Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
pic with no street lights and brake lights off MCU2 (normally as we all know it's just 100% crushed black)

img_0505-jpeg.636119

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpeg
    IMG_0505.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 618
Absolutely huge difference. Here’s a shot from 2020.48.35.5:
View attachment 636017

And the exact same scene with 2021.4.3:
View attachment 636018

Looks like this one is resolved! Curious to see what they changed under the hood, will take a look in the coming days!

Well well! This is good news indeed! Just did MCU2 and could tell right away how much darker it was.. here's to hoping for a new SW load for my car soon.

This is odd. Just had a test run and the rear camera is fine while it’s on display. But Teslacam recordings have the old dark images. Maybe the FW3 needs that darkness or they just haven’t fixed that part yet.

it’s not surprising tbh; as I mentioned a few posts back, the teslacam recordings come from the APE as h264 encoded UDP feeds. The MCU just muxes them to mp4 files and writes them to USB. The APE has its own processing pipeline and it looks like whatever they fixed/adjusted they only fixed on the MCU for the “live” display (for now).

Last edited:
We have a 2017 S (MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade) and 2018 X (came with MCU2) - and really don't see a difference with the rear camera between the two vehicles.

We did pay to get the display replaced with the Infotainment Upgrade - is it possible that those reporting dark backup cameras saved some $ by opting to keep their original displays?

We have a 2017 S (MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade) and 2018 X (came with MCU2) - and really don't see a difference with the rear camera between the two vehicles.

We did pay to get the display replaced with the Infotainment Upgrade - is it possible that those reporting dark backup cameras saved some $ by opting to keep their original displays?
No, the issue was fixed in latest firmwares so that backup cam on mcu1/2 are now virtually the same in darkness.

You can tackle the situation from 2 different perspectives...

1.- The issue with the dark image from the backup camera relied on a problem with the way MCU2 units dealt with the image feed sent from the backup camera.

Since both your 2017 Model S and your 2018 Model X now have MCU2's, you wouldn't be able to currently see any differences.

2.- As @kdday wisely wrote, this particular issue was greatly improved with the latest firmwares; so again, you currently wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Fortunately this issue didn't linger around very long. My wife drives a Raven Model X and I have a 2017 Model S, and previous to it getting the Infotainment Upgrade, the difference was literally like night and day. Then the Infotainment Upgrade came to my Model S, and they both became equally unusable on dark scenarios... until they both got 2021.4.3.

Reactions: krsgio
Fortunately this issue didn't linger around very long.

Define not very long. This issue affected all MCU2 displays not just those that were updated. My Model S was built in 2019 and had a dark rear camera display since the day I purchased it. It's certainly possible that some software build released in 2019 prior to me purchasing my car caused the issue but it was still around for well over a year.