Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Cybertrk,

I got 2021.4.2 last night and installed it. Since you mentioned that you were told this fixed the issue, I thought I would take some pictures.
Bottom line, I don't think it mattered. Here's three.

This picture is with no lights. I got in the car, pulled up the camera didn't turn the headlights on. Garage is dark and doors are closed.

You be the judge. Did 4.2 help?

View attachment 635610

This picture is with my foot on the brake. Most lighting is coming from reflection of headlights from the white garage door.

View attachment 635611

Final picture. Foot off the brake. Car in Reverse (you can see the marker lines) and headlights still on.

View attachment 635613

Can you try with the garage door open or with your headlights off? On a dark street or parking lot, you won't have your own headlight reflection to help. Still, it's not as bad as I expected.

Can you try with the garage door open or with your headlights off? On a dark street or parking lot, you won't have your own headlight reflection to help. Still, it's not as bad as I expected.
No, I don't think so. Our streets have street lights, so there's no really dark areas. I can guess that I am not the only person with 4.2, so I will let someone else take a shot at it.

I upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 today. I took some video and photos of MCU1 in my way out. Tomorrow morning, same time of morning, I’ll take the same photos and can show them side by side. MCU2 is absolutely darker in low light. It feels like it may be more crisp with good ambient light.

It updated to this version last night.

Attachments

• FDEF37D0-00B4-427D-9277-608370EFA4CB.jpeg
    FDEF37D0-00B4-427D-9277-608370EFA4CB.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 365
I got updated to 2021.4.3 last night. Release notes show "Minor Fixes" only. I haven't tested the backup camera yet but will do so if I remember later. Easiest way to see if improvement is there is to show the repeater cameras while reversing and compare. The repeater cameras have been way more visible at night.

Reactions: Cybertrk
I checked last night on 2020.48.35.5 and even though it was not as dark as a loaner I previously drove, it was still dark in my driveway and couldn’t see my mailbox. But this evening it looked “normal”. I tried it too in an area on my street that is not lit up, and I looked fine. I kept the camera on during my drive to the stores and it never appeared very dark.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Absolutely huge difference. Here’s a shot from 2020.48.35.5:
View attachment 636017

And the exact same scene with 2021.4.3:
View attachment 636018

Looks like this one is resolved! Curious to see what they changed under the hood, will take a look in the coming days!
Amazing! Good timing for me as I just did the MCU2 upgrade yesterday. My update just completed but your pic saved me going out and doing some testing tonight. Tomorrow, I’ll do some tests and compare them to yesterday morning before the MCU2 upgrade. Hopefully it’s fully restored, because it was pretty kick ass with MCU1.

Reactions: Guy V
Absolutely huge difference. Here’s a shot from 2020.48.35.5:
View attachment 636017

And the exact same scene with 2021.4.3:
View attachment 636018

Looks like this one is resolved! Curious to see what they changed under the hood, will take a look in the coming days!

Same feedback here. It is 300x better, I can't guarantee it's the same as it was with MCU1, but it is usable at night with zero street lights.