Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long are you determined to keep your Model S for?

How many years will you keep your Model S?

• < 5 years

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • 15+ years

Votes: 32 24.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, but isn't that just listing BASIC specs? For example, they list "Standard definition backup camera", but we know the Tech Package gets you an HD Camera.

Good point...but in a way that illustrates my point. They list The high def backup camera as part of an upgraded package, but don't list power folding mirrors anywhere as part of an upgrade package.

But having said that, We can all admit we've seen Tesla "refine" the list of features and amenities a few times...no reason to believe there won't be more of that.

And yes Andrew, adjustment is power (from the features page).

To get back on topic, it will be interesting to see how the longevity of the Model S (battery excluded) pans out. Most are expecting the car to last a long time. This is also a car coming from a new company off their first production line. What ends up being more important regarding long-term reliability? Simplicity of EV design or manufacturing experience?

My personal opinion is that all of the non-drivetrain components will wear out long before the drivetrain.

I had car #1 for 10 years and still have car #2, which is pushing 12 years. I sure hope the S will last 10-15 years -- longer? Shorter? I feel like there are many unknowns re. maintenance, how the battery holds up, etc., so while I get the impression it should last longer than 15 years, I can't answer 15+ -- can't predict how long it'll last, battery upgrade/replacement possibilities, etc. Plus some things (e.g., cruddy roads around DC, insane drivers on the road) don't change no matter what one drives, eh? ;-)

I don't need the latest hot new whatever and am surprised at how short some folks keep their cars. (shrug) I don't think I'd drop the Model S just to get the latest thing. Well, unless it's a hovercraft. . . . ;-)

By hovercraft you mean

a)
Swift_2-03_HS.jpg

or b)
Back-To-The-Future-Part-II-DeLorean-Time-Machine-1_7323-l.jpg

?? ;-)

It's probably worthy of its own poll, but it likely plays into my answer so I'll ask anyway...

Assuming...
1. The original battery pack drops to 70% max charge in exactly 8 years.
2. The original battery pack drops to 0% max charge in exactly 8 years 1 day.
3. Replacement cost for the battery pack is $20k for 85 kWh after 8 years and remains available at that price (or cheaper) for at least 20 years.

Make whatever additional reasonable assumptions you would like in coming up with your answers.

In how many years will the collector market price for a "daily driver, original owner" Sig meet or exceed the original sticker price? And for Sig Perf?

In how many years will the collector market price for a "daily driver, original owner" Sig meet or exceed the original sticker price? And for Sig Perf?

I'm assuming no chance. First Tesla would have to stop producing the Model S to drive up demand. If a newer, more affordable version directly from Tesla exists few would buy a used Model S at a premium. And the Roadster production has already been terminated, yet the car's resale value is in line with the usual steep depreciation for luxury cars. Perhaps over time Tesla will develop the sort of cachet that Ferrari has, but there are very few cars that demand greater resale value over time.

It's probably worthy of its own poll, but it likely plays into my answer so I'll ask anyway...

Assuming...
1. The original battery pack drops to 70% max charge in exactly 8 years.
2. The original battery pack drops to 0% max charge in exactly 8 years 1 day.
3. Replacement cost for the battery pack is $20k for 85 kWh after 8 years and remains available at that price (or cheaper) for at least 20 years.

Make whatever additional reasonable assumptions you would like in coming up with your answers.

I assume 1 and 3 of those brianman, option 2 would be unrealistic but good for others here to know when making that choice. I also do not expect to sell my Model S for a profit or even recouporate what I spent originally on it 8 years from now even with a new 85 kWh battery in it. On the other hand, I wasn't planning on letting go of it for at least 10 years to justify and spread my cost out over that time. If it lasts 15 years+, icing on the cake!

I had car #1 for 10 years and still have car #2, which is pushing 12 years. I sure hope the S will last 10-15 years -- longer? Shorter? I feel like there are many unknowns re. maintenance, how the battery holds up, etc., so while I get the impression it should last longer than 15 years, I can't answer 15+ -- can't predict how long it'll last, battery upgrade/replacement possibilities, etc.

I have a 1996 Volvo purchased used in 1999 with 24k miles at the time. It still runs well and has 130k miles. Also have a 2001 Sienna, purchased used in 2005 with 38k miles at the time. Now has 132k miles. I expect Model S to last at least 15-years. Software and battery upgrades will be a key to its longevity.

I have a 1996 Volvo purchased used in 1999 with 24k miles at the time. It still runs well and has 130k miles. Also have a 2001 Sienna, purchased used in 2005 with 38k miles at the time. Now has 132k miles. I expect Model S to last at least 15-years. Software and battery upgrades will be a key to its longevity.

Good to read someone here keeps their cars a long time; I felt like I was at the top end with 10-12+ years for an ICE. ;-)

Looking back, I think I have averaged about 3-5 years for my 17 cars, but ownership is usually terminated either by a) the old junk car dying (9), or b) me moving too far to for it to make sense to bring it (6). The last two I still have, going on four years now (knock on wood).