Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not suggesting that its a hardware fix or anything. I haven't even had the MCU upgrade yet because my service center is a joke and I've been waiting for 2 months now. Simply saying that I noticed on my invoice that there was a camera part listed on it. I work in software so I know that this could simply be addressed with code rather than a hardware swap just letting people know that their newest MCU upgrade process includes a camera is all.

I'm not suggesting that its a hardware fix or anything. I haven't even had the MCU upgrade yet because my service center is a joke and I've been waiting for 2 months now. Simply saying that I noticed on my invoice that there was a camera part listed on it. I work in software so I know that this could simply be addressed with code rather than a hardware swap just letting people know that their newest MCU upgrade process includes a camera is all.

It is useful to know they are suggesting a camera exchange. My car has this issue registered with Tesla so I will certainly be looking into a possible camera revision.

My change from the MCU1 to the MCU2 the function of the camera is useless at night.

It turns black when no or few lights are around, the camera worked fine with the MCU1, with that unit it was backing up at night as if backing up in normal daylight.

I was not told that the backup camera with the new unit basically become useless at night,
See one image to me trying making a hidden car visible using my brake lights, it did not help.

The SUC said this is known, they said somewhat less vision but it is 90% of vision lost and want it fixed.
I spend quite a fortune getting the memory part fixed, had to invest in a DAB tuner and now tge camera is not functioning.

Attachments

• DB2FB7C6-35D0-48C7-8CFB-2C40AE9F7443.jpeg
    DB2FB7C6-35D0-48C7-8CFB-2C40AE9F7443.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 24C9920D-57E6-4526-8372-D3700FAFF65C.jpeg
    24C9920D-57E6-4526-8372-D3700FAFF65C.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 191
Update for those who inquired(And thanks for the suggestion to look for the invoice in the app).
The part they replaced is:

ASY, BACKUP CAMERA, S/X(1061269-00D)
[I am not sure if that is a new P/N or if they just replaced the orig and hoped it would help]
And I did not pay anything for it.

I'll reiterate that it is an improvement - as in it is functional and I can at least backup at night, but I am still "using the force" a little because it is nowhere as bright as the original MCU1 camera combination, or my Model 3 for that matter.

Reactions: Battpower

You've been waiting 2 months? I'll trade you my MC2/cam2 for your MCU1/cam1!!
[I'm only half joking!]

And I 100% agree, I am so shocked a SW update did not resolve this - The whole point of this massive network for OTA updates and something like this needs a HW replacement that only marginally resolves the issue?
This reminds me of the EARLY days when the backup camera did not have the lines painted in correlation to where the steering wheel was positioned. "We need to update the hardware to support chroma key overlay" and then Tesla figured out how to do it in software.....

Tesla, put me on your list of Beta testers to fix the fix! I'm hyper critical and can accurately fill out a bug report!

Following as I feel mine is much darker in the evening hours also. For a minute this summer I thought it was fixed with firmware, but I guess it was just the long summer days in Seattle.

Now that we are back into dark fall/winter months, I can see it was wishful thinking...definitely darker than it was with my MCU1.

they are working to resolve the problem in the firmware.

Last February I was advised by sc that the known rendering issue effecting all MCU2 units was being worked on for a software fix.

Last week it was suggested by sc that there might be a fix and a service appointment has been created, although so far I haven't seen any evidence of a solution.

Did a test last night where we had
  • my friends late 2014 Model S with MCU2 upgrade and original camera.
  • my car, a 2013 Model S with MCU1 and original camera

Image from iOS.jpg
Image from iOS (1).jpg

We were standing right next to eachother, both cars have the backup light lit, but also the normal back lights.
We both have the newest SW available for our cars.
The only difference here then, is the MCU itself, and the software within to decode the information from the cameras.
A huge difference as you can see.
My guess is that the light sensitivity in the newer cameras are different, and that the MCU2 software has been more fine tuned to accomodate that, forgetting the compability towards older cameras. - so it seems like the MCU-rebuild cars have an even worse view than those with original MCU2

Last edited:
MCU-rebuild cars have an even worse view than those with original MCU2

From the pictures I have seen, I would say my MCU2 MS R LR is exactly the same as the MCU 1 to 2 upgrade cars. I doubt you could get any worse!

My first thought was that cameras were different, but from posts here and fairly consistent feedback from Tesla is that it is the image rendering process in MCU2 that causes the problem. Why I don't totally believe that is because I don't see what's different about just the rear view camera.

Unless Tesla decided they needed to process the rear camera image differently for some reason..... but I can't come up with any reason for that.

From the pictures I have seen, I would say my MCU2 MS R LR is exactly the same as the MCU 1 to 2 upgrade cars. I doubt you could get any worse!

My first thought was that cameras were different, but from posts here and fairly consistent feedback from Tesla is that it is the image rendering process in MCU2 that causes the problem. Why I don't totally believe that is because I don't see what's different about just the rear view camera.

Unless Tesla decided they needed to process the rear camera image differently for some reason..... but I can't come up with any reason for that.

I believe the feed from the rear camera is a native feed to the MCU, whereas the repeater cameras are streams over the LAN from the Autopilot computer.

My backup camera is practically useless at night in my MCU2-native car.

Just got my MCU2 upgrade yesterday. :)

Yeah the camera is too dark. But I think the whole display is much darker at night when in "Auto" brightness mode. This might add up to the camera problem. Camera becomes much better if you manually push the display brightness up.

Tesla could and should fix this in software, increase display brightness while reversing!

Has anyone inspected the camera, are there IR Leds like in most aftermarket rear cameras? Perhaps those are not lit properly..

Yeah the camera is too dark. But I think the whole display is much darker at night when in "Auto" brightness mode. This might add up to the camera problem. Camera becomes much better if you manually push the display brightness up.

Tesla could and should fix this in software, increase display brightness while reversing!

Has anyone inspected the camera, are there IR Leds like in most aftermarket rear cameras? Perhaps those are not lit properly..

If you look at the pictures and your new display, you will see it is the rear camera image that is way different from the others. Not related to screen brightness, although it might help the rear camera view to have the whole display uncomfortably bright.

Your rear camera didn't get swapped, did it? If not, then your camera performance should be the same as with MCU1.

If you look at the pictures and your new display, you will see it is the rear camera image that is way different from the others. Not related to screen brightness, although it might help the rear camera view to have the whole display uncomfortably bright.

Your rear camera didn't get swapped, did it? If not, then your camera performance should be the same as with MCU1.

Sure it should, and obviously isn't. :) I was just trying to figure out ways to improve it. If it's some hardware problem in MCU2, it's unlikely that Tesla is going to fix it anytime soon. But a software solution might be possible.

One possibility would be to simply have better reversing lights.. Euro models have only ONE small light which doesn't really illuminate anything. I believe US models have two. But there's no easy clean place to add additional lights..

Yup. We all have that issue after the Infotainment Ugrade Package. You'll also noticed that the EQ doesn't go over 8 any more, and that there's no Dolby Surround (but that one was expected). Hopefully the camera issue is just software that they can fix, but I got my Infotainment Ugrade Package back in March, and have received about 8 software update since, and it's still a problem. The EQ part is what I want returned back to 10...
I noticed this too!

but now I have immersive audio instead?

After finally getting my MCU upgrade can confirm how useless the camera is in the dark without brake lights to help illuminate anything. Also I thought I saw a camera on my invoice but it was a "Rear view camera HSD Jumper(1127304-00-B). Whatever that is.

yes my speedo cluster is so dim.. i moved it a %, the pushed auto and that seemed to get it happy