Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How late can I buy the service package and ext warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service Contract - 60 days after delivery.

Extended Warranty - Up to the day before your warranty expires.

I asked my DS about this last week and these are the things he told me.

This is also in the official paperwork. Your "My Tesla" portal page will actually count down the days for the service contract sign up:
pre-paid-countdown.jpg

No such thing for the extended warranty.

Beware on the the service contract that the terms/terminology is vague and it may not be a good idea if you're a higher mileage driver.

I didnt get the service contract but will be buying the extended warranty (currently at 41K miles).

This is also in the official paperwork. Your "My Tesla" portal page will actually count down the days for the service contract sign up:
View attachment 88424

No such thing for the extended warranty.

Beware on the the service contract that the terms/terminology is vague and it may not be a good idea if you're a higher mileage driver.

I didnt get the service contract but will be buying the extended warranty (currently at 41K miles).
Keep in mind extended warranty requires you to adhere to service intervals so it is silly to buy extended warranty without service plan.

Do you have a source for that? I'm going to be a very low-mileage owner and I was only planning on doing service every 2 years (no service plan).

Four year extension plans are only available in combination with an initial four year service plan at this time. Extension plans may be available for individual purchase in the future. Availability, duration, and pricing subject to change.

https://my.teslamotors.com/servicesignup/start

READ YOUR EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT. Forget about threads, there IS an accurate source document. It says loud and clear that you need to adhere to Tesla's regular service intervals in order for warranty to be valid. True, you do not have to buy their service plan, or even have done by Tesla (hah, where else?). But, if you don't, you still need to have service at the time/mileage intervals Tesla requires... which is same as buying their plan except more expensive.

This is from the Tesla extended service agreement:

1. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operationsprocedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla. If requested, proof of requiredservice, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must bepresented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA.