Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your drive today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the wipers are not so good. Also I have noticed that with cold weather I have some rattling nose inside my door. I think that rain gets in and freezes into pelts. Does anybody experienced the rattling noise?
Hi @Stan K,

Yes, I get the noise that sounds like ice rubbing against something "not ice" (metalm glass, plastic, whatever). This happens most often the morning after a car wash when water accumulated in some holding spots and turned to ice. After a couple of days the rattling dies down (mostly). I assume this is because the ice has now broken up into small enough chunks to no longer cause loud crackling/scraping noise.

The first few times I thought something had loosened and was scraping and expected the noises to continue or get louder over time. Since the opposite happened, I chalked it up to what you've observed.

For me, the noises seem to originate along the seam in the roof as well as from the trunk area, not the doors.

Hope this helps

Hi @Stan K,

Yes, I get the noise that sounds like ice rubbing against something "not ice" (metalm glass, plastic, whatever). This happens most often the morning after a car wash when water accumulated in some holding spots and turned to ice. After a couple of days the rattling dies down (mostly). I assume this is because the ice has now broken up into small enough chunks to no longer cause loud crackling/scraping noise.

The first few times I thought something had loosened and was scraping and expected the noises to continue or get louder over time. Since the opposite happened, I chalked it up to what you've observed.

For me, the noises seem to originate along the seam in the roof as well as from the trunk area, not the doors.

Hope this helps

Same experience after a car wash. I knew it was Ice problems but still sound scary. Like you said, the noise was coming from the roof and the trunk, it happened more when the road/ride was not smooth. Now everything are back to normal, :)

No sir-e-bob! I need to keep it at a nice 21-22C.

Agree. it's a expensive car, when would I not keep it nice and warm. Charging is cheap..

For my ICE car, I cannot pre-heat the cabin and the seats, and it will take another 5 to 10 minutes before it warmed up, even the seat heater takes a while. Now I always get into a warm and cozy car. That is nice when outside is -32.

The best part is we don't have to stand in -50 degree wind chill to fill up gas anymore. No gas fumes either.
Also:
  • no stepping in a puddle of gas while fueling and then having the inside of your car stinking like gasoline
  • no swiping points cards, then fuel discount cards, then the payment card, then entering your PIN, while your hands go numb
  • no having to pay $0.25/L extra for Premium fuel because your vehicle manufacturer recommends/requires it
  • no having to deal with pricing that moves around like a fart in the wind on a daily / hourly basis
It's nice to be able to "fuel" my car at home for about 1/4 of the cost of gas without freezing my ass off while stepping in puddles of toxic waste, and without having to wonder how much it will cost me today, or having to pay for "premium" electricity. It's just so much better in an EV.

Also:
  • no stepping in a puddle of gas while fueling and then having the inside of your car stinking like gasoline
  • no swiping points cards, then fuel discount cards, then the payment card, then entering your PIN, while your hands go numb
  • no having to pay $0.25/L extra for Premium fuel because your vehicle manufacturer recommends/requires it
  • no having to deal with pricing that moves around like a fart in the wind on a daily / hourly basis
It's nice to be able to "fuel" my car at home for about 1/4 of the cost of gas without freezing my ass off while stepping in puddles of toxic waste, and without having to wonder how much it will cost me today, or having to pay for "premium" electricity. It's just so much better in an EV.

All of the aforementioned points plus now I can plug in at work everyday and charge for freeeeeeeeeee.

Fee charging, that is a BIG plus.

Though I have no problem charging at home, so relaxing.

Life is so different from just couple of years ago. Smart Home, robotic vacuum, Tesla. Just more free time to do what I love most...

Yea it was a surprise. They installed two EV chargers outside of my office randomly back in October 2018. So I usually only have to charge at home on the weekends now.

Lol, I've had my smart home stuff running for a time now and recently got a robotic vacuum as well.

Same. plugging in for a free charge puts a childish grin on my face every morning. :D

I proposed to my work to install chargers and they read my proposal out loud and had a laugh at our monthly meeting :). They said it's up to the building management to install as we don't own the place. So I sent the same proposal - edited to the management company and have yet to hear back.

Not even a thank you for your email reply. Shows the penny pinching mentality that is capitalism even though EVs w/o oil and fluid leaks like ICEV are better for the parking lot maintenance in the long run.

All of the aforementioned points plus now I can plug in at work everyday and charge for freeeeeeeeeee.

Same. plugging in for a free charge puts a childish grin on my face every morning. :D
Haha, same here. Cost of electric fuel for me is literally zero, with the exception of Supercharger use...

(Though technically, it's not free as have to pay for parking downtown while charging is free, but at least work sufficiently reimburses parking fees. :D)

Last edited:
Hi @Stan K,

Hope this helps

I find the loose ice tends to accumulate below the hood and rattle around in the well just underneath the wipers. Once it's cleared out, no more noise. Oddly, I found that there were times it sounded like it was coming from elsewhere like the roof but it was from that well.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe and bijan
9FF0F1BD-A41D-4832-8140-68C6D5254721.jpeg
With the mild temps this morning, nice to see my watt usage in a more respectable territory. Best numbers ive seen with the winter tires have been on and the recent updates.
Last charge was at 6am.

Last edited: