Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the Model S as a family car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a silly question....maybe. About to pull the trigger on a cpo model s for the wife. We have 3 kids, only one still in booster. Planning on getting the s and adding the rear facing seats for play dates, etc. This would be a drastic change, as she is coming out of a minivan. I just don't want to spend 100k and hear a week later how it's not the right car for the family. Anybody make a similar switch? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Why not just keep the van forever.
Can't beat the van for utility.
The rear jump seats will only last a few years before they out grow them.

Minivan is a lease expiring. Thought is either get another van, a regular SUV, or a model s with an extra suv as an extra car. Just seems like a lot of cars. Not sure if it's a mistake or not. OR I can sell my 911 and replace with model s and not feel so bad to have the extra suv. Not sure if I will be sad to see the 911 go vs this car.

- - - Updated - - -

Just check with Tesla that they can install the rear facing seats.
IIRC there is additional strengthening in the rear when the rear seats are installed at the factory.
Retrofitting may be expensive or not allowed.

Waiting for confirm. Tesla is strange about approving certain things that they choose to do or not do depending on how they feel.

Minivan is a lease expiring. Thought is either get another van, a regular SUV, or a model s with an extra suv as an extra car. Just seems like a lot of cars. Not sure if it's a mistake or not. OR I can sell my 911 and replace with model s and not feel so bad to have the extra suv. Not sure if I will be sad to see the 911 go vs this car.

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting for confirm. Tesla is strange about approving certain things that they choose to do or not do depending on how they feel.

I'm currently waiting to get my CPO retrofit with the rear facing seats. It has to be approved, costs about $3400, and is taking forever for the parts to arrive

My model X is coming next week. She will try to steal it from me but I already squashed that idea. Too many options for her to appreciate it. So, what to do? Tesla is an expensive mistake to make if it's not the right fit. Resell prices drop quickly.

To replace the utility of the van she will need the Model X. I suspect what you are driving now can be replaced with a Model S. Yes, I get you want the Model X for yourself, but I suspect you don't have unlimited budget or you would have just bought 2 Model X's.

PS> We have a van and a Model S. My wife drives the van. She likes the Model S but tells me she would not trade the van for the Model S - too much utility lost (and turning radius too, that Sienna is larger than the MS but can turn on a dime). Now, she would go for the Model X, which still may happen, but since the Tesla hp and other specs adventures I am no longer willing to buy a Tesla car without test driving it and seeing how it does in the field for others over some time.

To replace the utility of the van she will need the Model X. I suspect what you are driving now can be replaced with a Model S. Yes, I get you want the Model X for yourself, but I suspect you don't have unlimited budget or you would have just bought 2 Model X's.

PS> We have a van and a Model S. My wife drives the van. She likes the Model S but tells me she would not trade the van for the Model S - too much utility lost (and turning radius too, that Sienna is larger than the MS but can turn on a dime). Now, she would go for the Model X, which still may happen, but since the Tesla hp and other specs adventures I am no longer willing to buy a Tesla car without test driving it and seeing how it does in the field for others over some time.

My worry is that I will get a 100k car that sits in the garage and does nothing most of the time. Trying to figure it out. Anybody with three kids and a model s? Sufficient? Lacking?

My worry is that I will get a 100k car that sits in the garage and does nothing most of the time. Trying to figure it out. Anybody with three kids and a model s? Sufficient? Lacking?

We have three kids and my boys still fit in our rear facing seats but will outgrow them in the next year or two. So will consider trading for X then. I like the sedan. I came from driving an SUV and like that I can now reach the ground when I step out (I'm 5'2.) S has plenty of cargo and people room for our daily commute to school and for road trips. When we have guests or if one of the boys gets ornery, they get sent to the rear. I wouldn't recommend sitting back there for long trips (ventilation issues and all- many threads on this). I may be mistaken, but I don't think Tesla retrofits rear seats anymore.

We kept our 8yo Honda Odyssey (the dog car) so not quite in your shoes, but if all we had was the Model S, it would fit the bill for our family's needs. 3kids+2adults most days with squeeze room for guests if needed. (We also kept the 911 cab as the fun summer car but hubby keeps alluding to how slow it feels compared to my S85. It is the most impractical of our fleet as it can't even seat all members of our family. But heck.....)

good luck! Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure your wife will find ways to drive the Tesla, so it won't sit in the garage lonely. (She can thank me later :).

Seems like a silly question....maybe. About to pull the trigger on a cpo model s for the wife. We have 3 kids, only one still in booster. Planning on getting the s and adding the rear facing seats for play dates, etc. This would be a drastic change, as she is coming out of a minivan. I just don't want to spend 100k and hear a week later how it's not the right car for the family. Anybody make a similar switch? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Get the rear facing seats and then it truly becomes a no compromise family car. 18 months, 48k miles, haven't taken the van once, anywhere.

We have three kids and my boys still fit in our rear facing seats but will outgrow them in the next year or two. So will consider trading for X then. I like the sedan. I came from driving an SUV and like that I can now reach the ground when I step out (I'm 5'2.) S has plenty of cargo and people room for our daily commute to school and for road trips. When we have guests or if one of the boys gets ornery, they get sent to the rear. I wouldn't recommend sitting back there for long trips (ventilation issues and all- many threads on this). I may be mistaken, but I don't think Tesla retrofits rear seats anymore.

We kept our 8yo Honda Odyssey (the dog car) so not quite in your shoes, but if all we had was the Model S, it would fit the bill for our family's needs. 3kids+2adults most days with squeeze room for guests if needed. (We also kept the 911 cab as the fun summer car but hubby keeps alluding to how slow it feels compared to my S85. It is the most impractical of our fleet as it can't even seat all members of our family. But heck.....)

good luck! Whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure your wife will find ways to drive the Tesla, so it won't sit in the garage lonely. (She can thank me later :).

Thanks! Very helpful. I am waiting for approval from tesla for the rear facing seats. It's very weird how they decide whether to do something or not. Apparently it's not a big deal. Add one bar. Add the seats. Not much price difference from the factory price.

Our 2012 model S has been a great family car - we have 6 kids - but had only five the first 2 years of ownership and we always took the Tesla on family outings. Even now when we don't all fit, the kids constantly clamor to ride in the model S. Living in Texas the heat is tricky in the summer because the circulation in the back is not great but with dark tint on the hatch, pre-cooling, and a battery powered fan in the back, trips under 30min are no problem. The frunk has plenty of room for groceries (RWD model) and most items. Stroller fits in the back footwell and does not bother the kids sitting there. While an X would be roomier, I would not hesitate to get an S.

My model X is coming next week. She will try to steal it from me but I already squashed that idea. Too many options for her to appreciate it. So, what to do? Tesla is an expensive mistake to make if it's not the right fit. Resell prices drop quickly.

So you have a Model X too??
Seems like the wife should be driving that if you need the 7 seats.
MS would not replace my M3, so I doubt it'll replace your 911, but it depends on what you're looking for in a car.
We have 3 kids aged 13, 11.5 and 10 and we fit fine. We drive the MS most of the time except for car pools and road trips, but if you have a MX coming, why bother with the MS??
What's going to be your road trip car if you have both the MS and MX??

I have the rear facing seat. If you want that you must get it with the car. It cannot be added later.

I have carpool duty 2-3 days a week with 2 1st graders and 1 kindergartner. My first grade daughter rides in the 3rd row and the other two are on boosters in the back with an aftermarket armrest/storage thing in between so nobody is in anyone else's space on accident. Works great.

Seems like a family car to me, but I moved up in size from driving a Chevy Volt.

Definitely a family car, we have 3 young kids. We rarely use the third row (actually remove it to increase free space and add it when needed). A CPO rwd is that I would recommend. The frunk space is huge and very useful for family trips.

If you can extend your lease another year or buy the van you could see if you and your wife like the Model X first. Then the P90D would be a nice replacement for your 911 possibly and she could take the Model X.