Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before delivery did you install wall charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends on how many miles per day, on average you drive. Charging on a 120V/20A circuit can add 4+ miles of range per hour that you charge. In most cases you would have at least 8 hours to charge over night. If you drive ~30 miles per day it would be adequate. You would need to purchase the Tesla NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter ($35) from the Tesla store. Otherwise you could use the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter that comes with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. This will let you charge from any 120V outlet at 3 miles of range per hour.

Since you are moving within one year it may not make sense to install a new electrical circuit. You can find weather housings with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle on Amazon.

Last edited:
When I decided to get the Y delivery was 2 weeks which turned into 4 weeks. Ordering a car late July early August last year, cars were readily available and delivered rather quickly. Unfortunately the wall connectors were backordered and as soon as some would come out they were swapped up by eBay buyers asking twice the price creating a sellers market similar to Tesla tequila. Finally after about 2 months, I was able to order one so yeah, about 2 months after delivery. I had the benefit of using a charger at work when I had no wall connector which was not Tesla quick but worked much better than 120v at home which is painfully slow to say the least.

Reactions: doghousePVD
It depends on how many miles per day, on average you drive. Charging on a 120V/20A circuit can add 4+ miles of range per hour that you charge. In most cases you would have at least 8 hours to charge over night. If you drive ~30 miles per day it would be adequate. You would need to purchase the Tesla NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter ($35) from the Tesla store. Otherwise you could use the NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter that comes with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector. This will let you charge from any 120V outlet at 3 miles of range per hour.

Since you are moving within one year it may not make sense to install a new electrical circuit. You can find weather housings with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle on Amazon.

Thank you for this information. Yea working from home most of the time I'll drive maybe 15 miles/day max. So charging overnight on a 5-20 sounds good enough. If the price is right I'll still spring for the 14-50 outlet but we'll see.

Thank you for this information. Yea working from home most of the time I'll drive maybe 15 miles/day max. So charging overnight on a 5-20 sounds good enough. If the price is right I'll still spring for the 14-50 outlet but we'll see.
If you do anything as far as upgrading to a new charging circuit it should be a 240V circuit. The cost for the electrician, wire etc. would be the same as for a 120V circuit. The most common receptacle/plug for a 240V/20A circuit is the NEMA 6-20. This will enable you to add up to 14 miles of range per hour while charging.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
I would have gone to the exact opposite conclusion. In most parts of the US now, there is such a building boom that electricians are difficult to hire. So what if you install your charger two months early? OTOH, depending on your location and driving, going the first two months without a home charger can be a major PITA.

In my case the nearest SCs were about 50 miles away. My driving often has long legs that do not pass easily via a SC. My first weekend I had no at-home charging and scrambled to make do, even though I had started arranging for an install at least a month (maybe two) prior.

At my primary residence, the install was several weeks early. However there was a suspicious flashing red light on the charger. Researched it and found the internal settings were set to "test", not "64A". (HPWC version 2, 2018 X). Glad I resolved this early, as the very next morning after delivery we had a 200 mile day scheduled. The car has been delivered with a fairly low charge.

YMMV.
In Maryland it took me a month to schedule an electrician. There is no reason to wait

Reactions: jboy210 and Rocky_H
In Maryland it took me a month to schedule an electrician. There is no reason to wait
Yep. A charger install or worse a NEMA 14-50 install is a small/low profit task to many electricians. If they can fill their schedule with bigger/higher profit jobs they will. Also, there can be issues with panels being full, or needing an upgrade the panel to support the additional demand. So getting someone out sooner will lessen the time you go without fast home charging and make your EV ownership start off on the right foot.

Just got my 14-50 outlet installed today. I’m waiting for the mobile connector to be back in stock to order one (I’d like to keep one on the wall and one in the car, otherwise I’ll forget it all the time).

EDD is currently July/August, sometimes flipping to September for a day or two, and once showing September/October dates. Who knows when the car will arrive in order to actually use the charger.

Reactions: Peelz
I just installed my wall connector and my EDD is not until June. For me the WC installation was a pivotal part of the buying decision since I knew it would be expensive ($2,500). Since I had gotten estimates before placing my order I figured why not install since I already received the charger and the install quote was only good for a couple of weeks. Now at least I have a cool night light in my garage until delivery day.

Reactions: Johnny Vector