Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before delivery did you install wall charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i’m having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed next week. My delivery date has varied from tomorrow through September, currently July/August. Mainly that was because electricians are fairly backed up around here and I had to schedule 3-4 weeks out.

It’s that availability issue that made me lean toward the outlet instead of the wall connector. Whether I install a second mobile connector (either the normal 32-amp or the expensive 40-amp model), a J1772 charger, or whatever I settle on, I want to be able to disconnect it if there’s an issue and use something else to charge, without having to wait on an electrician.

Reactions: Gellie
i’m having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed next week. My delivery date has varied from tomorrow through September, currently July/August. Mainly that was because electricians are fairly backed up around here and I had to schedule 3-4 weeks out.

It’s that availability issue that made me lean toward the outlet instead of the wall connector. Whether I install a second mobile connector (either the normal 32-amp or the expensive 40-amp model), a J1772 charger, or whatever I settle on, I want to be able to disconnect it if there’s an issue and use something else to charge, without having to wait on an electrician.
I second this approach. When my wife lets me buy a Taycan, I want to be able to charge it without hiring an electrician.

Reactions: Darblish
I had mine installed about two weeks before what ultimately became my delivery date. I just went ahead and installed it when it came in because my date kept moving and I wanted to be able to charge it at home if it was one of the earlier dates that it would move to.

And thinking about it now, it’s weird you don’t set the charger up or control it through the Tesla app. It has a web portal you connect to by typing in an IP address on your local network.

Reactions: username123
Start the process now; get at least 2 quotes from licensed electricians. There will likely be paperwork that the electrician will need to file for the permit. Electricians can get backed up with work. Also, in summer no one wants to work in a hot attic so hopefully the needed wiring can be installed from inside your home or garage. You should figure out where you want the Wall Connector installed based on where you will park. Note that the charging cord is 18.5 ft. in length so make sure you pick a location that enables you to charge from your preferred parking spot. The Tesla Model Y's charging port is located on the driver's side, left rear quarter panel next to the turn signal.

I put mine in today, a week after delivery. I found there was a HUGE variation in pricing. I went with a Nema 14-50 as well. There was clearly an associated Tesla tax if I said it was for a Tesla charger and reached out to one of the Tesla approve installers.

I searched through Craigslist and found a licensed electrician to do the work. I didn't tell him it was for EV charging but my son's RV which is partly true. My quotes ranged from ~$700 to the guy I finally ended up using who bid $250. Turned out to be more work than he planned and I had to buy some additional wire, so I gave him some more money. All in I was at $330 and just plugged in my MY for the first time at home.

All in all it turned out very well. I am glad I positioned the receptacle as I did. The mobile charger cable is far shorter than the one on another EV we have. Currently the car has to sit outside and that makes it critical how I park. I'll wire in my wall charger when it shows up.

Just received my Tesla wall charger. However my “EDD” is 7/26-8/15. Should I wait until I get a VIN before installing ?
I installed my wall charger once it arrived, and I had ordered it right after placing my MYP order. I didn't feel rushed to get it installed since the car wasn't sitting here waiting on it yet.

It was really nice having it in place before the car arrived so I could charge at home right away. I've not yet had one ounce of range anxiety (which I had originally expected at least a little bit of).

• Helpful
Reactions: cjxmtn and Acps110
Nothing stopping you from putting a 14-50 plug on the wall charger either. My mobile charger is likely enough but there are times I could see where a faster charge would be useful and keep me from making an SC stop while out.

Nothing stopping you from putting a 14-50 plug on the wall charger either. My mobile charger is likely enough but there are times I could see where a faster charge would be useful and keep me from making an SC stop while out.
There is nothing to stop people from adding a power plug to the Tesla Wall Connector. However, the NEC specifically prohibits adding a power plug to any electrical equipment that is designed by the manufacturer to be hard wired.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I installed my wall charger once it arrived, and I had ordered it right after placing my MYP order. I didn't feel rushed to get it installed since the car wasn't sitting here waiting on it yet.

It was really nice having it in place before the car arrived so I could charge at home right away. I've not yet had one ounce of range anxiety (which I had originally expected at least a little bit of).
What’s the warranty/return policy from Tesla shop if you wait 3 months and discover it is missing parts or doesn’t work? If you are certain you want a Tesla (and who isn’t) install it now and have a neighbor with a Tesla test it for you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Had my wall charger installed June 9th and MY delivery was on June 15th. I was a bit surprised when MY delivered with only 1/2 charge (staff indicated Dallas deliveries so numerous that 1/2 charge was policy to address their onsite supercharger availability). No worries since wall charger performed admirably on first night.

I have an oversized garage so positioned charger to reach both my current MY as well as the future cyber truck (assuming it finally goes into production). Looking forward to being 100% EV next year.