Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the quality control of the recent model 3s being delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked mine up beginning of March.

The issues I found were:
Scratch on the side mirror cap - Likely in transit - Was popped off and replaced on the spot
Dirty spots on the white seats - Cleaned on the spot
Some small clear coat bubbling that I didnt' see but was found by the shop that did my XPEL Wrap. Tesla sent me a check to pay to have them do a paint correction on it
Later found a paint defect on the bottom of the rear door. like literally on the very bottom. Didn't notice it until I was laying on the ground with the door open. Just left it as it's already wrapped

So overall - Good quality for me and the things I found they had no problem taking care of. One thing you have to keep in mind with stuff like this is legacy dealers have an extra line of defense for these defects ... the dealers. While I'm sure there are more defects overall with Tesla, you hear about them more because they go straight to customers. The dealers will in general do an inspection and have a vested interest in correcting those errors like fitment issues. The delivery centers really dont' have a vested interest as they get paid the same overall and don't gain anything. The dealers don't want to get stuck with inventory. So they correct them and you never hear about the issues

Accepted delivery of a SR+ (White exterior, White Interior, Aero Wheels) last week on 6/18. Did a thorough check of the exterior and interior prior to accepting delivery- didn't see anything major. However, on the drive home it started raining and water poured into the cabin through the footwell. The carpet on the drivers side was completely saturated. Brought the car right back to the dealership the following morning, and as of right now I still do not have a replacement car or my money back. They gave me a loaner but demanded I return it when I refused to sign a document saying 'Tesla has not found a defect with the returned vehicle.' Honestly surreal. I was so excited for this car, but this experience has been absolutely terrible.

When I have time I'll be making a YouTube video to document the entire experience. I love the vision and technology surrounding the company. But this has been the worst customer service experience of my life.

Here's video proof
Reddit post
Sorry to hear about your vehicle. That's really awful.

In the Sunshine State you could go months without any significant rain so I guess on the brighter side at least you discovered this on the first day!

Here in British Columbia we are not allowed to return Tesla vehicles if we receive a point-of-sale rebate. Once we drive the SR+ off the lot, then it's ours, no matter how defective it is. This is why I am shocked that more people aren't inspecting their vehicles more thoroughly at the delivery center and just placing their trust in Tesla, a "young" company (their words, not mine) with known QA issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Here in British Columbia we are not allowed to return Tesla vehicles if we receive a point-of-sale rebate. Once we drive the SR+ off the lot, then it's ours, no matter how defective it is. This is why I am shocked that more people aren't inspecting their vehicles more thoroughly at the delivery center and just placing their trust in Tesla, a "young" company (their words, not mine) with known QA issues.

Honestly I'm really surprised there aren't more "inspectors" you can hire to show up with you and check every square inch of the Tesla before you accept it; especially in places with strict situations like yours. $100-200 for someone qualified to do car inspections and intimately familiar with Tesla's would be a worth-wild service for both an inspector and buyers.

it's been written here over and over again that: they've built many cars; they've learned from their mistakes; everything is great now.

evidently, that's not true.

i took delivery around christmas, and my car wasnt perfect - it had some *small* cosmetic flaws here and there. whats important though was that they were all documented, and my local sales center was 100% accomodating, and they've been really good in follow-up service.

more importantly is that the car has been absolutely rattle free, which i can't say of my previous cars, and which is way more annoying and difficult to solve than a visual paint glob or etc

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
I picked up the model 3 long range a week ago. Generally good condition. There is a small defect in the paint where the hood and fender meet and a few other minor paint issues.
I already had the front end wrapped except for the fenders and upgraded to the performance upgrade
Sorry - additional information - I immediately set a service appointment with the local dealer, who pushed it to July 1 (after the quarter).
Apart from the paint chip on the hood, I can live with the car as is. That chip does need to be fixed.
I will update after they fix the chip

Depending on your level of 'hands on mechanic' work, realigning body panels is pretty easy to do when you only have gaps. Between adjusting rubber stoppers (on the trunk & frunk), and loosening up the arm bolts and letting the panels shift and realign, then tighten everything back up, it's not too difficult to align the body panels on a Model 3.

My trunk wasn't out of spec and sat flush with the quarter panel, but after putting a power lift-gate kit, I noticed some times it didn't want to latch closed. Playing around with the rubber stoppers and adjusting the lifting arm bolts easily fixed that.

If you have some paint defect issues, some of that can be fixed with some cutting & polishing. But if it's really bad, then Tesla will need to repaint those areas.

My trunk wasn't out of spec and sat flush with the quarter panel, but after putting a power lift-gate kit, I noticed some times it didn't want to latch closed. Playing around with the rubber stoppers and adjusting the lifting arm bolts easily fixed that.

Not handy, but I thought mobile service could handle this, especially since they sent out that notice that mobile service could swap out damaged panels on location. But when mobile service arrived they said they couldn't make minor adjustment to door; it would have to go to service. What?!?!

I picked up my Model 3 from Vancouver in March. The only issue I've had is with the wipers (if you search for "noisy wipers", you'll see my thread on it. No visible paint issues (there is some very minor excess paint inside the rear driver's side passenger entry only seen when the door is open, and so minor that I really don't care about it at all, and only mention as a note on QA).

I'm curious if they managed to fix or improve the pain shop while the Freemont factory was closed. Has anyone seen a noticeable decrease in complaints since they reopened a few weeks ago? I know that's a pretty short amount of time, but still.

We have a delivery of a M3SR+ on Saturday, 27 June, in Portland, OR. On 24 June the dealership called to tell us what to expect. The rep said they will be delivering about 15 cars at the same time we're getting ours, and they won't be able to answer any questions. He said we should be familiar with how to drive the car before we get there, via the manual, and they expect a quick in-and-out.

My concern, then, is with the delivery inspection. Sounds to me like they don't want a good inspection. He said they expect us to be out in 15 to 20 minutes.

What do you think? I have to admit, I've bought several new cars over the years and never really did an inspection of any of them. I expected a new car to be in good condition, and I have never been disappointed. But with the Tesla Quality Control issues, I'm nervous about this one.

I'm curious if they managed to fix or improve the pain shop while the Freemont factory was closed. Has anyone seen a noticeable decrease in complaints since they reopened a few weeks ago? I know that's a pretty short amount of time, but still.
The majority of the current paint complaints are from vehicles built soon after Fremont was reopened!

The paint on the one I picked up a week ago is as good as the one I picked up in back in Dec. Nothing really notable.

Keep in mind Dec car was rushed as much as June car as they both had two month back-order at time when I put each in.

Fit and finish on June car is better than Dec car though. No major differences though.

Last edited: