided updates on a continuous basis.

Tesla "Customer Service" support is the worst. Nothing has gotten better and, if anything, it's continuing to get worse. If it's a concern (and it should be as it's next to impossible to avoid needing at least once) I would not buy a Tesla.

The cars keep getting better and customer service keeps getting worse. They've done absolutely nothing to improve it either and continue to crank out new vehicles that all will require even more service resources that are already well beyond stretched thin.

Prior to Model 3 announcement, I have heard that Tesla customer service (CS) and service center (SC) are excellent. So much so that I have set my mind on getting brand new Model X.

I did more research on the model, potential issues and how to fix it, etc. and I noticed that there are complaint about the Tesla CS, either from this forum, Reddit, Trust pilot and even forum.tesla.com.

So before I go ahead and plunk almost $100K for Model X, can anyone share their recent experience with Tesla CS and SC, especially if you need to have the car fixed (applies to both major or minor issue)?

My experience have been with ICE manufacturer and so far it has been great.

Example: I currently drive a Mercedes Wagon. The Heads Up Display (HUD) went kaput and I brought it in for service. At first they couldn't figure it out and they had to ask Mercedes corporate for help. They had to take apart the whole dashboard until they figure out the entire HUD unit went bad. My local dealer quickly gave me another Mercedes loaner and told me to keep until they can receive a replacement unit. The car was in the shop but I am fine since I got a loaner and I rather have them fix it properly. Throughout this whole thing, the Service Advisor provided updates on a continuous basis.

1. Do not expect anywhere near the service level you would get from any other premium car make
2. Expect to hear "within normal limits" on any complaint about noises, whines (NVH) same goes for panel gaps, fit, paint,interior.
3. Depending on where your service center is do not ever expect loaner car (especially in metro areas). You will never get a loaner out of warranty
4. Depending on where your service center is do not ever expect to talk to anyone on the phone, text only
5. expect at least a week FOR ANY service required, warranty or otherwise
6. Expect a LOT of stuff to break that should never fail in warranty (switchgear, displays, door handles), and then expect it to fail out of warranty as well

If you can live wth that the car will be SUPER enjoyable, fast, modern super comfortable FUN

3. Depending on where your service center is do not ever expect loaner car (especially in metro areas). You will never get a loaner out of warranty
Oh, I did not know that. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen somewhere where Tesla does give loaner? Did they change the policy? I live in SF Bay Area if that helps.

4. Depending on where your service center is do not ever expect to talk to anyone on the phone, text only
OK, this is kinda worrisome. If I drop off the car a my local service center, is there no service advisor onsite that you can talk to?

it depends where you live, in Kansas City, I have always got a loaner, and have always been able to get a person on the phone, and had my car fix right, but not much has gone wrong with my 2017 MS 75, on 3+yrs now, always had good service. I hate to say this, but ever time I talk got about the service center here being good, people call me a fanboy, I just think it's where you live, some are very good, some are not.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ve consistently had positive experiences with Tesla service, through three cars over seven years. Mobile service, service center, and roadside assistance have been favorable. Not perfect, of course. For example, a mobile service visit last year had my home address when it was supposed to be my work and I had to text the tech so that he could come to the correct location.

Dealing with them on the phone can be annoying being bounced around until finding the person that can help. But once I get to the right person I’ve been happy with the results.

I’ve consistently had positive experiences with Tesla service, through three cars over seven years. Mobile service, service center, and roadside assistance have been favorable. Not perfect, of course. For example, a mobile service visit last year had my home address when it was supposed to be my work and I had to text the tech so that he could come to the correct location.

Dealing with them on the phone can be annoying being bounced around until finding the person that can help. But once I get to the right person I’ve been happy with the results.

Did you experience any major issues where you have to bring the car to the service center? If yes, how was the experience and did you get a loaner?

I am also curious if your experience is due to your location. E.g. I am in NorCal and there are tons of Tesla here and wondering if the service centers are overwhelmed.

Did you experience any major issues where you have to bring the car to the service center? If yes, how was the experience and did you get a loaner?

I am also curious if your experience is due to your location. E.g. I am in NorCal and there are tons of Tesla here and wondering if the service centers are overwhelmed.

Every time I've brought my S in for service I was given a loaner. Once it was a BMW from Enterprise but the rest of the times I've been given a loaner (always another S; sometimes nicer than mine, sometimes not).

I've never had any major issues when I brought my car in to the service center. At first, we had a teenie service center about 20 miles from me. Then they opened a huge one down near Dallas Love Field. Then, another big one up north. I've had positive experiences in all three. Maybe they are overwhelmed in CA, I don't know.

Reactions: pilotSteve
2 models 3's for over 2 years. i have had nothing but excellent experiences with Tesla service. Far better in my opinion than service for legacy cars since there are no dealers and you work directly with Tesla. FWIW I'm over 70 and have owned many cars. The experience of owning a Tesla is the best! Mobile service is a godsend. Don't believe all the FUD you read here.

2 models 3's for over 2 years. i have had nothing but excellent experiences with Tesla service. Far better in my opinion than service for legacy cars since there are no dealers and you work directly with Tesla. FWIW I'm over 70 and have owned many cars. The experience of owning a Tesla is the best! Mobile service is a godsend. Don't believe all the FUD you read here.

Just because your experience has been fine don't project that on everyone else & assume that everyone has access to the same service and is simply overreacting. The easy explanation is that it's VERY region dependent and where I live (Colorado) it's the worst. THE WORST. The fact that there is zero uniformity from service center to service center is part of the problem. What I wouldn't give to have a good service center anywhere within a two-state radius of where I live...

Was good (great) in the beginning and now it’s appalling from a corporate ethos standpoint, although I know many good but overwhelmed people at local levels.

Way too little infrastructure investment, particularly given the desire to push QC to the consumer and service level.

Poor customer service tactics are being used as a form of triage and cost cutting

Just because your experience has been fine don't project that on everyone else & assume that everyone has access to the same service and is simply overreacting. The easy explanation is that it's VERY region dependent and where I live (Colorado) it's the worst. THE WORST. The fact that there is zero uniformity from service center to service center is part of the problem. What I wouldn't give to have a good service center anywhere within a two-state radius of where I live...
Two States away, well Kansas City is 2 states away, I have always got good service there 3+yrs. now, on my 2017 MS75.

Oh, I did not know that. I could be wrong, but I think I've seen somewhere where Tesla does give loaner? Did they change the policy? I live in SF Bay Area if that helps.

OK, this is kinda worrisome. If I drop off the car a my local service center, is there no service advisor onsite that you can talk to?

There are service advisors on-site. That is actually one of the most consistent ways to get in contact with them.

As for loaners, many of the busier locations have gone to Uber credits instead, and loaner vehicles are not guaranteed. There is no way to reserve one if you need one. I havent gotten a loaner in over a year now. I make my own ride arrangements now.

One thing that is frustrating is the scheduling communication. All scheduling is done thru the app, you are not allowed to call to schedule. My app defaults to mobile service for all visits. So I pick a day I am free, then usually 1 day before the appointment, they read my notes and figure out it needs to be done at the service center. Then I am rebooked, but usually for an additional couple weeks out because they are busy. This last time, I then had the service center call me and tell me it could be done by mobile and to reschedule. So I rebooked yet again. My mobile service is tomorrow, hoping I dont get yet another phone call to reschedule again. I am now out of the factory warranty vs my original appointment, so I am hoping I don't have to argue that now that I have been rebooked 3 times.

Reactions: captanzuelo
One thing that is frustrating is the scheduling communication. All scheduling is done thru the app, you are not allowed to call to schedule. My app defaults to mobile service for all visits. So I pick a day I am free, then usually 1 day before the appointment, they read my notes and figure out it needs to be done at the service center. Then I am rebooked, but usually for an additional couple weeks out because they are busy. This last time, I then had the service center call me and tell me it could be done by mobile and to reschedule. So I rebooked yet again. My mobile service is tomorrow, hoping I dont get yet another phone call to reschedule again. I am now out of the factory warranty vs my original appointment, so I am hoping I don't have to argue that now that I have been rebooked 3 times.

So you cannot schedule a service center visit on your own? That's kinda messed up.

I think what should be done is to allow customer do the scheduling for the service center visit, but the service advisor can make changes if they deemed that the service can be done via mobile service. Otherwise, it'll be a scheduling nightmare as you've explained.

For major issue, can you drive to the service center and make the appointment right there? E.g. if your car have major air suspension issue where it's riding very low.