Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How large is Tesla's order backlog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snerruc

Unqualified Doofus
Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
Yesterday I ordered a MS 60 with no options As we know, Tesla prioritises by price/ profitability when setting production and this is as low a priority as you can get. I will be at the back of the line and this should give us an idea of the backlog. I'll let you know my estimated delivery date when I get it.

With them offering a 60 version (lower price), it implies the backlog is getting smaller so they need to keep the factory busy with more orders. Plus there appears to be "quite a few" cancellations of X orders but of course only Tesla really knows. Especially the Tesla DBAs.

They prioritize more optioned cars when they are ramping up production of a new model, but they don't do that with Model Ss now. They do batch orders together based on color, options, and destination. They prioritize cars for overseas orders in the first six weeks of a quarter, and prioritize domestic orders during the second half of a quarter. They build and deliver some domestic cars the first half of a quarter, but a lot get delayed.

If there are other 60/75s of the same color ordered around the same time as yours, it's possible it may get built quickly. If there are few cars like yours in the queue, then it may be a while. This month they have been running the factory full tilt to get as many domestic cars into people's hands by the end of the quarter June 30, but at this point they are probably switching over to early Q3 production.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I'm on the east coast and ordered my 60D on 6/12. It was confirmed on 6/19 (well 3AM EST on 6/20) and got a VIN about 15 minutes later. I got an email about 4PM yesterday, 6/27, that my vehicle has entered production. The delivery is still listed at July-Early August.

Sounds like your car is in the end of the quarter rush. For me it was 2 weeks from entering production to delivery, but I'm closer to the factory than you are. If they truck your car across the country it will be an additional 2-3 working days, but if they put it on a train it will probably be an additional week.

Sounds like your car is in the end of the quarter rush. For me it was 2 weeks from entering production to delivery, but I'm closer to the factory than you are. If they truck your car across the country it will be an additional 2-3 working days, but if they put it on a train it will probably be an additional week.
Yeah I think my car was in the end of quarter rush...I hope it doesn't have any additional problems because people rushed...

Shipping to Hawaii is going to take longer than in the continental US/Canada. Tesla is also switching over to international production this week or next week and very few domestic orders will be built in July.

They will be switching over to almost exclusively domestic production around mid-August and your car will probably be in the first batch because it was ordered just before they quit building domestic cars. But it will take a month to get there.

There are people in the continental US who ordered a car in early June and they are getting their car in three weeks from confirmation.

Get ready to feel frustration when cars that haven't been ordered yet get built before yours. I suggest following the Model S Delivery Update thread.
Looks like it might go the other way. I was just updated to August to early September. Makes me suspect that the backlog is shrinking. To sell 100,000 cars they need 100,000 orders in a small section of the car market. It takes two ship rides to get the car to me, so yes, there's a lot of transportation in that figure.

It's going to clear up pretty soon here if these rumors of the Auto Pilot 2 coming this year keeps gaining ground as people will stop ordering and will wait would be my guess.

I know I am internally struggling with that.