Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before I can use Cruise Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, I'll drive it a little more this weekend. Took me ages to find the odometer (on the Service screen of all places - unless it's somewhere else too) and I never did find a trip odometer ... unless that's on the charging screen

...and on the app too - currently showing 42 miles

interestingly, the manual doesn't mention anything about a "running in" period

thx

From the manual:

Drive to Calibrate Cameras
Model Y must maneuver with precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features can be used for the first time or after some types of service repairs, cameras must complete a self-calibration process. For your convenience, the touchscreen displays a progress indicator.

When calibration is complete, Autopilot features are available for use. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions. For example, calibration completes quicker when driving on a straight road with multiple lanes, such as a freeway or highway, with highly-visible lane markings (in the driving lane as well as the adjacent lanes). Contact Tesla only if your Model Y has not completed the calibration process after driving 100 miles (160 km) in the described conditions.

NOTE: To calibrate, cameras require highly-visible lane markings in both the driving lane and adjacent lanes (at least two lanes over on each side of the vehicle). For best results, drive in the middle lane of a freeway or highway (ideally with at least five lanes) that has clear lane markings and minimal traffic.
NOTE: If you attempt to use a feature that is not available until the calibration process is complete, the feature is disabled and the touchscreen displays a message.

NOTE: Model Y must repeat the calibration process if the cameras are serviced by Tesla, and in some cases, after a software update.

NOTE: If a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model Y repeats the calibration process.

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
ok, NOW I see it

you have to swipe the card into view sideways and then swipe it up and down to get Odometer, Trip A and Trip B

I didn't realise this, I just saw the "Since last charge" text, tried the three dots, but that was just a reset. I never thought to go up and down, and the manual doesn't even contain the word "odometer". I know because I looked!

Forty years in a career in IT and I've read through most of the book beforehand yet I still didn't know how to complete delivery or where the odometer was. I wonder what other things I'm missing

...and thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated

Reactions: GeezerSquid
From the manual:

[snip]

I see it now, page 84, plain as daylight lol

I should have looked up the word "calibrate" as this got me to the correct one of the 25 references

I did manage to figure out how to limit the height of the tailgate when open so that it doesn't slam into the roof of the carport though (have to regain some self-respect here). That was one of the first things I did because the test-drive vehicles in Dallas North Park seem to have the lip of the tailgate all dinged up because people open them in the low ceilinged parking garage. You'd think they'd have compensated for that once the first one got banged up

Reactions: OxBrew
Took her out for the first "long" drive yesterday (Dallas to Fort Worth and back) and on the way out the cruise control came alive!

Then I noticed on the way back the windshield wipers were working from time to time, so I looked into it and they revert to Auto when TACC is active. Bit annoying really and I wish they wouldn't

Now I have to go back to the manual and figure out how to step up TACC by 1 mph. I remember reading that, but it didn't sink in, so I'll have to look it up again

So much to learn on this vehicle. It's like being at work!

She's having a feed right now

Reactions: OxBrew
you have to swipe the card into view sideways and then swipe it up and down to get Odometer, Trip A and Trip B

I didn't realise this, I just saw the "Since last charge" text, tried the three dots, but that was just a reset. I never thought to go up and down, and the manual doesn't even contain the word "odometer". I know because I looked!
Up and down? I never tried sweeping up and down! This car is a constant source of discovery, which is kind of weird for a car.