Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long after PTO does PGE go into true-up mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Just got my first bill since getting PTO 3 weeks ago. As I understand it, once your operating on NEM2, they only send you a a true-up bill once a year for net consumption/production. Still expect to get a monthly bill for NBCs and the $10/month minimum delivery charges.

Not sure what your question really is, but the PG&E true-up bill comes on yearly on the anniversary of your PTO date.

My PTO was on 11/1/2020, so I haven't gotten to a true-up yet. The first bill that I received after PTO covered 10/26 to 11/23 and the electric portion had charges that reflected E-1 rates for all of the electricity that was imported and did not reflect and if the electricity exported. I'm on auto pay and the auto pay deducted was less than the total bill (because PG&E does weird things with credits) and I now have a negative balance that reflects paying $0 for electric.

Best guess is that PG&E is slow with the conversion and that the next bill will have the corrections to E-TOU-C and NEM2.0 rules.

Not sure what your question really is, but the PG&E true-up bill comes on yearly on the anniversary of your PTO date.

My PTO was on 11/1/2020, so I haven't gotten to a true-up yet. The first bill that I received after PTO covered 10/26 to 11/23 and the electric portion had charges that reflected E-1 rates for all of the electricity that was imported and did not reflect and if the electricity exported. I'm on auto pay and the auto pay deducted was less than the total bill (because PG&E does weird things with credits) and I now have a negative balance that reflects paying $0 for electric.

Best guess is that PG&E is slow with the conversion and that the next bill will have the corrections to E-TOU-C and NEM2.0 rules.

Right, so the first bill I just got covered the entire month which included delivery charges for any days I net consumed from the grid. Does that clarify the question?

I'm surprised that you got a Bill with a few days prior to PTO and the rest after. My recollection is that when I got PTO, it started a new Bill cycle. You next bill may have retroactive changes for 11/1 onward

Care to share just the portion of the screen I should be looking for? I don't see anything related to NEM or anything on my main account page. Just EV2-A.

We have SVCE as our electricity generator (PG&E distributes and bills) so our bill would look different than yours somewhat since you’re not in our area, but check the area of your bill that shows the breakdown of Peak, Partial Peak and Off Peak and I believe it should indicate right above that table what your Rate Schedule is.

We have solar and storage and our PG&E blue bill indicates NEM E-EV2-A. Before we got PTO our bill showed EV2-A. In our case we got a bill after PTO that was marked FINAL (apparently for that Rate Schedule) and then we received another bill showing the NEM rate and some electric corrections ... and very shortly after that we received a black and white multi-page statement from PG&E captioned NEM Paired Storage Account which stated our TrueUp with PG&E was the month of November. This is the first of the detailed billing for Net Energy Metering. We have SCVE as I mentioned and so this detailed bill summary might be specific for anyone with a third party electricity generator as opposed to PG&E.

Last edited:
It took PG&E a few months to get my bill right. My billing date was not affected. It wasn't until the bill I received almost 2 months post-PTO where they finally got things right (the bill a month after PTO was still showing me as on E-1, just with less consumption that month), with several added pages refunding the previous month's charges and then re-applying them as NEM2MT instead for the PG&E Electric Delivery Charges, and NEM E-TOU-A for the SJCE Electric Generation Charges. Then I received the NEM statements for the first 2 months, sent separately but at the same time. For months afterwards the website showed me as having a balance due even though the monthly bills showed everything was paid in full. So things were screwed-up for quite a while, and I guess to an extent still are.

For me, both before and after getting solar I've never seen anything on their website indicating what rate I'm currently on, it seems like there's a spot that should say it, but it's always been blank. Doesn't seem I get any option to choose different plans, either (the current screenshot mentions "MANAGE YOUR RATE PLAN", but the word Manage doesn't appear anywhere else on the page and the only clickable item in that picture is the FAQ, and under Rate Plans on the top bar of the page there is a "Change Your Rate" option, which is a generic page outside the account saying to sign-in to make changes).

My True-Up date was aligned with my existing billing date, so while I received PTO on 4/26, my first True-Up date was 4/12/20.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.40.45 PM.png

Care to share just the portion of the screen I should be looking for? I don't see anything related to NEM or anything on my main account page. Just EV2-A.
No one has been allowed to be on NEM1 for a long time. Only NEM1 customers where allowed to stay on tiered power and not have to use TOU, by default, if you have any of the TOU stuff, which includes, eva2, you by default have NEM2, which is what it is about, TOU.
No reason to state it anywhere directly.

No one has been allowed to be on NEM1 for a long time. Only NEM1 customers where allowed to stay on tiered power and not have to use TOU, by default, if you have any of the TOU stuff, which includes, eva2, you by default have NEM2, which is what it is about, TOU.
No reason to state it anywhere directly.

What does this have to do with NEM1? I expect to see EV2-A and NEM2 somewhere.

What does this have to do with NEM1? I expect to see EV2-A and NEM2 somewhere.

Near the top of your Account page next to your Name, there is a drop down menu. Select "my rates and services". You will then see your Electric and Gas Services and you can select the Electric Service ID to get the Service Details which will show NEM2

If you have Powerwalls its a bit of a PITA.

To see that I am on NEM2 I can just go to the bottom of the bill. For me it says NEM2MTH that stands for Net Energy Metering 2, Multiple Tariff.

To see what rate plan (schedule) I am on I have to go to the account, choose service details and then look at the pdf (black billing details). I am on EVA1 so mine says EVA/NEMPS.(NEM PAIRED STORAGE ACCOUNT)

It will probably take 6-12 weeks for your proper Powerwall billing to start. PG&E issued my PTO as of 4/24/2018 and didn't start the proper billing until 6/18/2018. They had to go back and recalculate and refund the bills for the time in between. One would hope that they have streamlined the process for Powerwalls since then.