TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How is wifi supposed to work in S?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Patrick W, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Regarding wifi:

When the car is in the garage and a wifi signal is present is the car *always* supposed to connect and stay connected to wifi?

Or, perchance, is the normal state to be on LTE and only switches to wifi when a signal comes from Fremont via LTE telling it to switch to wifi so an update or other communication can happen?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It's supposed to connect and stay on wifi, but that has always been problematic.

• Like x 1
  3. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʭʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ˭ ˭

Horsecrap wifi. Period.

• Like x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

in a perfect world yes, it should say connected.
    either because people's routers not putting out a strong signal or the car's range is poor and it's ability to receive such signal is poor the result is that getting the car to stay on WIFI is problematic.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

It appears that it stays connected to wifi. My WAPs have some controller software that shows all connected clients and the duration of their connection. My car seems to stay connected when it is at home although I don't monitor that very closely. In other words it will show that the car has been connected for many hours without dropping the connection.