Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also suffering the dark backup camera after upgrade to MCU2. Otherwise I'm happy with the upgrade, and makes things feel newer. However, all the apps (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube etc) take anywhere from 15-30 seconds to actually launch once they are selected. Is this normal? Makes it feel a bit like an old tablet and was surprised at how slow it is to load, and then play a selection
Same with me when loading up, mostly Hulu and Netflix. YouTube is web-based so that probably takes a few just to load up the browser platform then another few to load up the page.

There's a trick to login into YouTube. If it doesn't work directly, go to plex.tv in the browser. Login with Google. It doesn't matter if you have never used Plex, Google login will work.

After that, launch YouTube and it will show you are logged in

Both YouTube and Netflix are really running on top of the browser. The difference is that browser runs windowed and app full screen, but in Model S that's not much of a difference..

you might want to run them always in browser, it's quicker to launch and especially quicker to switch between services. And you can use other services as well, nearly every video service works fine on the browser.

To the last two posts.......there is ALWAYS a software fix coming, that is the generic response to give you hope.;)
I wasn't really aware of this backup camera issue until seeing the pictures posted in here, how did they accept this was ok?
I've seen $60 Ebay reverse cameras with better image quality at night, I really wonder what goes on at Tesla engineering sometimes.

I wasn't really aware of this backup camera issue until seeing the pictures posted in here, how did they accept this was ok?

They probably just didn't test it in total darkness.

The pictures here are the "worst case". The camera is ok if there is any light.

It's just that it was clearly better with MCU1. That's why it was only noticed after these MCU2 upgrades started.

Every MCU2 model S has this bug. Even if they had MCU2 from new. But no one noticed until they started upgrading MCU1 cars.

Maybe relevant to this thread - got an email from Tesla saying they may reimburse part of my MCU2 upgrade, because of MCU1 eMMC failure. (I upgraded to MCU2 because MCU1 died)

Warranty Adjustment Program

Now if they'll only fix my backup camera :)

I was really happy to get this message too! My MCU1 died and I paid about $3800 CAD to upgrade to MCU2 rather than paying about $1600 CAD to repair/replace my MCU1. I'd be pretty happy to be reimbursed for the $1600 CAD cost of the MCU1!

I was really happy to get this message too
Maybe relevant to this thread - got an email from Tesla saying they may reimburse part of my MCU2 upgrade,

Is this a different email only for those who upgraded to MCU2? or the same email with Subject "Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component" sent on or around Nov 9th?

Can one of you pls post the content of this email masking any PII?

My MCU1 failed last week, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to MCU2 or get the eMMC fixed? A partial refund will almost make me pull the trigger on MCU2

Last edited:
Is this a different email only for those who upgraded to MCU2? or the same email with Subject "Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component" sent on or around Nov 9th?

Can one of you pls post the content of this email masking any PII?

My MCU1 failed last week, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to MCU2 or get the eMMC fixed? A partial refund will almost make me pull the trigger on MCU2

Email I got in November :
"
Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.
"

Link is to the warranty adjustment program.

• Helpful
Reactions: c0smicdirt
firmware fix "on the way"

To my certain knowledge, this has been the tune since Jan / Feb 2020. Remember this issue appears to effect most (all?) MCU 2 vehicles regardless of upgrade or original spec.

The pictures here are the "worst case". The camera is ok if there is any light.

I disagree. I have other cars with backup cameras and all manage reasonably well in low light. Certainly far better than MCU2.

The MCU 1 cars I have had as loaner have been WAY better in low light.

As others have observed, it looks like there is a contrast issue that makes things even worse for MCU2. Any bright light (street light, car headlights.....) and the darker image areas go black.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz