Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the referral now working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all,

Just got my invoice and wondering if it should show a discount for my referral (self-referral in this case), or does that now come via check later? Credit to use in the online shop? Have people actually gotten this money (be it 100, 250, 400 or 500)? Not awfully well explained and not as easy as the car program. Thoughts appreciated.

Both my self referral, and one other referral I've received are coming in the form of rebate checks. My advisor said I was getting $400 for the self referral, but my order was back when it was $250/$250, so it remains to be seen what I'll actually get.

Screenshot from 2020-09-29 13-02-56.png

And just as an aside, it is really tough to get solar referrals from others. It seems like it's quite rare for someone to go with Tesla for solar when they don't already own one of their cars (at which point they just refer themselves). I tried really hard for a few months to be extremely helpful on social media in answering folks' questions (wanted to try for that free Powerwall at 10 referrals), and for all that effort, I only got one fellow.

Both my self referral, and one other referral I've received are coming in the form of rebate checks. My advisor said I was getting $400 for the self referral, but my order was back when it was $250/$250, so it remains to be seen what I'll actually get.

View attachment 595945

And just as an aside, it is really tough to get solar referrals from others. It seems like it's quite rare for someone to go with Tesla for solar when they don't already own one of their cars (at which point they just refer themselves). I tried really hard for a few months to be extremely helpful on social media in answering folks' questions (wanted to try for that free Powerwall at 10 referrals), and for all that effort, I only got one fellow.
When your roof is done, people will show up at your door. I've given out the code to about three neighbors thus far. Will see if any commit. Family across the street has it and did not have car.

Reactions: willow_hiller
When your roof is done, people will show up at your door. I've given out the code to about three neighbors thus far. Will see if any commit. Family across the street has it and did not have car.

We just had Tesla do panels for us. Roof was replaced 2 years ago, so it didn't make sense to rip it off and go with Solar Glass. We figured by the time we need a new roof, the panels will have paid for themselves multiple times, and then we can get an integrated solar roof.

I won't lie, the panels look great (jet black with skirts), but at least in my corner of Maryland it's odd for homes not to have solar panels so none of my neighbors thought twice about our install. Vivint seems to have cleaned up around my neighborhood!

View attachment 595945

I hear ha. Also as aside it's hard to get Tesla to pay up for referrals as seen in other threads. Despite what the adviser says it's based on the order date. At least you got a confirmation though...

Guys,

Wondering if anyone has seen this... We self referred as well. Our Sales guy walked us through it actually. Trouble is... In my car's account I see the Solar order referred, but the status says "Canceled." This hasn't been fixed in about a month now, while our project manager is swearing up and down that the referral code showed up correctly on our Solar order.

I've called Tesla, contacted from both email accounts... No fixes yet... Has anyone see this scenario? How did you fix it? Or did it work out?

Thanks for this input and another tips on referrals :)...!

On your Solar order page, there should be a button that says something like "View order details." Within those details there's a "Referred by" field that should match your own referral code. My self referral shows up there.
Thanks bud... Yes, like I mentioned I believe it shows our code properly there, the Project Manager also confirmed this. However, on my Tesla app the car account that referred the Solar, the order shows as "Canceled" for like a month now... Wondering if anyone has seen this?

Thanks bud... Yes, like I mentioned I believe it shows our code properly there, the Project Manager also confirmed this. However, on my Tesla app the car account that referred the Solar, the order shows as "Canceled" for like a month now... Wondering if anyone has seen this?

yes mine still says cancelled 12/69 , not sure if Elon was even around then :)

if it's not automatic be prepared to fight for your credit no matter what the Project Manager says. As soon as it's PTO you'll have to deal with CS, then referrals. Think IRS, except slower..

Reactions: Fragger
yes mine still says cancelled 12/69 , not sure if Elon was even around then :)

if it's not automatic be prepared to fight for your credit no matter what the Project Manager says. As soon as it's PTO you'll have to deal with CS, then referrals. Think IRS, except slower..
Haha, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not about the Canceled date, friend? :)

I figured this would be an uphill battle, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they succeeded?

Haha, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not about the Canceled date, friend? :)

I figured this would be an uphill battle, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they succeeded?
The cancel date is probably a bug or an internal code not meant to be displayed - 1/1/1970 is the start date for unix time, so this is like putting in -1 for the date.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Just for the record, it seems like the referral dates are indeed bugged. My non-self solar referral got his system installed last month (and the app showed the referral as installed). And then as of a recent Tesla App update, it's back to ordered.