TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How is the linked key fob supposed to work?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dborn, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Ok. So I linked my fob to my profile. When I park in my garage and change the profile to park ( pushes seat back, lifts steering wheel). On returning to car and get in, nothing happens. I thought the profile should automatically revert to that fob which opened the car?
    So, I notice no difference to prior to linking the fob to my profile.

2. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

It's been a bit tricky/finicky for me. I've found that actively trying to test it is pretty difficult, because it won't change profiles unless the car was locked(and seemingly requires a delay after locking too).

Most of the time if I leave the car more naturally(park it and go do stuff and come back later), it seems to switch profiles mostly consistently. The only issue I've seen there is occasionally it changes to my profile but only moves the mirrors and such, the chair stays too far forward until I change profiles and change back.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Step 1. Link profile
    Step 2. Lock car and walk away (not sure if walking away is a requirement)
    Step 3. Walk to the car and/or click unlock on the fob

Whichever key UNLOCKS the car is the profile that will be set ONCE the drivers door is open.

If I unlock the car, but my wife (holding her fob) opens the drivers door, my profile will still be set - not hers.

4. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Can you expand on this "Park Profile"? This is the first I'm hearing of this. It sounds like it needs to be manually selected every time you get out of the car? It doesn't automatically go to this profile when you put the car in park?

5. Max*

Many people manually set a profile called Park, and press it every time they exit the car. There is no automatic park profile.

6. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Hrm, interesting. Wonder why Tesla doesn't have this as an automatic exit profile?

• Like x 1
  7. Max*

Tesla is missing a lot of features some other luxury/standard cars have, but they're working on it. So maybe some day we'll get exit profiles.

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

i manually select this before exiting.

9. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Thanks for your replies. That is what I was expecting but it doesn't happen. This evening car was locked and in park profile. Unlocked the car by walking up to it and handles presented. Got in and actually began reversing but no reaction from the car. Had to manually change back to my profile. Guess it is a visit to the service center, then.

10. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

I don't want my seat to move into position when I open the door. I want it to move into position after I am in the seat and then start the car (depress the brake pedal).

My Ford has it right. The seat moves into position when the start button is depressed. The seat moves back when the car is turned off. This provides maximum room for getting in and out of the car. The operating seat position is determined by the fob that is being used.

• Like x 1
  11. Max*

I disagree. My wife is 5'2", I'm 6'1". I physically can't get in the car and press the brake pedal after she drives. Tesla got it right.

I'm all for this, but this would require exit profiles, which Tesla has not done (yet?). It might be the next step, who knows.

• Like x 1
  12. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

5'4" and 6'4" here. I feel your pain.

• Like x 3
  13. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

@Dborn I wonder if this is because you walked up to the car and the handles auto-presented, @Max* says he clicked unlock on the fob. There is a subtle difference in operation. Maybe Tesla has only partially implemented this feature in this build, and it works only in response to a fob keypress to unlock.

Maybe worth a try - I could be wrong ofc :)

14. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I just walk up to the car with the handles auto-presented and it(usually) works fine for me. Like I said, though, it's really finicky and occasionally just completely fails. Definitely some bugs with that feature.

15. Max*

Sorry I wasn't clear, I said "and/or".

I've done both, both work for me.

The only thing I'm doing differently is - no exit profile. I wonder if this is screwing something up. I'd try doing it without an exit profile, and if it works, report it a bug to Tesla.

16. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I've also found this unreliable.

Related: how is associating a second fob with another profile supposed to work? When you select a profile other than that of the
    current driver it is supposed to give you a choice of fobs to associate? For us it just showed my fob, which is really kind stupid since
    were it to go ahead and associate the same fob with two different profiles what would it do then? It seems like what it should do is only
    give you choice of currently un-assigned fobs, but that's not at all what happened.

17. Max*

Mine did that, IIRC.

18. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

For me, I had to have both fobs in the car in order to tie the second one to the second account. I tried multiple iterations of putting the one already associated with a profile away in the house and coming out with the other fob only to find that it showed up as the same fob number and would remove the existing one. The only way I got it to work was to bring out one fob, link it with one profile, and then bring out *both* fobs and select #2 on the other profile.

19. KF94563

KF94563 Member

You have to have the fob in the car with you to associate it with a new profile, it doesn't keep a list of fobs that have been used in the past. You also have to be sitting in the drivers seat with the car powered on in order to associate a fob with a profile.

20. KF94563

KF94563 Member

I ended up removing the fob from my wife's profile because the seat would often end up so far forward that I couldn't get in the car. The problem I found was that if she was sitting in the passenger seat, and had her fob with her, and I got out of the car (like walking away for a restroom break on a road trip) the driver's seat would reposition to her profile before I got back to the driver's seat again.