Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before BT receiver powers down for phone key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came back to my car yesterday to discover that it had been unlocked for several hours in a parking lot. Fortunately nothing had been taken.

This seems to happen if you linger around the car for a few minutes instead of immediately walking away upon exiting. I suspect this is because the BT receiver gets powered down after a timeout period.

Does anyone know exactly how long the timeout is? Also, what’s the point of powering off the receiver if it only draws minuscule amounts of power (especially in comparison to Sentry Mode)?

Hmm. I'm not sure your analysis is correct, though my counter-evidence is merely anecdotal. I've had times when I've arrived home and proceeded to do some task in the garage, thus never getting more than a few feet away from the car. But still it toots and locks itself. It does not seem to be waiting for me to achieve some distance before locking.

Now if you happen to leave your phone inside the car... :oops:

The Bluetooth receiver always stays on, that's how it knows that you are approaching the car.

If the car doesn't lock, aside from not having the autolock set in configuration, then I'd assume that a door was ajar. If any door, or trunk is not closed, it will not lock. Yes, you always NEED to listen for the beep to be safe.

The car will lock shortly after you get out of the car and the doors close. I believe that it is specifically "no weight in driver's seat" and all doors shut, that enables the locking.

unless for whatever reason you unlocked it with the key card, then you must lock it with the key card or manually by pushing the button in the app.

I don't believe that's true.... there's been a number of times my wife has picked me up (she only has a keycard-so that's how she unlocked and turned it on- I have the phone key) and when we then stop somewhere and get out the car does walk away unlock from my phone moving out of range- no need for her to get the card out to lock it.

Good point. I'm going to turn the beep back on.

Had a friend, new car, first night. We noticed that it wasn't getting the lock beep. But she pulled it in the garage and plugged it in. She was notching that it wasn't going to sleep. I first thought that it was continually checking with the app. But then she found out that the trunk wasn't completely closed. The car beeped and went to sleep.

The Bluetooth receiver always stays on, that's how it knows that you are approaching the car.

If the car doesn't lock, aside from not having the autolock set in configuration, then I'd assume that a door was ajar. If any door, or trunk is not closed, it will not lock. Yes, you always NEED to listen for the beep to be safe.

The car will lock shortly after you get out of the car and the doors close. I believe that it is specifically "no weight in driver's seat" and all doors shut, that enables the locking.

Are you talking about auto presenting handles on the S and X? The 3 doesn’t have this feature so it doesn’t need to know when you are approaching the car. It waits for you to press on a door handle. That’s why there is sometimes a slight delay between pressing the handle and it actually unlocking.

Are you talking about auto presenting handles on the S and X? The 3 doesn’t have this feature so it doesn’t need to know when you are approaching the car. It waits for you to press on a door handle. That’s why there is sometimes a slight delay between pressing the handle and it actually unlocking.

No, I was referring to the unlock. I don't think that it waits for door handle, but I may be wrong. Actually I don't think it does, since the app can show connected when near the car.

Hmm. I'm not sure your analysis is correct, though my counter-evidence is merely anecdotal. I've had times when I've arrived home and proceeded to do some task in the garage, thus never getting more than a few feet away from the car. But still it toots and locks itself. It does not seem to be waiting for me to achieve some distance before locking.

Now if you happen to leave your phone inside the car... :oops:

Are you opening and closing doors or the trunk? If so, that would keep it awake. I just tried this myself. I left my phone nearby the car in the garage for 30 minutes. I then retrieved the phone and put it inside the house. I checked the car and it had not locked.

No, I was referring to the unlock. I don't think that it waits for door handle, but I may be wrong. Actually I don't think it does, since the app can show connected when near the car.

Well, true, if you are looking at the app then the car is awake. Try it in the morning without opening the app while the car is in deep sleep. It usually takes half a second or so for the car to actually unlock.

Are you opening and closing doors or the trunk? If so, that would keep it awake. I just tried this myself. I left my phone nearby the car in the garage for 30 minutes. I then retrieved the phone and put it inside the house. I checked the car and it had not locked.

Well, true, if you are looking at the app then the car is awake. Try it in the morning without opening the app while the car is in deep sleep. It usually takes half a second or so for the car to actually unlock.

No, I'm pretty sure it happens when the car is asleep. I can't check right now because it is in a different state. But then again, checking it with the app wakes it up.
But I'm pretty sure that when it is in the garage and asleep that it opens pretty immediately. I've generally said that it's because I'm close enough, long enough for the Bluetooth to talk.

But before I go too far are you stating this because it is a known fact or a known assumption? There's too many assumptions that go on around the forums (I.e. batteries).

Facts are hard to come by because Tesla tends to be pretty tight lipped about the inner workings of their products. No, it is a reasonable assumption based on the evidence I’ve collected thus far. A cursory inspection of the syslog on the ICE would enable me to state with certainty whether my assumption is correct. Obviously, Tesla does not allow owners to access the syslog.