Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Me too". 2015 S70D just got MCU2 upgrade Nov 24. Rear camera isn't just darker at night, it's completely black - useless. It's fine during the day, or in a well-lit parking lot. 2020.44.15.

My 2015 P85D is scheduled for an MCU1 memory card replacement on Dec. 7th.

Knowing that, would you spend the $2,500 now for the MCU2 upgrade?

Did your sound system take a hit too? We have the Premium Sound System and are worried it will lose it's AWESOME sound...

Am I imagining things or did the camera get brighter on 2020.44.25 update? Or perhaps it's just the full moon that's been around for a few days. Anyway I can see fairly well now even at night.

Did your sound system take a hit too? We have the Premium Sound System and are worried it will lose it's AWESOME sound...

I love the new MCU. :) Dark camera and different sound are just small quirks in otherwise perfect relationship. :D

I kind of like the new sound. It certainly sounds different than before, but in my opinion it's not worse.

Reactions: besnova
Am I imagining things or did the camera get brighter on 2020.44.25 update? Or perhaps it's just the full moon that's been around for a few days. Anyway I can see fairly well now even at night.

I love the new MCU. :) Dark camera and different sound are just small quirks in otherwise perfect relationship. :D

I kind of like the new sound. It certainly sounds different than before, but in my opinion it's not worse.
Same her in Switzerland two days ago I make big upgade tommy S 75D MCU2-CSS-HW3
For me the sound is no beter than before and yes rear camera is darker but normally it's corected on a next software update.

I wonder if there is some form of infra red light not being illuminated on the upgraded MCU's?

I am still on MCU1 and the reversing camera at night is definitely better than the ambient light. The darker it gets the more impressive the image becomes.

I got my lights from ebay:

2x Tesla Clear Bumper Reflector LED Reverse Tail Stop Brake Light Model S 2012+ | eBay

They replace the reflectors in bottom rear corners. There's white reversing light, and two different brightness reds for brake and tail lights.

Didn't have time to install them yet, but I did run some quick tests with lights on top of card board box wired to separate +12V power supply like this.

20201204_195617.jpg

The reference picture, this one has only stock reversing light, no brake lights. Solid black:

View attachment 614524

Stock reversing and brake lights.. Note how it's pretty dark near the car, but brighter at far:

20201204_194854.jpg

Stock reversing light + extra white light. Seems to illuminate the part near the car:

20201204_194802.jpg

Stock reversing light + extra white light + stock brake light:

20201204_194754.jpg

At this point I wired the brake + white together in the extra lamp. The result looks quite good, a bit "pink" but I guess it's white enough to pass as reversing light. The result, only stock reversing light and this "pink" extra light:

20201204_195433.jpg

Combined with stock brake lights this is pretty amazing:

20201204_195428.jpg

I'll try to actually install them to car tomorrow. :) I think I need to remove the bumber to get the reflectors out and find a way for the wiring. Also need to find a way to tap into the stock reversing light, which is in the trunk lid so it's not obvious where the wire is on car side..

Attachments

• 20201204_194858.jpg
    20201204_194858.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 134

I didn't notice any difference in sound, but I don't have Premium and I am hard of hearing, so ....

I would still do the upgrade because it really annoyed me having to reboot every time I got in the car because the browser was hung.

Reactions: BrokerDon
I got my lights from ebay:

2x Tesla Clear Bumper Reflector LED Reverse Tail Stop Brake Light Model S 2012+ | eBay

They replace the reflectors in bottom rear corners. There's white reversing light, and two different brightness reds for brake and tail lights.

Didn't have time to install them yet, but I did run some quick tests with lights on top of card board box wired to separate +12V power supply like this.

View attachment 614514

The reference picture, this one has only stock reversing light, no brake lights. Solid black:

View attachment 614524

Stock reversing and brake lights.. Note how it's pretty dark near the car, but brighter at far:

View attachment 614519

Stock reversing light + extra white light. Seems to illuminate the part near the car:

View attachment 614520

Stock reversing light + extra white light + stock brake light:

View attachment 614522

At this point I wired the brake + white together in the extra lamp. The result looks quite good, a bit "pink" but I guess it's white enough to pass as reversing light. The result, only stock reversing light and this "pink" extra light:

View attachment 614516

Combined with stock brake lights this is pretty amazing:

View attachment 614517

I'll try to actually install them to car tomorrow. :) I think I need to remove the bumber to get the reflectors out and find a way for the wiring. Also need to find a way to tap into the stock reversing light, which is in the trunk lid so it's not obvious where the wire is on car side..
Check out daeriks install on YouTube when he did the rear lighted fascia install.

Reactions: Zuikkis
I installed the lights last weekend, but didn't have time to post pictures earlier.

I did not remove the bumper. Instead I just pried the reflectors out. They are just snapped in place, but the plastic clips are so tight that it's close to impossible to remove without breaking the clips. But I figured it doesn't matter if I replace them anyway.

I drilled holes so I can get the wires to the trunk.

The light required some modification to fit nicely. The inner edge is a bit too sharp. Then indent in the bumper is much more round. The light does not seat properly to the bottom if the edge is not rounded. But it's quite easy just to snip a piece out with pliers. It's shown in one of the photos. Only the black plastic needs to be modified, the clear lens is fine.

Wires are tapped into the harness that goes to trunk lid from the right side of the car. Some of the interior trims need to be removed, but still quite easy. I routed the wire for brake light and reversing light to the rear of the car, and then used Wago quick connectors to connect these wires the wires coming from the lights. This way it's quite easy to change configuration how the lights work. Currently I have connected brake and reversing separately, but I'm not sure if I like the brake light or not..

Attachments

• 20201205_121712.jpg
    20201205_121712.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20201205_121723.jpg
    20201205_121723.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20201205_122925.jpg
    20201205_122925.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201205_144103.jpg
    20201205_144103.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20201205_155257.jpg
    20201205_155257.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20201205_163643.jpg
    20201205_163643.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20201205_183111.jpg
    20201205_183111.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20201205_183114.jpg
    20201205_183114.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 125
I installed the lights last weekend, but didn't have time to post pictures earlier.

I did not remove the bumper. Instead I just pried the reflectors out. They are just snapped in place, but the plastic clips are so tight that it's close to impossible to remove without breaking the clips. But I figured it doesn't matter if I replace them anyway.

I drilled holes so I can get the wires to the trunk.

The light required some modification to fit nicely. The inner edge is a bit too sharp. Then indent in the bumper is much more round. The light does not seat properly to the bottom if the edge is not rounded. But it's quite easy just to snip a piece out with pliers. It's shown in one of the photos. Only the black plastic needs to be modified, the clear lens is fine.

Wires are tapped into the harness that goes to trunk lid from the right side of the car. Some of the interior trims need to be removed, but still quite easy. I routed the wire for brake light and reversing light to the rear of the car, and then used Wago quick connectors to connect these wires the wires coming from the lights. This way it's quite easy to change configuration how the lights work. Currently I have connected brake and reversing separately, but I'm not sure if I like the brake light or not..

Nice work! Thanks for your much more eloquent solution than alluded to in DÆrik's Lighted Rear Appliqué installation video.

I'd love to see pictures:
  • of the MCU2 screen showing before and after backup illumination
  • from the rear in Reverse with the Brake lights OFF
Again, thanks for coming up with a potential solution to the poor Reverse ("back up") light issue from MCU2 upgrade. LOVE converting the reflectors below the bumpers into "back up" lights!

I'd love to see pictures:
  • of the MCU2 screen showing before and after backup illumination
  • from the rear in Reverse with the Brake lights OFF

There are a few pictures few posts above. :) Although the lights were not yet installed in a car, just standing on top of a card board box, but the result looks pretty much the same when they are in car. I can take new photos now that they are installed, though. :)

It might not look that bright in the pictures, but I no longer never have the "pitch black" screen.. It is very much usable now.

I have my MCU1 AP2.0 mode s upgrade to MCU2 AP3 and my rear camera is now dark at night. Before it was as if there is IR night vision. I don’t think the camera was changed so it is probably software.

Did anyone hear anything from Tesla about this? I didn’t notice much of an improvement even though there had been 2-3 updates since.

I just got my MCU2 upgrade yesterday on my 2015 P85D and checked out the backup camera last night. First impression was the backup camera is definitely not as bright but usable, especially when my brake lights came on when I shifted to Reverse... and tapped them while backing up.

I keep my browser on black.org to minimize memory usage on that. I have fast.com favorited to test speeds.

The camera is dark for me although I brought it to Tesla's attention that rear camera is dark at night, darker than MCU1 back camera. Still the same issue as you guys so nothing new.

Yeah I agree with the sound. It sounds like there is more bass all on 0 but even if I max out the volume and max out bass, it still sounds clear and high quality. I put it to -2.0, personal preference.

Did you get your car back? How is the memory upgrade? Do you notice anything different in performance?

Did you get your car back? How is the memory upgrade? Do you notice anything different in performance?

I just got my 2015 Model S P85D back late yesterday from the Costa Mesa, CA Service Center with the MCU2 upgrade and new display (and new 2020.44.25 software update).

WOW. What an incredible improvement! The Tesla browser actually works which is important to me since I use Tesla Waze all the time to stay speeding ticket free. We also use it to view websites which the MCU1 struggled to load and display.

I also love the MCU2 5.0Ghz WiFi option which gave me 100 Mbps vs. the previous 7 Mbps on the MCU1 with 4G LTE upgrade which only had 2.4Ghz WiFi. This speed increase should download the typically LARGE Tesla software and map updates faster and again makes using the Tesla browser a viable option. Previous MCU1 browsing was painfully slow or simply displayed a blank screen so we gave us using it and instead used our iPhones.

Also the map filling and drawing (especially the refreshes) are MUCH faster, the screen and key entries are much more responsive. NetFlix app works great although I wish they put the video rectangle in the top of the display instead of the middle since it would be closer to head (not chest / belly) height. I couldn't get YouTube app to work since I have 2 Factor Authentication on my logon... which the browser doesn't seem to support. Any ideas how to get around that?

Only differences are the backup camera brightness is less (but still usable). Also my Premium Audio sounds a little different... but I like the new MCU2 Full Immersive option (and never really liked the Dolby audio of the MCU1).

BOTTOM LINE. VERY happy with this upgrade since it resolved the biggest annoyance of our otherwise awesome P85D. This will definitely hold me over for the next 2 years until hopefully:
  • my Tesla 4-year extended warranty expires
  • FSD becomes a reality
  • the next Model S is released... or I can find a great deal on an "Inventory" or "used" Performance Model S

I'm also suffering the dark backup camera after upgrade to MCU2. Otherwise I'm happy with the upgrade, and makes things feel newer. However, all the apps (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube etc) take anywhere from 15-30 seconds to actually launch once they are selected. Is this normal? Makes it feel a bit like an old tablet and was surprised at how slow it is to load, and then play a selection

I just got my 2015 Model S P85D back late yesterday from the Costa Mesa, CA Service Center with the MCU2 upgrade and new display (and new 2020.44.25 software update).

WOW. What an incredible improvement! The Tesla browser actually works which is important to me since I use Tesla Waze all the time to stay speeding ticket free. We also use it to view websites which the MCU1 struggled to load and display.

I also love the MCU2 5.0Ghz WiFi option which gave me 100 Mbps vs. the previous 7 Mbps on the MCU1 with 4G LTE upgrade which only had 2.4Ghz WiFi. This speed increase should download the typically LARGE Tesla software and map updates faster and again makes using the Tesla browser a viable option. Previous MCU1 browsing was painfully slow or simply displayed a blank screen so we gave us using it and instead used our iPhones.

Also the map filling and drawing (especially the refreshes) are MUCH faster, the screen and key entries are much more responsive. NetFlix app works great although I wish they put the video rectangle in the top of the display instead of the middle since it would be closer to head (not chest / belly) height. I couldn't get YouTube app to work since I have 2 Factor Authentication on my logon... which the browser doesn't seem to support. Any ideas how to get around that?

Only differences are the backup camera brightness is less (but still usable). Also my Premium Audio sounds a little different... but I like the new MCU2 Full Immersive option (and never really liked the Dolby audio of the MCU1).

BOTTOM LINE. VERY happy with this upgrade since it resolved the biggest annoyance of our otherwise awesome P85D. This will definitely hold me over for the next 2 years until hopefully:
  • my Tesla 4-year extended warranty expires
  • FSD becomes a reality
  • the next Model S is released... or I can find a great deal on an "Inventory" or "used" Performance Model S
YouTube didn't let me log on either after trying on different networks and LTE. Until somehow some day after I was able to sign in even with the 2FA lol. Now it is signed in and all my stuff is there. I would just keep trying. Try to update your car to the latest version or give it a few days and keep trying. I was getting a "unsupported browser" message until someday it just let me through.

Enjoy your new MCU2! I got it just recently and am loving it as well, especially when parked and waiting/charging, etc...