Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before delivery do you pay the balance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Plaid thing is super sketchy - they want our banking login credentials? F*** that. You should NEVER give that out. Tesla's encouragement of that makes me deeply question their security practices. (Then again, I've no reason to believe other automakers are any better about information security.)
Well I’m f***ed. I used the plaid online system to pay for my car and so far nothing sketchy. In fact Tesla wasnt able to pull money from that account and gave me a call 3 days after I took delivery to ask for new payment info. Then they waited another 3 business days to call me back and get my new account info to take the money out.

If anyone is uncomfortable with the Plaid thing but want Tesla to pull the money from your bank account, just give Tesla billing a call. They only ask for routing and account number over phone

Well I’m f***ed. I used the plaid online system to pay for my car and so far nothing sketchy. In fact Tesla wasnt able to pull money from that account and gave me a call 3 days after I took delivery to ask for new payment info. Then they waited another 3 business days to call me back and get my new account info to take the money out.

If anyone is uncomfortable with the Plaid thing but want Tesla to pull the money from your bank account, just give Tesla billing a call. They only ask for routing and account number over phone
Change your bank password that you gave Plaid, and then make sure they didn't do anything with your bank account. Then you should be good and safe. 👍

I have my delivery date set for Nov 27th and the website is asking for final payment. I just called my delivery dealership and asked if they take personal checks and he said no but didn’t sound convinced (I’m in south Florida) I asked when does payment need to be made by thrushes website he said he would “guess” 2 days before is fine?? Now I haven’t heard from the dealership I ordered from them thru the whole process. I scheduled a test drive online and got text messages from a rep. Once I ordered the car that was it, texted him no response for months. Only way I knew my car was ready was by constantly checking the website and doing everything thru the website. So I’m concerned that if I don’t pay online prior I will lose the car but I don’t want to send all that money before seeing the car. I have seen so many conflicting stories pay first it’s ok then don’t ever pay first. So has anyone in south Florida had any experience and did you pay in advance

According to Tesla’s own website:

Final payment is accepted via:

• Electronic check (direct debit) in your Tesla Account
  • Wire transfer
  • Certified check at time of pick-up, with your Reference Number (RN) and name in the memo line

So showing up on delivery day with a certified check is completely acceptable. As echoed throughout this thread I too recommend that you don’t give anyone a dime until you inspect and ensure you’re getting what you paid for.

I’m in Texas and was just told I cannot pay with a check at pickup and must make payment before delivery. Anyone else experience this?
Wow that really sucks, I bet it's because of the inane car dealership protection laws in Texas.

Write to your state representatives...

I’m in Texas and was just told I cannot pay with a check at pickup and must make payment before delivery. Anyone else experience this?

How has this worked for you? Also in Texas, waiting on a VIN for a delivery this month. I was planning to use what I get for my current car as my down payment, but it looks like Tesla wants all the cash in hand before even putting it on the truck.

I’m fine with having to pay the full amount before delivery, but I’d like to know the car is here before selling my car and being without it for who knows how long.

How has this worked for you? Also in Texas, waiting on a VIN for a delivery this month. I was planning to use what I get for my current car as my down payment, but it looks like Tesla wants all the cash in hand before even putting it on the truck.

I’m fine with having to pay the full amount before delivery, but I’d like to know the car is here before selling my car and being without it for who knows how long.

I just spoke with Tesla order support about payment in Texas and they simply said it was their recommendation to have payment made at least 48 hours prior to scheduled delivery. Insurance is more important since it takes around 3 days to get temporary tags. I had been under the impression you need to make payment prior to the car being shipped, but that does not appear to be the case.

I just spoke with Tesla order support about payment in Texas and they simply said it was their recommendation to have payment made at least 48 hours prior to scheduled delivery. Insurance is more important since it takes around 3 days to get temporary tags. I had been under the impression you need to make payment prior to the car being shipped, but that does not appear to be the case.
That’s good to hear, seems like things are starting to change with the HQ move. This helps a lot, thank you!

Technically that is a one time use to verify the account, and not supposed to store user/pwd.

The other way is a longer old mechanism of sending debit/credit of insignificant amounts that you then manually verify.
Wire the payment. Fast and you don't need to share your banking login nor wait days for account or transfer verification.

Reactions: enemji
and if you wire it to a wrong account due to a typo, Good Luck!
Yeah don't do that.

Obviously double check the numbers, and if you're reading them to a person over the phone, have them read everything back to you (which they should do without you asking).

Once a routing number is entered the system will show the destination bank. At that point you're pretty safe, the money is going to that bank.

If you're afraid of wire transfers good luck buying a home...

Yeah don't do that.

Obviously double check the numbers, and if you're reading them to a person over the phone, have them read everything back to you (which they should do without you asking).

Once a routing number is entered the system will show the destination bank. At that point you're pretty safe, the money is going to that bank.

If you're afraid of wire transfers good luck buying a home...
👍