TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How is your exterior protected?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gnychis, Feb 20, 2014.

?

How is your exterior protected?

1. Full Xpel (or comparable)

14 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Full Xpel + Opticoat

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Partial Xpel

14 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Partial Xpel + Opticoat

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Opticoat

22 vote(s)
    21.0%
  6. Naked, just how I like it

36 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. gnychis

gnychis Member

#1 gnychis, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    I am curious how many people Xpel and/or opticoat their Teslas. So, I figured I'd create a simple poll to try and see what most people do. Your options are various mixes and mashes of Xpel (or something comparable to it), plus opticoat. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry for not making the options a little more comprehensive, apparently I did a ****** job at that :\ Think of it as Xpel or some other form of clear bra, and Opticoat or some other form of coating. Then feel free to chime in to the comments with exactly what you have applied. Thanks for all the responses!

2. Dukecat

Dukecat Member

If it was an option, I would select: Partial paint protection film (it's not Xpel) + Opticoat.

3. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

XPEL full front + rear bumper + Gtechniq C1 crystal lacquer on non-XPEL parts and Gtechniq EXOv2 on everything.

4. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I had my detail guy put a sealant on--not Xpel, not Opti, Not Opti Pro--then I coated it with about 5-7 coats of Griots and Meguiars waxes and polishes.

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#5 kevincwelch, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    This poll is missing several things.

You've left out nano coatings such as Gtechniq, 22PLE, CQuartz, etc. as well as hybrid sealants, sealants and waxes.

Gtechniq C1+EXOv2, G1, C4, C5
    Maintained with either Carpro Reload or Gtenchiq C1.5

6. Vip

Vip Member

Full Xpel with 22PLE coating. I voted for Full Xpel and opticoat.

7. snellenr

snellenr Member

No mention of Tesla's Paint Armor?

Please tell me the bad news now, before my new toy moves from "Sourcing" to "Production"... :frown:

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The bad news is that it only covers half the hood so there is a dirt line that looks just awful. In addition, plenty of damaging particles hit above the line. There have also been complaints that the installation was poor. Get full coverage (at least the hood and fenders if you think full coverage is too expensive) from a good local source.

9. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Poll is missing another choice indicating "no protection at all and not happy about it."

10. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I am not a fan of Tesla's paint armor. Definitely XPEL is a far better product.

11. strider

strider Active Member

Factory PPF and Zaino.

12. gnychis

gnychis Member

Apparently I did a really ****** job of creating a comprehensive poll, sorry about that :( Everyone's comments and details have been great to read through. I can't figure out how to edit the poll, otherwise I would.

13. Odenator

Odenator P2607

100% coverage with Suntek. I can go through standard car washes with abandon.

14. Lump

Lump Active Member

Xpel on everything in the front (mirror to mirror, door guards & back bumper) & Zaino on everything else, If I was dealing with snow I would have Xpeled everything but didn't feel the need in So. Cal.

15. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Agreed. Tesla's factory applied paint armor had limited coverage and was poorly applied in my case. The local service center was very accommodating and had a third party reapply most of the paint armor under warranty. Ironically the small piece of paint armor on the frunk was properly applied, but I paid to have it removed to do a full hood cover.

I believe my exterior is similar to yours.

Tesla paint armor front + rear bumper + Gtechniq C1 crystal lacquer on non-paint armor parts and Gtechniq EXOv2 on everything.

Larry

16. landover

landover Member

I would just like to add one more thing to this poll. How much did you pay for what you got done.

Thanks for the poll.

17. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Glare Pro Polish. Supposed to shine better than Opticoat and I get to put it on over and over again!

18. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I read artsci's excellent set of tests on paint sealants. However, I just could not get over their website nor how confusing the product lineup was on the site, so I called them. The gentlemen on the phone was well, responded I such a way that I definitely was not going to buy their product. He was also very much against paint protection films. I went with Gtechniq because I wanted that kind of technology and it was something that I could apply myself.

19. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Great poll. Amazing how far clear bra technology has come in the past few years. I never liked the stuff but we still applied it to client cars because it provided the added protection against rock chips. Now, I'm so happy to be applying XPEL and Suntek as the durability, clarity, and warranty has made it a no-brainer.

20. snellenr

snellenr Member

Thanks for the poll, and for the responses to my Paint Armor question...