Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is Tesla going to make the Model 3 for $35,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured it out again. This is probably the best and most cost reductive idea yet and we finally understand the real reason why its called the model 3.

The wheels cost a lot. So if we remove 1 we save a lot of money.

Three wheeled ev. Hence the model 3. Genius.:cool:

hah - at least do it properly!

morgan-3-wheeler_100341677_l.jpg

See - our US friends simply have no idea about truly brilliant automotive eccentricity :wink:

two at the front for sure.
But for that though I am also that hopeful that this gets to launch
http://www.eliomotors.com
Not an EV, but it costs less than the fed tax credit for EVs
Yea, I've heard about that little beast. You can't get much better mass market pricing than that. Safety would be my biggest concern, as the highway is where it excels in mpg. Local driving brings it down to earth (still superseding your average ICE of course), but still a great choice for personal commuting foremost because of that price!

eliomotors-1405440474683.jpg

Last edited:
I am surprised not one has said this

I am surprised no one has said this but at least to me it seems very obvious the price point of Model 3 is expected to be $35K AFTER federal and state tax credits. So if true, the money they will collect is going to be in the range of $43K to $44K. Why would they leave that money on the table?

I am surprised no one has said this but at least to me it seems very obvious the price point of Model 3 is expected to be $35K AFTER federal and state tax credits. So if true, the money they will collect is going to be in the range of $43K to $44K. Why would they leave that money on the table?

No, that certainly is NOT my understanding from what I have been reading.
The $35K price point was to be without any rebate ($7,500 Federal) amount figured in.

I don't think supercharger acccess it will be included. The main reason they changed it with the Model S was that the figured out there was enough demand too sell it as a high priced luxury sedan and many people opted for the 85 versions. They no longer needed to market it as $60000 electric car.

1/2nd car... I think what also many people ignore here is that for road trips you often want a larger car. Most families I know at least in Germany the dad drivers a sedan and smaller commuter can and the wife has larger car wagon/suv/van etc. and currenly those car in the catagory of a Mode X a much more expensive than a Model 3. So I simply doubt many people who buy a Model 3 will also be able to afford a electric car that ha the space for roadtrips. Which brings us back to supercharger access and why it might not at all be neccessary for people who buy it just for their daily commute and maybe to save gas.

Heated seats and ideally steering wheel are really important for an electric car.
Sure, but so was the navigation system with the tech package in the fist Model S sold. It will just be a must have upgrade, at least heated steering wheel will be optional I would guess.

No, that certainly is NOT my understanding from what I have been reading.
The $35K price point was to be without any rebate ($7,500 Federal) amount figured in.

Correct, and this has repeatedly been clarified by Elon. At a time he was talking abut a goal of about $30k, but at that time without specifying with or without tax credits, and "in 2012 money" (I think it was?). But as long as the price of $35k has been mentioned it's been clear that this will be without any credits, and without any talk about inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

They no longer needed to market it as $60000 electric car.

It was a $50k car - remember the 40kWh version (US only - and no supercharger at all).