Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think the problem is HW related. There is no way
1) Tesla doens't know about this
2) There is a easy FW fix.
Since I got my MCU2 upgrade almost 6 months ago, there were >5 FW updates, all of them addressing spotify, fart mode, font size and such. Looks like they have time for that.

problem is HW related.

In as much as an MCU1 car works fine until the MCU is upgraded (and the MCU is the only relevant part replaced) then it must be hardware 'related' but could still be software fixable.

I believe the rear camera connects to the MCU using a different bus from the others, so the signal gets processed differently. I was told it is to do with image rendering being different on MCU2, and so far no MCU 2 units have given the same lighter image as MCU1 (which displays similar contrast between all cameras.)

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
I agree it is a software issue. But after they came back and replaced my camera, things improved a little (see pictures/posts above). It is now only slightly better than unusable.
I agree - I have a brand new 2021 Model S (6 days old) and I already sent a Bug message through the car that when backing up at night, the picture on the screen is too dark to be very helpful. I'm disappointed, because it was unbelievable on my prior 2018 Model 3. I'm hoping for a software fix w/in the next few days (just a holiday weekend).

I was convinced at least..

Well, evidence is what counts. I can't speak for your experiences of course, but although there are owners who seem convinced that 'Bug Report' actually does something, I suspect that Tesla would need to have a huge support team to keep up with even a fraction of Bug Reports.

I am pretty sure that the purpose of the Bug Report is to allow owners to make a local log entry on their car that can be accessed by a service center on request and captures some fairly basic information for them to look at.

As far as I have read, even AP disengagement information that cars laboriously send back to Tesla (even if vehicle feedback is turned off) is ignored unless part of a specific campaign being worked on.

Well, evidence is what counts. I can't speak for your experiences of course, but although there are owners who seem convinced that 'Bug Report' actually does something, I suspect that Tesla would need to have a huge support team to keep up with even a fraction of Bug Reports.

I am pretty sure that the purpose of the Bug Report is to allow owners to make a local log entry on their car that can be accessed by a service center on request and captures some fairly basic information for them to look at.

As far as I have read, even AP disengagement information that cars laboriously send back to Tesla (even if vehicle feedback is turned off) is ignored unless part of a specific campaign being worked on.
I'll provide an update if anything happens..

Reactions: rob4448585
I upgraded my 2015 P85D to MCU2 a couple of weeks ago and AbSoFreakinLutely LOVE it!

I've notice the rear backup camera isn't as bright but not completely dark and useless like others have posted.

The only difference on our P85D is I upgraded the dimmer YELLOWer halogen license plate bulbs to these LEDs from Abstract Ocean. They're definitely brighter and the light is more WHITE which may help with the MCU2 darkness issue.

LED License Plate Bulb Kit for Model S (pre August, 2014 only)

Use this link to get $10 off $50+ for new Abstract Ocean customers: Abstract Ocean
upload_2021-1-8_13-4-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-8_13-3-57.png
    upload_2021-1-8_13-3-57.png
    502 KB · Views: 43
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeC and SO16
Has anyone who has tried increased illumination (spare a thought for UK owners who have only one reversing light on one side as the other is a high brightness fog light iirc) noticed how the rear cam image handles bright lights like car or street lights shining into the camera?

Tesla will really need to start upgrading their cameras on all models, even cheap ICE vehicles are getting HD cameras now iith excellent clear resolution

Well, the problem is not the camera's - it's the new MCU settings. My display was PERFECT and night mode illuminated exceptionally well with stock bulbs etc, with MCU1. The new MCU has different processing/settings - as if the contrast setting is way to high, as well as the gamma.

While it might help a little, replacing cameras and upgrading bulbs is not the solution. Tesla needs to send a software update to the MCU. And if that doesn't work, replace the MCU(again).